STDs Expert Forum
Knife

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Knife

Hello
I am a male and always prefer to pick my food with the knife and not the fork. Yesterday at a Resturant I picked chicken and put it in mouth using a knife and accidentally cut my tinge and gums. Is there a risk? The knife was brought to me by the waiter and I imidiatly used it. Not sure if it cut him before me or if he touched it. My question is do I have a risk if it wasn't clean or had cut anyone else?
Welcome to our Forum.  Unfortunately, you have posted on the wrong site.   Questions about HIV belong on the HIV prevention site.  I will do my best to answer your questions with this reply but, if you have additional questions or follow-up they must be on the HIV Prevention site.  Sorry.

This was a no risk event (at least for HIV- as you have learned, using a knife in this way can lead to cuts :)).  For the waiter to have touched the knife in bringing it to you would not lead to transfer of HIV which you could acquire, even in the unlikely situation that the waiter had HIV.  HIV is not transferred in this way, in part because it dies very quickly on exposure to the environment,  

Just as an additional statement, not only is there no risk to you of HIV from this event but also no risk of other blood borne pathogens such as hepatitis B or C.

You have no reason to worry about infections from this cut.  I hope my comment is reassuring.  Take care. EWH
My concern is hiv
Thank you doctor. I was trying to post in the hiv form but it was full and didn't accept any new posts and that's why I posted here
No problem and thanks for the clarification- I hope my response was helpful. EWH