STDs Expert Forum
MC

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

MC

Dear Drs,

I am a 31 yo M. 10 months ago, I started dating a girl (my current GF). 3 months later, after we made sure of our feelings, we decided to go get both tested for STDs (Including HIV) and both results came negative (neither one of us slept with anyone during the 1st 3 months of dating) and we started having unprotected sex considering that we  are exclusive with each other. 10 weeks after we started having unprotected intercourse, I had a pimple on my groin while she did not have anything on her vulva. I went to the dermatologist and he told me its mulloscum (confirmed with biopsy). I had 2 more treatment sessions as I had 2 more similar lesions later (on 2 different time points). Now it is gone. This thing created a lot of mistrust in the relationship because my GF keeps wondering where did I(me) get it from and even myself is wondering the same. She has never had it. Considering that we are monogamous and our tests last year were negative, do I need to repeat STD testing?  

What are the possible sources of Mulloscum in this case?

Thanks,
OZ
Tags: mulloscum
Welcome to the Forum.  You ask a good question. Molluscum contagiosum is caused by a virus which is spread from person to person, most often through direct contact although in many cases it is not clear how transmission occurs.  It is not necessarily a sexually transmitted disease and is actually quite common in children in whom it is thought that contact occurring as they play together leads to transmission of the virus.  

In addition to it being common to not know how the infection arises, it is also unclear how long lesions take to occur.  Estimates (and that's all we have- estimates) are that it can take from a few weeks to months for lesions to appear after transmission.

The virus can be spread from person to person so getting your lesions treated is a good idea but that you have developed MC is by no means an indication that you have been unfaithful.  

The description of the virus and its management on Wikipedia is quite good – you might take a look at this as well, I think it will be assuring for you and your partner.  

I hope this comment is helpful.  EWH
So there is no need for us to go through STD testing again?
No, I see no need fo additonal STD testing.  EWH