STDs Expert Forum
Itch Question

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Itch Question

Hi Dr.

I have a few questions for you. First lets start with that I am currently six months pregnant with our third child. Since about a week and a half into the pregnancy I have been irritated down there. I seem to itch a lot of the time. My husband and I did split up for a little bit and I did have a relationship with someone else during that time. When we did get back together is when all this started and I became pregnant right after we got back together. So my question to you is that could this be herpes? I was tested in the beginning of the pregnancy for everything else all neg. I have had no sores no broken skin just the itch. The only thing is that the itch is located in one spot. I do have swelling which I know is from the pregnancy and have been diagnoed with vaginal varicose veins. But I am still so scared. It has been almost eight months since the "potenital exposure" and my husband and I do have intercoarse and to this day he shows no symptoms. One more thing when I don't wear underware and air can get to the area I am fine no itch nothing. Please Help me
Conceivably it could be herpes, but a yeast infection is more likely
One more thing the itch is located by the opening where the veins are swollen. I look all the time with a mirror and I have not seen any change in the appearance of the skin. I have read a fair amount of info on the internet and some sites say itch can be the only symptom that you could have is that true? Could herpes make me itch for all these months straight?
Sorry to keep doing this but I have one more thing to add after I shower and the area is dry and clean I don't itch I only begin to itch when the area becomes moist and warm which is a lot of the time since I am pregnant Could this be yeast?
I have paid a lot of attention to my symptoms today I seem to itch at the entance of my vagina. I also starting treating myself for yeast and it does seem better. I am beginning to wonder if I have a yeast infection this whole time. Since my husband has shown no symptoms of any discomfort in his genitals. I have also been examined by my ob that was how I was diagnosed with the vaginal varicose viens she saw nothing that would look like herpes. I was just wondering if the itch alone was enough to think it was herpes.
Sorry for all the extra comments I just wanted to make sure you know all there is to know. This is a wonderful site you are doing a great thing for many people Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
My biggest question was could herpes make me itch all this time with no stopping? Wouldn't I have had some relief and some point?
Continuous itching almost certainly isn't due to herpes.

HHH, MD
Hi Doc-
Thank you so much for answering my questions. You have made me feel much better. I really now think it probably is yeast and that the infection is pretty bad I beginning to think I may not be able to kick it before the baby is born ( as so my doctor thinks too. ) Have a wonderful day And many thanks for all that you have done!