STDs Expert Forum
Molluscum Contagiosum

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Molluscum Contagiosum

I went to the doctor about 6 months ago and was told I had molluscum contagiosum. When it first happened I had marks on the inside of my thighs and my stomach that almost looked like ring worm. My gential (genital) area was a big rash and I had these marks in my pubic hair(looked like pimples). Since I was diagnosed with MC everything has started to clear up except on my penis and at the base of my penis. I've lived with this condition for almost 8 months. They are small, skin color lesions, very small. They are just on my penis and at the base. I do not know what to do now. The doctor said it was MC and that there wasn't anything they could do. Will it clear up on its own? I need advice, I don't know what to do. Also, will oral sex spread the MC to the mouth or face? Is there a possibility that its not MC and could be something else?
I'm a little confused, because molluscum contagiosum and tinea (ringworm) look entirely different; it is hard to imagine a provider mixing them up.  On the other hand, any provider who says MC cannot be treated and advises just waiting for it to clear up on its own obviously is not very knowledgeable about it.  In any case, "small skin color lesions, very small" doesn't sound like either MC or tinea, especially if persisting more or less unchanged for 8 months.  It doesn't sound like any STD either, although I suppose there is a slight chance of genital warts.  You might be describing prominent sweat or sebaceous glands--i.e., entirely normal.

So you need to see another health care provider, perhaps a dermatologist.  If it turns out to be MC, there are several treatment options, including simply scraping off the lesions (not as painful as it sounds); freezing; imiquimod (Aldara); and others.

Good luck--  HHH, MD

On re-reading your question, I probably was too harsh on your provider, and s/he might have been right:  you might have had both problems, MC for the pimple-like lesions and tinea (ringworm, i.e. jock itch) for the rash.  But the persisting bumps of your penis don't sound like either one.  You can either go to a dermatologist or return to your own doc; your choice.

HHH, MD