STDs Expert Forum
Itchy Lumps Around Anus

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Itchy Lumps Around Anus

Hey, I've had this itch around my anus for about 2 months now and it got so intense I used to scratch alot. I took a pic yesterday and noticed some small lumps around the area but not sure what they are. Doesnt pain only itch, becomes very itchy while walking.

I should mention on 2 occasions I noticed some bright red blood on the paper after wiping but this has only happend twice. I dont think they are hemeroids.. any ideas as I'm not sure if this is sexually related either.

Welcome to the forum.  I'll try to help.

Anal itching is among the most common symptoms there is, experienced by everyone from time to time.  Persistent itching like you describe isn't as frequent, but still very common. Few such cases are due to STD.  The most common cause is idiopathic pruritus ani.  But unfortunately, that really tells you nothing; it's Latin for itchy anus of unknown cause.  Other common causes include superficial yeast infections, hemorrhoids, and anal fissures, i.e. open anal wounds that can become self-sustaining because of poor healing in an area with large numbers of bacteria, moisture, etc.  That you have had occasional bleeding is consistent with both hemorrhoids and fissure.  Although some STDs could cause anal itching, no STD is likely to cause either persistent symptoms this long or bleeding.

It's difficult to comment about the "bumps" you have seen.  Skin irregularities and "bumps" may be entirely normal, especially on self-examination by someone without medical training.

It would be helpful to know more about your sexual exposures.  STDs are more likely if there has been anal exposure, e.g. if you have had receptive anal sex.  But anal fissures also are more common following anal sex, and hemorrhoids can be made worse.

So regardless of your sexual history, my advice is that you visit your primary care physician or clinic.  An accurate diagnosis may be immediately obvious, and is unlikely to be serious.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thanks for the reply Dr,

I have had receptive anal sex with my partner over the last few months yes and had a case of gential (genital) warts 2 months ago on my penis. I went to my local doctor at the time and without seeing my anus he was quick to say that the wart on my penis was not related to the itching of my anus and he gave me an ointment.

However in the image I linked...

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t4ree

I took this the other day and the bumps appear to be a little bigger and have not healed after the ointment.I'm unertain looking at them if they are anal warts or due to anal fissures worsened from intense scratching?
With apology, we don't examine posted photos on this forum.  In our view, it comes too close to practicing medicine from a distance.  Direct exam by a professional is the way to go.  I'll be interested to hear what you learn after you have been reevaluated.  But this info doesn't change my opinion or advice.
Ok thanks for the adivse.
Hi there. I looked at the picture - they are unequivocally anal warts. If the Dr could make an exception, I am sure he would agree as well.
If he could make an exception that would be great! but thanks for your reply to the post. That was my concern but dunno why my own doctor was so quick to dismiss as anal warts.

What makes you unequivocally sure that it is anal warts and not a fissure from the picture?
A fissure looks like, well, a fissure -- an open cut.  Warts look like -- guess what -- warts.  In any case, it shouldn't make any difference whether or not I look.  No matter what, you need to be professionally examined.  If you are confident these same bumps were present previously and your doctor didn't recognize them as warts, you might consider seeing a dermatologist for a second opinion; or your local health department STD clinic, where you can be sure they have lots of experience and would quickly diagnose warts versus something else.
I am sure because if their appearance. I am obviously not a Dr. but their large cauliflower appearance suggests it. Go to a dermatologist who wil be an expert in the field, not just a GP. See what they say.