STDs Expert Forum
Likelyhood of STD Contraction from Bra/Oral Herpes Question
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Likelyhood of STD Contraction from Bra/Oral Herpes Question

Hello Dr., I have two questions. The first one involves something that I recently remembered and has been causing me anxiety ever since. When I was younger (not sure how long ago), I decided that it would be a good idea to smell and lick the inside of bra of a friend’s mother that I found on the floor. I don't know how long it had been there (it may have been very short time), but I do remember it had an interesting taste to it (almost spicy, could have been her soap or something but I'm not sure). I do not know whether or not she had any sort of STD, or if she had any cuts on her breasts that I did not know about, or if she was lactating (though the two children she had were well past nursing age. I do not know if she was pregnant, but she has since had no kids, etc. She was an older woman, not a teenage mother. My first question is, is there any chance that I could have contracted an STD or any other sort of disease from this? I became sexually active in the last 8 months (with only my girlfriend), and I do not want to give her anything I could have caught from the bra. I have not been sexually active with anybody else, besides the occasional childhood kiss when I was younger.

My second question is regarding oral herpes, which I have (not from sexual contact, but from my younger years). I rarely get cold sores, but on occasion I do get one (I don't know if it's from HSV-1 or HSV-1). How careful should I be with my girlfriend if I do not have a VISIBLE cold sore? Could I still give it to her if there is not one present? She has had them in the past too, and so did her boyfriend of 6 years. She has been tested for STDs in the past, and she has told me that nothing has come up, but I know that the herpes test is not always accurate. Is it possible that she doesn't have herpes, and the cold sores are from something else? I really don't want to give her anything. Thanks! –E
Tags: bra, STD, lick, Herpes, Oral