STDs Community
Living with Mycoplasma Genitalium??

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Living with Mycoplasma Genitalium??

I'm a straight 34 year old guy, after ending a relationship with cheating GF,  got diagnosed with Mycoplasma Genitalium all this being around 2 1/2 - 3 yrs ago.., went to the Dr., after a series of consecutive STD tests that all showed negative results.. Based on my recurring symptoms (clear discharge, burning, testicle inflammation and swelling) the 4th Urologist that I saw finally recommended me to take the test which revealed the mystery behind it all...

As you probably all know, MG is a fastidious pathogen that lacks a cell wall, making it impossible to diagnose and to treat, most urologists treat it as a NGU, they recommend introductory AB's (like 1 week of doxy and cipro) that are meaningless to cure from Mycoplasma G. infection. My problem is that all of this happened while being called exaggerated on my symptoms by Drs., meanwhile time was passing by, and the infection progressed further down my prostate, even I recall one Dr. telling me it was psychological!!.

When I got the results, I ended having as treatment a course of Azithromycin 1gm dose, then 500mg for 7 days, waited couple of weeks to see results, but symptoms persisted, in fact they came back more severe and to my luck, new symptoms appeared: back pain, swollen joints, cold sores on tongue and skin redness (which I never had before), This was a immune reaction and according to the Infectious Disease specialist teamed with my Urologist back then, they assured me that with a course of 14 days of Moxifloxacin and Flomax (prostate pill) I was going to be ok//, nothing got better, at that time I was a nerve wreck, lost my job, with a bunch of other good things in my life..  

Basically, what I'm trying to find out is if there's really a cure for strong strains of MG, that are shown to be resistant to even Moxifloxacin, if so, what is the protocol>??, or is it recommended to take a new / longer course of Moxi (been several months since my last intake) I'm I find hard to believe that urologists don't answer simple questions like this nowadays---  

Its really frustrating to me that this disease is now labeled "treatable" not "curable" according to the recent 2 urologist specialists I have seen, This cannot be??, I've been robbed of my privileges of enjoying unprotected sex with my partner and eventually kids, because of this??

I want to know if there are other people on the same boat as I am?
To please come forward and share your experiences-
and also want to know, If you have found any alternatives to the treatment that worked?
It seems like you are under the care of some Dr's who at least have gotten to your issue. We can't give out medication info, suggest you keep working with the Dr's that you have found who diagnosed you.
I will also have someone else take a look at this.
Hi Vance, I appreciate your good intentions in helping me out/

Thanks-
Best advice I can give is pay and post in the STD Expert forum and Dr.HHH or Dr.Hook can give you better info.
i am sorry to here this. I feel you pain as I'm going though something similar. was the mycoplasma test that you took specific to MG or was it an overall test for mycoplasmas? what lab was it done at. Its hard to find labs in US that do MG testing. Also what method, urine, swab or seamon did they test.

thanks
robertr
Hendergab,

Any update on your search for help?
Hi Hendergab,
I am a straight male having your age and the exact same problem. I live in Denmark. and I contracted MG because of a girl who i thought she was clean and never mentioned anything about it.

I got the infection about 2 years ago and from all the resources i read online, the more you go untreated the more difficult it is to get treated later. MG is a very resilient bacteria, that can adapt quickly to antibiotics.

With that said, i remember my first visit to the clinic the doctor prescribed doxycycline which is completely useless and have a high failure rate against MG (more than 80% failure rate).

then i was given azithromycin for multiple treatments with a couple months span between each and nothing seemed to work. in fact just like what you said, after the end of each treatment cycle, the MG comes back raging with all sorts of symptoms.

I went back to the hospital and they finally said they want to run some tests on the strain of MG i am carrying in order to determine its resistance to antibiotics.

It wasn't until today (actually today) when i got the answer back from the hospital that the MG i am carrying has grown resistant to azithromycin and that I should start taking Moxifloxacin.

I haven't started the course yet -- as i just got this info but i am **** scared the new drug wont work and that my life will continue to be the way it is.

I know how depressing this can be because i am facing it every single day.

I will keep you posted!

Regards,
Im in the exact same boat as you.  Not much as help me.  Are your test now negative for myco?
Are you cured after taking moxifloxacin treatment ???
Were there any side-effects that you noticed while and after taking this treatment ?

Sitafloxacin is another antibiotic that is used mostly in japan to treat Mycoplasma Genetilium.
Solithromycin - a new antibiotic is on its way to be developed and will be in the market soon. It has been shown to be very effective against mycoplasma genetalium.
For details : see these two links:-
http://www.cempra.com/common/pdf/posters/2013%20ECCMID%20_%20M%20genitalia_Jensen.pdf.

http://www.cempra.com/products/Solithromycin-cem-101/.

You can discuss about this product with your doctor.
Heu just wondering how yo went with any further treatment. I was diagnosed with M.Genitalium approx a month ago. I contracted it from unproected sex about 3 months earlier. I completed a 5 day course of azithromycin which seemed to suppress the symptoms. After about two weeks i revisited my doctor and was prescribed a 10 day course of avelox of moxi... Its a pretty nasty drug from all reports but I'm about one week in and symptoms seem to have disappeared and I've so far managed to avoid any side effects.

Having said that I'm suffering from some nasty muscle aches. I have since the very early days of contraction and they seem to have hung around. I also get sporadic burning/itching sensations throughout my body. Is anybody else suffering from this?

I have been tested and cleared of chlymidia, gonnorhea (Gonorrhea), hep b & c, hiv, herpes. I'm just really curious if nobody else is offering the body aches at all. Mostly in my biceps and forearms on both sides.
Hi there Rob, yeah, the mycoplasma test that I took back then it was a straight PCR test for mycoplasma genitalium.

I believe most of the labs in the US have this test in their catalogs..

Wish you the best, now ive been taking natural treatments to cure my condition..
HI whoever533

Sorry for the late reply as I´ve been seeking other alternatives for curing this situation, hope that you´re ok and cured of this tiresome pathogen,

Im here to hellp-
Hey Shaky , its been a while since I took the test, it tested positive for mycoplasma genitalium,

How are you lately?
Hey roofbeers,

Yeah, had those symptoms as well, doctors say that it is because the immune system is trying to attack the pathogen, but because mycoplasma lacks a cell wall, the immune system gets confused and attacks good cells at the same time, making this an auto immune situation for some people like us..

I can give some good advise in natural treatments that have lowered my symptoms to almost to 0 or 1 in pain and inflammation.
Hey there,
I have also been having the same symptoms with no lasting help from moxifloxacin or others such as zithro or doxy. What are the alternative treatments that you have been using? I really need to know. Please help!