STDs Expert Forum
Levaquin for Chlamydia/Gonorrhea

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Levaquin for Chlamydia/Gonorrhea

Hi Doc...the other day I received unprotected oral from a woman (I'm a man) - no ejaculation. The entire encounter lasted maybe 2 minutes.

Is the chance of me contracting chlamydia non-existant? How about the probability of contracting gonorrhea?

I have a 6 day, 500mg dose of Levaquin left over from a previous ailment (non-STD related). If I was to have gotten one of these buggers, would that course be enough to get rid of it? Thank you.
Chlamydia rarely infects the mouth and throat and there has never been a proved case of chlamydia that was acquired by fellatio.  The risk of gonorrhea is higher, but still uncommon compared to vaginal sex.  I don't recommend self-treatment with leftover antibiotic.  But levofloxacin (Levaquin) is active against both gonorrhea and chlamydia.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
The doc has said there is no documented evidence that you can get chlamydia from receiving oral. There is a small, very small chance of gonnorrea. But if you had gonnorrea, you would have symptoms within a few days of exposure.  Why not hang on and see if you have it (again, slim chance) and if you get a drip, then you will have a better idea of what to do. You should never take left over antibiotics. If you get symptoms go to a doc. If not, then forget about it.
Is a 6 day treatment cycle enough to be considered effective?
A related discussion, levaquin was started.
A related discussion, Follow up for Dr HHH was started.