STDs Expert Forum
Itchy Red Bumps on penis

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Itchy Red Bumps on penis

Hi there! Very concerned about this problem I've been havin...I've been having sex with 2 people...one a virgin, another not a virgin.  I've generally been good about washing after intercourse.  The non virgin has been tested and has a clean bill of health...which is where i felt this problem arised from.  She has been itching and breaking out, but not in the genital areas and has been to a dermatoligist.  He said scabies...which we both feel is not correct.  Shes going again today to a different doctor in hopes to find out something different.  
   My problem is I have Itchy Red bumps on my penis & scrotum. Some on the head(2) and shaft(5), others on the scrotum(4) as well.  I've been washing with a shampoo to clear up body/crab lice.  Could this be causing a problem?  I've been putting hydrocortizone all over to help w/ the itching and it seems to help for a couple hours. but the bumps are not going away.  This has gone on for over a week now.  I dont want to have sex...not because the drive isnt there...but I'm not sure whether they are contagious or not. Itching is not just in the genital areas either...I itch in my inner thighs, back, arms, buttocks, neck....but no bumps or outbreak...leading my girl to believe she hasnt passed what she has to me because she breaks out.  I have no health benfits and cannot afford to go see a doctor.  Is there somewhere I can get this checked out or something that I can do to help this problem out??  Any information you may have I will be so appreciative for and forever be in your debt!  I just want to get back to the old me!! Thanks
Why do you doubt the dermatologist's diagnosis of scabies?  Your symptoms sound typical for that disease.  Presumably s/he treated you for scables, but scabies itching and rash often take a couple of weeks to resolve.  Stop using hydrocortisone, which won't help and might interfere with diagnosis.

In many communities, the public health department or non-profit community clinics (usually publicly subsidized) are available for care of persons with limited resources.  A public health department STD clinic usually is a good bet for suspected scabies.  Call your local health department or your county medical society to find about sources in your area.

Good luck--   HHH, MD
Well, she went to another dr and was told that it wasnt scabies.  I only spoke w/ her for a few minutes...but she said it was something hereditary and is caused by stress.  Leaving me even more lost than ever.  I have no clue what these bumps are coming from and why they itch and wont go away.  Why is hydrocortizone bad?  I'll definitly look into the clinics u suggested!  Please help me!  Thank you very much for ur help!
I can't mediate duelling diagnoses made by different doctors who have actually seen and examined your partner.  But itchy red bumps on the penis and scrotum are classic signs of scabies--so my guess is that the doctor who diagnosed scabies was right, especially since you said s/he is a dermatologist.  And her second doctor might not have been able to confirm scabies because she already had been treated.

Steroid creams are fine when the primary problem is inflammation not caused by an infection.  But when an infections such as scabies is present, the steroid can inhibit your immune system from fighting it, prolonging the problem.  So you might get short term help (reduced itching) but prolong the problem or making it worse in the long run.  (Having said that, hydrocortisone is a very mild steroid--which is why it is available without prescription.  So it might not make much difference either way.)

Bottom line:  You still need to see a knowledgable health care professional.

HHH, MD
hi jack,im jay and am very intrested in your problem as i seem 2 have the same one!!!i would really like u to email me at ***@**** 2 talk more about your problem 2 see if it is in fact the same thing.....i have been to my doctor many times to which he has told me its scabies i have used the lotion 3 times and still nothing!!.......1 thing is for sure its not that!.....i noticed your last post was in october  its november now so do u still have the problem.......couse mine is still here...the spots on my penis and scrotum keep comming and going but the itching all over seems to stay and it drives me crazy!!well i really hope u get this and email me...thanks for your time!!!
A related discussion, related question was started.
what was the result of this ... It's gone now? How ???