STDs Community
My wife has trichomoniasis, but we are faithful?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

My wife and I have had a complicated marriage.  I met her whilst working in Siberia (I was helping my company set up a new plant, she was working for them) and since meeting her, forming a relationship and later marrying, I have not had any relations sexual or otherwise with anyone but her.  I am also 100% sure she has also not had sexual contact with anyone but me during our entire relationship.  The complication of our marriage stems from us both living in separate countries, she in Russia, me in England.  With the exception of her staying with me for the first five months of this year, we usually only get to see each other for a week or two, two or three times a year.  We have now been together for almost three years.

Last summer after visiting her, she was diagnosed with mycoplasma genitalium.  I had myself checked and was negative for any STI, but on further inspection we found that mycoplasma genitalium is not generally checked for in the UK, so I went to Addenbrookes clinic in Cambridge and spoke to a doctor who was on the UK test study for mycoplasma genitalium and, whilst he considers it to be present in almost all males regardless of being able to pass it to a female, I was tested directly for it and the test came back negative.  Looking further into it, I feel the infection was more likely the spermicidal contraceptive she chose to use (nonoxynol-9 being a known cause of this infection).  Regardless, I still took a cause of antibiotics to ensure I would not carry the infection.

Since then, we had just over five months of living together and had sex throughout the entire time with absolutely no infections or complications.

She went back to Russia in May and I visited July/August for three weeks.  One week after leaving, she had to go to her doctors again and has now been diagnosed with trichomoniasis.  Her doctors assure her it is and can only be contracted sexually and therefore came from me.  After being cleared of any STI's on two separate tests last year and having five months without causing infections, her obvious and logical conclusion is I have cheated on her between May and July. This is simply not the case.

I am completely sure she has not cheated on me, either, so my question is, can there be any other ways of contracting trichomoniasis - for her or for me to then pass to her?  I have only found out about this diagnosis an hour ago, so I have not been checked myself yet (will be calling to make an appointment when the clinic is open tomorrow morning).  Unfortunately, to further make my job of proving my faithfulness, she now has zero trust in UK doctors following the previous tests proving negative and a bad experience with and dentist who performed an emergency repair supposed to be no more than a temporary fix (she says in Russia she would have been given the correct permanent treatment even as a casual walk in appointment) .

Some facts that may contribute:
Both this time and last time she was treated for infection, her hot water supply was switched off, so neither of us were able to shower or bathe as we would usually.
Again, this time and last, we used public saunas and the towels provided.  Last time we has the place to ourselves, were naked the whole time and even had sex there.  This time, however, included a whole spa treatment with various types of saunas and massages and spent the time there in our swimming costumes, aside from when we were in a Turkish steam sauna where I preferred to sit naked on the sheet they provided.  We also used their towels to dry ourselves when changing back into our clothes and stayed in the spa centre's hotel for two nights, again using the towels provided in our room.
We had anal sex on occasion, but have never went from anal to vaginal during the intercourse.
Whilst we don't as a rule wash immediately before engaging in sex, with the exception of not having readily available hot water, I would say we were both clean, and often, although not always, oral sex would happen before vaginal, if that goes to making me any 'cleaner'?

Various sites cover trichomoniasis and indicate damp towels, toilet seats, wet clothes, etc., could all be a cause of infection, but none suggest how likely this could actually be?  I have also read trichomoniasis can be dormant in a female for years, but she had an STI check before she met me which was clear and again last year which only showed the mycoplasma, so can trichomoniasis be undetected in standard checks whilst lying dormant?  And if so, what can suddenly trigger it?  If I had it from a previous relationship, why was it not found in either of my STI checks??

I am desperate for answers because right now she will not even talk to me, convinced I have passed onto her a sexual transmitted disease I could only have recently caught myself by cheating on her.  I am besotted with my wife and I am falling apart at the realisation my marriage to her could be over because of this.

