STDs Expert Forum
Is it possible for an STD to by symptomatic in 12 hours

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

I had protected sex (using a condom with spermicidal lubricant) followed by unprotected oral sex with a woman.  She said that she was clean and healthy, but one can never know.  I had no ill effects during the evening, but the following morning, less then 12 hours after the sex, I had an irriation in the penis.  It is not a burning sensation during urination, but rather a sort of constant uncomfortable feeling.  I also noticed that I urinate more frequently during the day(not at night).  I saw no discharges (checked the underware as well).  

This irritation has continued for the past 2 days.  It is not localazed to the tip of the penis and appears to be inside.  If I sqeeze the shaft, I can sometimes feel the discomfort.

The question is  whether it is possible that these symptoms are indicative or an STD or is it more likely that some kind of an irritant (like the spermicide which I never tried before) got into the urithra?

All my research indicates that the shortness of time (12 hours) to the onset of symptoms and the lack of noticable discharge points away from STDs.
Tags: irritable
It would be almost unheard of for you to develop STD symptoms within 12 hours of exposure and then for them not to progress further.  There could have been irritation from the spermicide (about 9% of people react to them, particularly if previously exposed), or latex allergy.  Each would be likely to resolve over a day or two,  I would watch it and, if not gone in another day or two, seek evaluation by an STD specialist who can not only test for gonorrhea and chlamydia but also do a swab test to look for the white blood cells indicative of nongonococcal urethritis.

Good luck.  EWH
Thank you Dr. Hook,

When you say "then for them to not progress further" what do you mean?  What would further progress entail?  What kind of additional symptoms would I expect to see?
Increased discomfort, penile discharge.  EWH
My discomfort is the same as it was the morning after.  The penile discharge is hard to tell.  If I squeeze the pinus, nothing comes out, but when I run my finger over the tip, I feel slight wetness.  This has always been the case with me (as long as I remember), so I never pay attention.

The frequent urination seems to suggest chlamedia, but is it really possible to get symptoms 12 hours after exposure?

As I said, very unlikely but it is now time for yo to go get checked out.  Knowledge is power and this will help to put things behind you.  EWH