STDs Expert Forum
Massage Parlor Workers or Bar Pickups

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Massage Parlor Workers or Bar Pickups

I have a general question.  What would be the highest to lowest risk for all STDs including HIV: massage parlor workers, bar pickups, or a CSW by appointment charging $100?  Thank you.
Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty much impossible question to answer accuratesly.  I presume you're asking about women in these categories, not men.  As we have said many times on this and the HIV prevention forum, in general I would expect the likelihood of HIV or other active (transmissible) STDs to be highest in a woman met in a bar who is willing to have sex with a stranger on short notice, and a lot lower in an upscale, expensive escort.  Howver, $100 is pretty cheap as escorts go -- so I don't know how to categorize such a woman.  I can't generalize about massage parlor workers.  In all these categories, the actual range of risk is very wide.  My advice is that for any and all such partners, condoms should be used for vaginal or anal sex.

Regards--  HHH, MD
So does this mean that the likelihood of HIV or other (transmissible) STDs is higher in a bar pickup than in the other two categories?  
It is always rare to catch HIV from any particular heterosexual exposure.  Almost all people with heterosexually transmitted HIV are the regular partners of infected persons, not one-off partners, no matter how high risk.

Having said that, in general I would view a bar pick-up and a street-walking commercial sex worker as highest risk and an upscale, expensive escort as usually lower risk.  As I said above, I cannot estimate the risk for a massage parlor worker, but I suppose in most places it would be somewhere between the other two.

The main thing is that you must use a condom if and when you have vaginal or anal sex with partners from any of these groups.
Sorry Doctor, I'm a little confused by your answer and I appreciate you taking the time to answer it.  I just wanted to know: bar pickups have a higher likelihood of having HIV or any other STD than a $100 CSW by appointment or a massage parlor CSW, right?
Maybe, yes.  But there are no data to be certain.  That's why I cannot give you a definite answer.  This is a silly discussion.  Just use a condom and stop worrying about these minor differences.

That will be all for this thread.  I won't have anything more to say.
Hi Dr.:

I'm trying to understand why it is that certain CSWs are considered safer than bar pickups.  Don't CSWs have more sexual partners?  Even though they might practice safer sex, my understanding is that skin-to-skin contact is enough, correct?  So when it comes to skin-to-skin contact, don't CSWs have more of a likelihood of having STDs on that skin?

Thank you.
Many CSWs are quite safe by virtue of how and where they recruit clients, condom use, regular testing, and so on.  Number of partners is not necessarily the main determinant of risk for HIV or other STDs.  OTOH, many (most?) people willing to have sex with someone they met the same night in a bar probably do the same thing lots of times and may be at very high risk.  Obviously there are lots of exceptions either way, however.

That will be all for this thread.