Living with Mycoplasma Genitalium??

I'm a straight 34 year old guy, after ending a relationship with cheating GF,  got diagnosed with Mycoplasma Genitalium all this being around 2 1/2 - 3 yrs ago.., went to the Dr., after a series of consecutive STD tests that all showed negative results.. Based on my recurring symptoms (clear discharge, burning, testicle inflammation and swelling) the 4th Urologist that I saw finally recommended me to take the test which revealed the mystery behind it all...

As you probably all know, MG is a fastidious pathogen that lacks a cell wall, making it impossible to diagnose and to treat, most urologists treat it as a NGU, they recommend introductory AB's (like 1 week of doxy and cipro) that are meaningless to cure from Mycoplasma G. infection. My problem is that all of this happened while being called exaggerated on my symptoms by Drs., meanwhile time was passing by, and the infection progressed further down my prostate, even I recall one Dr. telling me it was psychological!!.

When I got the results, I ended having as treatment a course of Azithromycin 1gm dose, then 500mg for 7 days, waited couple of weeks to see results, but symptoms persisted, in fact they came back more severe and to my luck, new symptoms appeared: back pain, swollen joints, cold sores on tongue and skin redness (which I never had before), This was a immune reaction and according to the Infectious Disease specialist teamed with my Urologist back then, they assured me that with a course of 14 days of Moxifloxacin and Flomax (prostate pill) I was going to be ok//, nothing got better, at that time I was a nerve wreck, lost my job, with a bunch of other good things in my life..  

Basically, what I'm trying to find out is if there's really a cure for strong strains of MG, that are shown to be resistant to even Moxifloxacin, if so, what is the protocol>??, or is it recommended to take a new / longer course of Moxi (been several months since my last intake) I'm I find hard to believe that urologists don't answer simple questions like this nowadays---  

Its really frustrating to me that this disease is now labeled "treatable" not "curable" according to the recent 2 urologist specialists I have seen, This cannot be??, I've been robbed of my privileges of enjoying unprotected sex with my partner and eventually kids, because of this??

I want to know if there are other people on the same boat as I am?
To please come forward and share your experiences-
and also want to know, If you have found any alternatives to the treatment that worked?
It seems like you are under the care of some Dr's who at least have gotten to your issue. We can't give out medication info, suggest you keep working with the Dr's that you have found who diagnosed you.
I will also have someone else take a look at this.
Hi Vance, I appreciate your good intentions in helping me out/

Thanks-
Best advice I can give is pay and post in the STD Expert forum and Dr.HHH or Dr.Hook can give you better info.
i am sorry to here this. I feel you pain as I'm going though something similar. was the mycoplasma test that you took specific to MG or was it an overall test for mycoplasmas? what lab was it done at. Its hard to find labs in US that do MG testing. Also what method, urine, swab or seamon did they test.

thanks
robertr
Hendergab,

Any update on your search for help?
Hi Hendergab,
I am a straight male having your age and the exact same problem. I live in Denmark. and I contracted MG because of a girl who i thought she was clean and never mentioned anything about it.

I got the infection about 2 years ago and from all the resources i read online, the more you go untreated the more difficult it is to get treated later. MG is a very resilient bacteria, that can adapt quickly to antibiotics.

With that said, i remember my first visit to the clinic the doctor prescribed doxycycline which is completely useless and have a high failure rate against MG (more than 80% failure rate).

then i was given azithromycin for multiple treatments with a couple months span between each and nothing seemed to work. in fact just like what you said, after the end of each treatment cycle, the MG comes back raging with all sorts of symptoms.

I went back to the hospital and they finally said they want to run some tests on the strain of MG i am carrying in order to determine its resistance to antibiotics.

It wasn't until today (actually today) when i got the answer back from the hospital that the MG i am carrying has grown resistant to azithromycin and that I should start taking Moxifloxacin.

I haven't started the course yet -- as i just got this info but i am **** scared the new drug wont work and that my life will continue to be the way it is.

I know how depressing this can be because i am facing it every single day.

I will keep you posted!

Regards,
Im in the exact same boat as you.  Not much as help me.  Are your test now negative for myco?
Are you cured after taking moxifloxacin treatment ???
Were there any side-effects that you noticed while and after taking this treatment ?

