STDs Expert Forum
Is this an STD or something else?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Is this an STD or something else?

I am male, 24 years old.  I Had unprotected sex about 6 weeks ago.

I went to see my doctor on Monday about this. He had a look at my tongue and down my thighs as I had a rash between there.He said that was common for runners to get and gave me a cream for it. On Wednesday night a tiny red bump appeared just below my the area that leads up to my scrotum.  It was weird because I felt it was coming.  Like i had tingling sensations there.  

The next day it was a lot bigger. It only hurt if i touched it, it didnt hurt when i used the toilet to relieve myself and the area around it was fine as well.  The bump only hurt when it was touched. I thought it might have been an ingrown hair so I followed some advice on the internet and covered the area with a hot towel for about 15 minutes and left it alone. About 3-4 hours later, red/pinkish/whitish pus came out of the bump. It came out through a white tip. A few hours later the bump was practically gone, it was still there but it was no where near as big, and the white tip still remains.
Now today the bump is practically non existant, but it is still there.  the only thing that really remains is the white tip where the pus came from. It randomly stung for a few seconds at lunch earlier today.  The bump only hurts when touched.  

My doctor said when I saw him on monday that the only STDS I shoudl worry about now, since I had no symptoms of anything else up until monday was HIV and Herpes, which I will be going back to test for in 2 months. What do you guys think it was? Could it be herpes? Could it be any other STD?
Welcome to our Forum.  Your ask good questions- I'll try to help.

First, you are one of our few clients for whom the internet was on target and helpful for.  The lesion at the base of your scrotum sounds very much like a small abscess and indeed could be due to an ingrown hair. Putting a hot wash cloth on it was just the right thing to do.  Another thing that helps is sitting in a hot tub- both of these actions help the abscess to come to a head and drain which is what it needs to do. In some cases antibiotics are also helpful but that is something you should discuss with your doctor.

As  for STD screening, you may qualify for you qualify for periodic STD "screening" (testing in the absence of symptoms) because you have had a new, and perhaps multiple, partners over a period of less than a year.  As a matter of personal protection, we recommend annual testing for anyone who has had two or more sex partners in the past year (we consider this to be health maintenance- we also recommend you get your blood pressure and cholesterol checked regularly).   STDs like gonorrhea and chlamydia can be asymptomatic and can be tested for using a simple urine test.  Testing for HIV and syphilis, although far less common than gonorrhea of chlamydia, is also easy to do as well.

What you describe does not raise concerns for herpes and in your situation we would recommend against a blood test for herpes- the chance of a false positive result is higher in your case than the probability that this is HSV.  

I hope my comments are helpful. EWH
Thank you for the quick and informative reply.  This makes me feel a lot better.  I was told to go back in about 2 months to get tested for HIV and Herpes, which is what I will do.

I do not understand what you meant in your last paragraph

"What you describe does not raise concerns for herpes and in your situation we would recommend against a blood test for herpes- the chance of a false positive result is higher in your case than the probability that this is HSV. "

Can you please explain it to me again?  
Not sure what is difficult to understand.  Nothing about the lesion you describe is worrisome for herpes.  In this situation, we do not recommend blood tests for herpes.  EWH