STDs Expert Forum
Lymph node questions

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Lymph node questions

I have been had a couple of "low" risk activies (oral-men) over the past year.  At the six month mark past the last possible exposure.  I have experienced swollen lymph nodes but in a strange way.  For example my right groin node is swollen resmbles the size of a peanut, my right armpit hurts (cant feel the node) and the nodes under and behind my ear, base of my skull are swollen.  They are noticably swollen.  I have been checking them frequently.  They are Lumps noticeable out side the skin.  Can you please answer these questions for me.  Thanks.

1.  With so many months past ARS timing, have you seen any patients experience swollen nodes at the 4-6 month mark after infection.
2. Can poking one node make all of the nodes swell?
3. After ARS, how long is it before other symptoms typically present themselves?
4.  Is it bizarre that the swelling seems to be on one side of my areas but in multiple locations?  (i.e right groin, left knee etc.)
5.  Is it bizarre for early HIV lymph node swelling to last for 2 months or more?

Thanks for expert opinion.  Cheers
A "peanut sized" lump in the groin isn't necessarily abnormal; many people have lymph nodes they can feel in their groins.  Armpit pain could have a hundred causes other than lymph node inflammation.  A person's own assessment that his/her own lymph nodes are abnormal is very unreliable; only a trained health care provider can determine it with accuracy.  Lumps in or under the skin in the location often are things other than lymph nodes.

1) No, I have not see any cases of ARS with such delayed onset of symptoms.

2) No.  Poking a particular area might cause inflammatory lumps (either nodes or other tissues), but will not cause enlargement of lymph nodes elsewhere.

3) Later symptoms of overt AIDS can appear as early as a few months, but usually not for 5-10 or longer.

4) I'm not sure you have enlarged lymph nodes.  Until you know that is what is going on, I have no comment.

5) "Bizarre"?  No.  Atypical?  Yes.

So why are you asking all these questions instead of just going out and having an HIV test?  That's the way to know whether or not you are infected, not by trying to sort out vague symptoms by online opinion, including mine.  Go get tested.  But please do not post "yes, but" or other questions here; I will not respond.

HHH, MD

That's 5-10 years in answer no. 3.

HHH, MD
Yes But...just kidding.  I think you misunderstood my first question.  After a potential ARS event, have you seen lymph nodes swell and thrush come on in 4 or 6 months after ars?  Thanks

I am testing today..should have answers in 2 wks.  Thanks
Symptomer- I am in the same boat with you. Low risk exposure and have had some lymph nodes swell up. Most noticebly in neck under ear, in armpit and in groin. My nodes seem to go up and down throughout the day. I also have had a weird rash on my arms, hands, and chest that comes and goes. I have not been tested, because I am scared and others have said the my exposure is a non-risk.