Please help...
Additionally, in the first week I was with her, she was still suffering from a bronchial infection she had for about two weeks already and was still recovering and coughing a little when I left.  I mention this now because I have just read that bronchitis is one of the symptoms that can be caused by trichomoniasis, so what are the chances she already had this lying dormant (and completely missed by STI checks) and the more regular symptoms of trichomoniasis became present after being irritated by intercourse?
Trich can be aquired by other non sexual means. Using a dirty towle, in a hot tub...things like that. I can't say who got it or where but I can say it does not mean someone went outside the marriage.
Thank you Vance2335.  Does anyone know if it is common to miss an infection during an SDT check?  Can something like this be lying dormant and undetected, or would it still be detected through a standard STD check when dormant?  Does anyone here know the effectiveness or accurateness of these checks i both England and Russia??
False negatives are rare rare.  The only time they would be missed is if window period for the STD has not been meet.
So, no matter where the test are carried out, last time we were checked neither of us had trichomoniasis is pretty much fact?
Update:
I visited the clinic for my checkup.  What I have learned has made me angry at the entire world.

Basically, in England apparently trichomoniasis is extremely rare these days as over the counter medication for thrush contains the medication needed to cure trichomoniasis.  To this end, trichomoniasis has all but died a death in terms of it's ability to spread and spread.  Even more so, it simply does not live long inside males, who, when infected, usually require no medication at all to get rid of it.  In terms of being sexually transmitted, it is actually more likely to be transmitted woman to woman than man to woman.

So any thoughts I had of harbouring trichomoniasis for over three years then suddenly infecting my wife with it was simply impossible.  If I've ever had it, my own body killed it within days.  My doctor says it is much more likely for a woman to catch trichomoniasis from a dirty towel than from sex.

Without knowing any of my wife's recent history, he said if she had been ill recently then her immune systems would be lower, which raises the chance of getting an infection.  If she was also taking any antibiotics as a result, this again raises the chances of getting an infection.  And as it happens, my wife was suffering from a bronchial infection, was extremely run down because of it, and was taking antibiotics.  But it doesn't end there, he went on to say if she happened to be using a contraceptive ring, one known side effect is the increased chance of getting an infection.  Add those three together, he said, and it'll be quite surprising not get something.  I never told him about the bronchial infection, the antibiotics or the contraceptive ring, these we simply facts for him to tell me.

My initial tests showed no infections of any kind.  However, when talking about trichomoniasis he told me they do not bother checking for it in males any more due to the fact they don't harbour it long enough for it to ever be a problem.  I insisted on being checked specifically, so yet another, and deeper, swab later, it's off being cultured to see what grows.  A few days to find out.

The drug to treat it, metronidazole, is used to cure this, bacterial vaginosis and also thrush.  He thinks she could have either one of these and her doctor simply said it's trichomoniasis without even giving a thought for the consequences of what saying that could have.  So I am angry at the whole world now because my wife has been convinced by her doctors that i have cheated on her and my marriage is over for something that I have not done, but it's my word and (untrusted by her) western medical knowledge against her opinion and (her trusted) Russian medical knowledge.

If anyone finds this thread because, like me, you have been searching for answers and find yourself in the same situation, please, please, please get your partner to read this and understand it is NOT a sexually transmitted disease, it is simply a transmitted disease.  Sex is one way, but is less likely than just getting it from a dirty towel due to the fact men just don't hold it in their systems long enough.
Thank you very much. I just looked into this because I had some syptoms (symptoms). Everywhere I looked it says std and I know I haven't slept around and my husband would kill me if I accused him of it. I was unfaithful 2 years ago while we were split for a summer and I did get an std and we were both treated for it. We got back together and I have been 100% faithful since and he says the same thing. I was gonna ask him about this but now ill approach it much differently. I was just in the hospital and was given a rediculous amount of antibiotics. Am I ok or do I need treated. I'm 33 weeks pregnant and have went into labor twice. I read that it could be transmitted to my baby so should I tell the Dr. I had pointed it out a few months ago and he said it was a yeast infection and to use topical cream and it always cleared it up. Since the antibiotic rounds at the hospital it has gone away. Is my husband still able to have it. We haven't had sex in a while so Idk. I'm so confused and I don't want him to think anything about me and I didn't want to think anything about him. So what should I do?
this is an old post. it's most helpful to just start your own post.

