STDs Expert Forum
Is this bump herpes?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Is this bump herpes?

First and foremost I just wanted to thank you doctor for taking the time to read and answer my question.

Approximately one week ago I developed one pimple-like bump on the outer labia of my vagina that was approximately a little bit smaller than a pencil eraser.  This occurred after treatment for a yeast infection.  A few days later the bump appeared to develop a white head very similar to a pimple.  I proceeded to pop this bump and it behaved just like a popped pimple with white pus and small traces of blood.  The bump then appeared to flatten and shrivel slightly.  A small white head reappeared on this bump, which I popped again.  The bump does not have any pain associated with it, but it does have some slight discomfort when my pants rub against it.  I continued to mess with the bump and it now appears as a very pink/red slighty raised bump.  It does not appear to look like an ulcer.  I am very scared that this may be herpes because I know that you may have only one sore as a symptom of herpes.  I also shave so I did not know if this could be a reason as to why the bump appeared.  I am sexually active, but have not had unprotected sex in a year and have had no other symptoms prior to this incident.
This doesn't sound like herpes; more likely just a pimple.  Herpes lesions are superficial; even when they evolve from blister to "pustule" (pimple-like), they are more or less on the surface of the skin, usually without the firm bump that you feel with a pimple.  Pimples are more in the skin than on top of it.

That said, no online doc can be certain, and I'm not attempting to make a specific diagnosis.  But you can resolve the herpes question very easily:  see a healthcare provider and have a type-specific blood test for HSV-2, such as the HerpeSelect test.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I have this very same problem. But I have two small bumps. The first one went away after putting neosporin on it, but it did have puss in it as well as a small trace of blood. If i squeez these bumps i feel a firm lump but i am not sure what is going on because they have been there for some weeks now. Do You this this might be herpes?
I have a similar problem recognizing an OB. The difference is I had a first OB and it's been recognized to be HSV, 2 months ago. Now on the top of my penis I have developed a small wound, that came out of a region that first got red and was hitching, starting approximately 3 weeks ago. I went to a dermatologist and he said it's not a second outbreak, just a wound... In my experience with wounds on that area it sounds a bit strange that there's no connection at all with my newly diagnosed HSV, also because it's itching sometimes, it's lasting for quite a long time and it came out from a region that first became red, itchy and hipersensitive... My question is, is it possible that the dermatologist was wrong? is it easy for a specialist to recognize a sore or it could be an error (he didn't analyze the sore for a long time but he seemed quite sure about it)

Thank you for the help
Regards