Sitafloxacin is another antibiotic that is used mostly in japan to treat Mycoplasma Genetilium.
Solithromycin - a new antibiotic is on its way to be developed and will be in the market soon. It has been shown to be very effective against mycoplasma genetalium.
For details : see these two links:-
http://www.cempra.com/common/pdf/posters/2013%20ECCMID%20_%20M%20genitalia_Jensen.pdf.

http://www.cempra.com/products/Solithromycin-cem-101/.

You can discuss about this product with your doctor.
Heu just wondering how yo went with any further treatment. I was diagnosed with M.Genitalium approx a month ago. I contracted it from unproected sex about 3 months earlier. I completed a 5 day course of azithromycin which seemed to suppress the symptoms. After about two weeks i revisited my doctor and was prescribed a 10 day course of avelox of moxi... Its a pretty nasty drug from all reports but I'm about one week in and symptoms seem to have disappeared and I've so far managed to avoid any side effects.

Having said that I'm suffering from some nasty muscle aches. I have since the very early days of contraction and they seem to have hung around. I also get sporadic burning/itching sensations throughout my body. Is anybody else suffering from this?

I have been tested and cleared of chlymidia, gonnorhea, hep b & c, hiv, herpes. I'm just really curious if nobody else is offering the body aches at all. Mostly in my biceps and forearms on both sides.
how are you now?is MG tested negative?
Hi there Rob, yeah, the mycoplasma test that I took back then it was a straight PCR test for mycoplasma genitalium.

I believe most of the labs in the US have this test in their catalogs..

Wish you the best, now ive been taking natural treatments to cure my condition..
HI whoever533

Sorry for the late reply as I´ve been seeking other alternatives for curing this situation, hope that you´re ok and cured of this tiresome pathogen,

Im here to hellp-
Hey Shaky , its been a while since I took the test, it tested positive for mycoplasma genitalium,

How are you lately?
Hey roofbeers,

Yeah, had those symptoms as well, doctors say that it is because the immune system is trying to attack the pathogen, but because mycoplasma lacks a cell wall, the immune system gets confused and attacks good cells at the same time, making this an auto immune situation for some people like us..

I can give some good advise in natural treatments that have lowered my symptoms to almost to 0 or 1 in pain and inflammation.
please share
Hey there,
I have also been having the same symptoms with no lasting help from moxifloxacin or others such as zithro or doxy. What are the alternative treatments that you have been using? I really need to know. Please help!

How soon after contact did you experience symptoms of infection?

How did you get tested for M. Genitalium?  I heard most labs aren't equipped to test for this.

Thanks.

You mentioned you treated your M. Genitalium with azithromycin several times , but each time symptoms returned.  Then I assume symptoms diminished initially after taking azithromycin before eventually returning.  

So I'm not sure how symptoms could diminish at all if what remains should be azithromycin-resistant strain of M. Genitalium.  How long after taking azithromycin did symptoms return?  Perhaps it could be azithromycin may have analgesic properties that can alleviate symptoms for a short while.  But if symptoms don't return until a few weeks later, the possible analgesic property of azithromycin doesn't come into play.

So it seems azithromycin still has some activity on your M. Genitalium infection.  A long course of azithromycin could be effective.
I think I'm in the same situation as the Op, I've went thru several different courses of antibiotics cipro, doxy, flagyl, cefuratrax something and even moxy. And still have this clear discharge along with slight pain in and around scrotal area. Thank god hsv and hiv was negative too. My doc will be sending me to a infectious disease doc. God help us please!
Hender was these tests for myco done with urine or swab? Thanks
I'd like to hear about the natural treatments!
i like to ask questions to dr.HHH or Hooks so pls let me know how should i do that..thanks
HI there, Im going through these same problems now and its been really stressful. Ive done a 20 day course of mox and now my symptoms is lower but not gone. What was the natural remedy you did and how are you now?
Does anyone have updates they can share??
Sorry to hear all that, I think that is what I am facing now. I tested pos for chla, 4 months ago and then after month of AB tested negative, but still for past 3 months have clear mucus only if i stroke from base. That is my only symptom and this past week went to Health Dep and they said i have NGU. So i too am confused on what i got. With MG, is that something you can pass back to partner?  
I am 31 male from Australia who has just won the battle against MG after fighting it for 6 months.  I think I got it from someone in China.  Anyway, I tried doxycycline, ciprofloxacin, norfloxacin and azithromycin, none of them worked.  What did work was a combination of Moxifloxacin 400mg one per day for 10 days (in the morning), plus Rifampicin one pill per day for 10 days (at night).  I know many of you have tried with moxi and failed, but for me the combination of both Rifampicin and Moxifloxacin for 10 days did the trick.  Good luck to everyone
hi here

