STDs Community
Mild Chronic Cervicitis

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Mild Chronic Cervicitis

I had a pap smear on Aug. 9 as part of my annual gynecological exam.  The doctor also took a swab for HPV DNA.  The results of the smear was HPV/Mild Dysplasia/CIN I.  I have been a wreck since receiving those results.  Apparently, the doctor said that the lab didn't even really do the HPV DNA test, because based on the results of the pap, it was just assumed that I have it.

I had vaginal sex for the first (and only) time in Nov. of 2006.  A condom was used.  I had unprotected oral sex with another man (twice) between Jan.-Feb. of 2007. After hearing the results of my pap, I asked the man I had vaginal sex with in Nov. about his history/possibility of diseases.  He told me that he was tested for everything in April of 2007 and that everything was negative, including HIV and herpes, except for chlamydia.  I don't have reason to believe that he'd lie about this, but I don't know what test was done for herpes either.  He was 99% sure he got chlamydia after being with me, and I have since been tested for that, as well as gonorrhea, and have neither one.

I tried to have vaginal sex with my boyfriend for the first time (my second ever) on Aug 25 and I tore and bled.  There was a little cut there.  He was not able to get in.  No lubricant was used, and I was nervous.  On Sept. 11, I had a swollen gland on the left side of my throat and a sore throat.  Then on the morning of Sept. 12, I noticed some purple "spots" on my right hip that did not itch and were not raised.  My boyfriend and I tried having sex on Sept. 16 (no cut there) and after he tried getting in again, there was a cut in the same place.  Again we were unsuccessful.

I went to the doctor on Sept. 20 for the colposcopy following my abnormal pap.  The doctor felt the cuts were due to tension and not being well-lubricated when trying to have sex.  The result of the colposcopy came back "mild chronic cervicitis."  I had a pap smear repeated, as well as the HPV DNA test.  I am still waiting for results from those.  In the meantime, my doctor prescribed me doxycycline.  I did test negative for the gonorrhea and chlamydia cultures taken on Sept. 20.  She said that herpes testing is not indicated at this time.  My doctor said that we will repeat the pap in 3 months.

My questions are:

1) Could herpes be the cause of my "mild chronic cervicitis?"  Is herpes likely to cause cervicitis that is chronic rather than acute?

2) If herpes could be the cause and I follow my doctor's plan, could this get worse and lead to PID?  Does herpes cause PID, or do only gonorrhea and chlamydia?

3) Will the pap smear that I'm waiting on show if I have herpes (I'm going in on Oct. 8)?  I was surprised that the pathology report from the colposcopy didn't show the cause of my inflammation.  Why is that?

4) I desperately want to bear children.  If my boyfriend, who I hope to marry someday, and I were both to have genital herpes, would the risk to future children be so great that we shouldn't conceive?  That is, if both parents rather than just the mother has herpes, is it worse for the baby?

Thank you so much!
Just to quickly answer your last question (since I'm running out), herpes has no effect on the ability to bear children.  25% of the population has HSV-2.  I don't believe herpes causes cervicitis nor lead to PID.  To get an accurate reading on whether you have herpes, the only test is a blood test to check for IgG antibodies.

Also, just as an FYI, no guy knows they have genital warts, unless that have the strain that causes actual warts on the penis.  There is no test for a guy to find out if he has genital warts.  So if your ex-boyfriend says "I was negative for all STDs," that does not include HPV.