STDs Expert Forum
Keflex for STD??

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Keflex for STD??

2 weeks ago I had unprotected sex with a stranger who promised me that she was up to date on her STD testing.  I performed oral sex on her, and we also had vaginal intercourse.  A few days later I developed a very sore throat and went to the doctor.  (I have had absolutely no other symptoms that seem STD related)  The doctor prescribed Keflex for my throat infection and told me it would be gone in a matter of days.  My question is:  Is it possible that my throat problem could have been an STD from performing oral sex on her or just a coincidence, and if so, is Keflex effective in treating STD's, or do I need to go get something else.  I'm very worried about this since I just started dating someone and don't want to pass anything on to her.
Cephalexin (Keflex) isn't the first choice for any STD, but in the usual dose would prevent or treat gonorrhea or syphilis.  It has no effect against chlamydia, and no antibiotic is effective against herpes or other viral infections.

You almost certainly had a viral infection, not an STD and probably unrelated to the sexual exposure you describe--except that you could have caught a cold from her.  Your doctor should have known better than to prescribe an antibiotic in that circumstance.

You don't need any further treatment, and I wouldn't worry about passing anything on to your new partner.

Good luck-- HHH, MD