i think i got MG from a china girl also.
can you share ur experience here?
i just finish 14days of moxi,
3days after stop medicine i was tested negatively by PCR.However,i still feel the symthom.
may i know,
1,who teach you about the combination?
2.how u prove urself that u beat MG?pcr?
I am so happy to hear you have beat MG. It gives me hope there is a cure.

It is the first time I have read of this combination of antibiotics being used.

Like you, I have tried doxycycline, ciproflaxcin and azithromycin, but the symptoms still return after a while.

My biggest problem is the medical profession in the UK. Few doctors know much about MG and are therefore blind to the idea of investigating it as a root cause of other symptoms. It's a nightmare.

Tell me, what kind of doctor treated you ? Infectious disease specialist? STD doctor, or just your GP?

Did you get a PCR test after you had tried the doxy, cipro, azithro ? I ask because I initially tested positive by PCR test, tried certain antibiotics, had another 2 PCR tests over a year and they came back negative. I am sure I still have an MG infection as the symptoms are the exact same as when I tested positive.

hi there
are you tested negatively on MG even symthom persisted?
can you help me?
can u email me
***@****
I read that in Europe pristinamycin seems to be the last resort cure and that the UK allows its use for resistant MG strains.  It is also being used in Australia.  All of the scientific papers I can find from the last two years show that resistance to pristinamycin is quite low.  I don't know how expensive it is, maybe that is why it isn't used much.

I asked this question in another post, but it seems that it may be worth a trip to France and a quick meeting with a doctor to give it a shot.
Thanks for that info.

I have had to email an infectious disease consultant and a MG specialist in order to get a more accurate idea of the next steps forward. With this information, I am now armed with enough to prove my present consultant is dealing with my problem in the wrong way.

Never mind getting a cure, getting an open pair of ears and an informed mind is proving tough enough!

I'll do some research on pristinamycin. It's not one I've heard of.

Thanks again
I know the feeling about getting some open ears.  I was told several times it was impossible for me to have MG with the meds I had taken.  I showed the doctor some recent scientific papers on the subject and he showed me the latest app on his phone that they use for prescription info.  They pay a yearly fee to keep things updated and for its use, and there was no mention of any resistance and it was still calling for a single dose of azrithromycin for treatment.

Let us know what you find out, please.  It would very well be worth a few thousand dollars to me to fly over from the US to France and pick up a dose of pills.....if I knew it would work that is.  

From what I can gather it takes 1000 mg 3 or 4 times a day for 10 days.  Pyostacine is the trade name.  The active ingredients in the US are only available in as Synercid, which is an IV only drug that has to be administered twice a day for at least 7 days.  I can't find any info on whether it has been used in the US to clear up a MG infection.  Even if it worked, it would be a lot cheaper to fly to France and just take the pills.

For an infection that affects 25% of NGU cases and that almost 20% of those experience treatment failure with moxi and 40% with Azithromycin, it amazes me the number of medical professionals who are unaware of it.  I really wonder how many people are suffering from misdiagnosis.
Can you please provide the advice on natural treatments that have lowered your symptoms?
That is not a cure.
I understand, but I've been battling MG for awhile and am looking for any sort of relief I can get.  My doctor has just prescribed for me the course detailed by brisbane_guy (moxifloxacin and rifampicin) but everything I read on rifampicin is that MG is resistant to it.
What is the mg of rifampicin that your doctor prescribed ?

I was prescribed and taken all the meds, Azithromycin, Doxy, and moxcifloxacin but I still have symptoms. Another doctor has again prescribed me moxifloxacin 400 x 10 d. I'm yet to start the course.
I've been struggling with MG for about 5 months now.  Tried most of the anti-biotics - and the latest was a 14-day treatment of Avelox about 6 weeks ago.

Discharge seems to have gone, but the sensation is still uncomfortable.  Just worried what other symptopm will be coming back and how to alleviate these symptoms.

Does anyone know (or read about) the worst case prognosis?
Start your own thread please
Hi BBGAN,  how's your new combination of treatment?
Hi Vance2335,  This chain has been around since 2013, but the information is still very relevant.

Do you know if there is any expert that can address this Mycoplasma Genitalium?  I think a few people, including myself, are quite desperate and hope to gather more latest information.

Many thanks!!!
No the Dr's forum is closed but you can search it and find relevant answers from Dr's.
How long have you had MG?
I'm a 39 year old suffering female.
Was diagnosed by a Health Nurse.
This was back in March.
Long list of symptoms.. Constant, very watery vaginal discharge. Swollen labia. Clogged sex glands, which produces it's own horrific symptoms. Swollen groin lymph nodes. SEVERE pain during urination. Horrible joint pain, in shoulders, hips and knees; not sure if this is related though.
Recently started showing symptoms again.
You can buy antibiotics from over-seas pharmacies for a cost w/out needing prescription. Are they legit??
Can I just go to Planned Parenthood and get Moxifloxacin and Rifampicin?
Scared and confused..

Hi, Sorry you have MG. I too am a female with very similar symptoms to yours I got diagnosed 2 mths ago and have taken Azithromycin and a course of Moxi with symptoms returning 2 weeks later. I'm in Sydney Australia and not sure what to take next Drs don't seem to know
Forgot to mention, was prescribed doxy..
for the MG living with .

i tired antibiotics called diflucan 150 mg  4 pills every 5 days its was very good
during when i was take it .

but after finish course of cloithromcin and doxy and difflucan
i feel the Symptoms its come back .
although i test Negative for MG after finish the course .
i make another test again after about 20 days i am waiting for the result.

my balance is gone i can not see good or focused in any thing any more i feel weak .
good thing i test negative for all other STD after 4.5 Month .

i will try to see another doctor .
I am 29 and have been suffering Prostatitis for over 3 years. I was diagnosed that there are super high Red Blood Cells and Bacteria of my Prostate secretion in Singapore. The doctor said that the specific pathogen can't be tested in Singapore but 99% is MG. So I was prescribed Moxifloxain. There is a great improvement in the first week. But I have the terrible feeling to my public area on the ninth day. I have no idea does it work or not right now.
how are you now?
Please help.. 23 year old male
I was diagnosed with MG a month and a half ago. I was given 14 day prescription of doxy which did not work at all. I then asked for Moxifloxacin and was given a 12 day prescription. I finished taking Moxifloxacin 10 days ago. My discharge went away, but I feel that I need to pee a lot through out the day. When I pee it almost feels normal. It burns slightly though.
Last night I had sex with a condom and after I was done I went to pee and it was horrible pain. I am worried that it wont go away. I don't know what to do please help.
i was taking black seed oil to help cure my lupus within a week of taking i became quite ill. swollen glands, fever, nausea etc... and had some tests taken and tested positive  for mycoplasma genitalium. As black seed oil or any alternative can make any illness worse before making it better.

I didn't take any antibiotics instead got onto Olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, black seed oil, vitamin c, probiotics with multi vits. i first started taking olive leaf extract with no reaction, as soon as i added oil of oregano i started to get headaches but started drinking more water and lessened the dose. I have now added vitamin c, probiotic with multi vits and black seed oil again.

I'm just curious as to is it normal to feel so ill and then feel better again? I haven't taken any medication apart from what's listed above.
Have you gotten rid of your mycoplasma. I have had it for two months and have tried doxy for 14 days, moxi for 10 days, and minocycline for 10 days. While I was taking Moxi the discharge completely went away, but now it is back. I do not know what to do please help.
Well i have only been taking these supplements for almost 2 weeks so i think it's too soon to say. Regarding discharge i only get that for a week after menstruation so i will have wait to see if that has changed. Although the swollen nodes and painful urination has actually stopped and i only have a dull pain which i can barely feel.

olive leaf extract i take has 40% oleuropein and are 350mg capsules. I take 2 capsules 3 times a day.

oil of oregano is very powerful and it does burn if not diluted it's kind of burning sensation clove oil gives. i melt a teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil and put it under the tongue with 4 drops of oil of oregano. i use 100% pure  wild oregano oil with upto 86% carvacrol. This can cause headaches for the first few days of use so you can use less drops or only take twice a day if you  happen to get headaches, also drink plenty of water or a glass straight after.

Black seed oil i take 1 tablespoon 3 times a day.

With antibiotics whether it's prescribed or natural form, it's important to take probiotics atleast every 2-3 hours after taking an antibiotic. A good probiotic must contain live cultures and have enteric coating, i have found a 30 billion cfu. Also. taking vitamin c 1000mg 3 times a day can help with die off symptoms by removing toxins but vitamin c also kills good bacteria so probiotics are important and plenty water to fush out toxins and infection.

for external itchiness soreness pain, hydrogen peroxide 3% solution undiluted helped me more than anything else. ACV and tea tree oil made it worse!

for swollen nodes i used 50/50 extra virgin olive oil with black seed oil and very gently massaged onto the area before bed.

For painful urination drinking plenty of water is a must. Water stored in a 100% pure copper jug for atleast 8 hours in very beneficial for health and kills bacteria or parasites.

Take supplements one at a time if you have no adverse effects after few days introduce next supplement and so on.

oil of oregano and olive leaf extract are thought to be the most powerful herbs. Black seeds are a cure for every disease.

When using supplements for diseases consistency is the key. It can take up to 3 months of high doses before you can lower the dose of the supplements and then continue take recommended daily allowace to stop it coming back.

Diet is also a big factor. Any sugar or sugar forming foods, breads, rice, pasta, etc... cholestrol foods, l-argirnine amino acid will feed the mycoplasma so need to be avoided which i know is difficult.

I will keep updating if see anymore improvements.

God has not sent a disease without sending a cure for it. It's all about finding it and being consistent.

I'm joining in here to share my story. I'm an expat living in S. Korea and, like many others here, I found out that I had MG a few months ago after a spout of unsuccessful antibiotic treatments to what was thought to have been a mere bacterial infection. I've been on Azithromycin, and a host of other, weaker antibiotics that are usually sufficient for minor bacterial infections.

I have not tried Moxifloxacin or Moxifloxacin combined with Rifampicin, although I'm looking into that. Or Sitafloxacin, since it doesn't really seem to be available cheap online and hospitals don't seem to carry it (at least in S Korea).

I'm currently beginning an oriental medicine treatment that is supposed to boost my immune system and reduce inflammation, though admittedly I'm skeptical that this 3 week treatment will eradicate the MG.

I've tried a lot of other home remedies too, namely master tonic ( apple cider vinegar, garlic, hot peppers, onions, turmeric, ginger) , honey garlic and cinnamon mixtures, loads of cranberry juice. None of these have been effective.

It's important to stay positive though and know that there are people out there who've beaten this. It's a true challenge sent from the universe. I think it's up to us a lot though because doctors seem to know very little about this infection. As you know, symptoms can disappear and reappear weeks after, fooling doctors and medical tests.

We gotta stick together on this, because no one can care for your well being like your own self. I'm interested in getting more in-depth with this community that has seemed to form on this forum.

I have the same issue.
I live in South Korea and I am Positive for MG,
I tried even MOXI for 14 days.. Will go to test tomorrow again as i finished MOXI 2 days ago.
But i still have frequent urination as well as a bit burning sensation.

May I know which oriental medicine are u going to start?
Hello brisbane_guy:
It is great that you got cured.
What was the daily dosage of Rifampicin that you took?
i had tested positive for m.genitalium . took doxy, levo, and zithro. now only left moxifloxacin hasnt try, seems to be last resort. this bacteria already bothered me for 6 months, really want to get rid of it..cry......
did you manage to get sorted out ?
I have discomfort in my penis and rectum for 15months its like a constant burning discomfort... i have been to about 10 different gum clinics and been tested for all sti's which keep coming back negative... i have been put on loads of different antibiotics such as doxycycline  azithromycin metronidazole ofloxacin ciprofloxacin.... when this problem first started i was given azithromycin and metronidazole my symptoms went away for about a month or so then re appeared went back got tested again and results still negative...  i have a camera put inside my penis still nothing.... i have recently been tested for mycoplsma and now waiting for results.... but some people are saying the amount of antibiotics i have taken already it would of cleared it up can someone answer this ?  the urologist are saying possible prostatitis too ?  
some else started this question and if you have a question you can hit the green tab on the top right "Post a question"
scroll back up to the top and its a green tab on the right side says post a question