indeed if you have tested + for trich and weren't treated for it properly, you need to get properly treated for it. same as hubby needs treated too.

follow up with your obgyn for this.

grace
i am 100% sure i have trich, i have not cheated on my boyfriend and i am sure he has not cheated on me.is this possible? i dont want him to think i have cheated on him.
this is an old post. please start your own post. thanks!
Facts. My husband & I many years ago got this infection. Neither one of us are the type to cheat, yet we got this anyway. I have had 3 different Drs back then tell me that a woman can give this to herself without sexual contact.This happens from contact from her own anal bacteria with her vaginal area. Everyone has parasites and these parasites live in the colon. Men have this as well in the colon area but they cannot get this into their penis or urinary area without sexual contact for obvious reasons the way a woman can. If a man gets this, he got it from a woman. If a woman gets this it was either from her self or sexual contact with a man who has it. A woman can get this easily without sexual contact. 3 Dr's validated this to me.
What is trichomoniasis?
Trichomonas vaginitis also known as trichomoniasis, or simply as "trich," is an infection caused by a one-celled, flagellated parasite called trichomonas vaginalis. While this parasite can survive for a few hours on damp towels or clothes, it is most commonly transmitted through sexual contact. when trichomonas enters into the vagina, it causes an infection which produces a symptomatic and abnormal vaginal discharge. Trichomonas vaginalis lives in the vagina, the cervix as well as in the urethra and bladder. In men it can inhabit the urethra and bladder and possibly the prostate. Trichomonas can multiply when the vaginal, urethra or bladder conditions are favorable. An estimated 2.5 to 3 million americans are infected with trichomonas each year.

Is it normal to have vaginal discharge?
Yes! Most women have some vaginal discharge normally. This is one of the body's methods of cleansing the vagina and also of keeping the vaginal walls moist. A normal discharge has no bad odor and causes no irritation. Any time you feel there has been a change from what you consider normal for you. It's a good idea to have a medical examination.

What are the symptoms of trichomonas vaginitis?
Symptoms of trichomoniasis generally appear within 4-20 days after the individual has been infected by the trich parasite. In women, a trichomonas infection produces a thin, frothy, greenish to yellowish vaginal discharge which may have a bad or foul-smelling odor. This infection can irritate the vagina causing swelling, burning or itching of the vaginal opening and even the labia. Men infected with "trich" may have little or no symptoms at all. When they do have symptoms, they may be similar to the symptoms women experience, itching, irritation, watery greenish discharge occasionally with a small amount of blood.

Is trichomonas dangerous?
No. It can be annoying, frustrating, uncomfortable and even painful but it is not dangerous to your overall life and well-being. It does not injure the reproductive organs. Nor does it cause infertility or los of ability to become pregnant.

Besides the symptoms, is there any way to detect trichomoniasis?
In asymptomatic women, trichomonas infection can often be discovered at the time of a routine pelvic examination concurrent other vaginal infections. There are a number of simple tests which can identify trichomonas including looking at the vaginal discharge under the microscope, called a "wet mount." infections can also be detected when you have a pap test as a regular check for cancer of the cervix.

How do you get trichomoniasis?
Trichomoniasis is most often spread by sexual contract with an infected person. however, you can get it without having sexual intercourse. Babies can get trichomonas at birth if the mother has this infection. Also, since this parasite can survive for several hours where there is moisture, direct contact with a recently contaminated object, such as a towel, can lead to infection.

are there any special factors which may contribute to developing trichomoniasis?
Yes. When the general body resistance is decreased by poor health, you can become more susceptible to any infection, which would include trich. Other contributing factors could be:

diabetes
excess weight
birth control pill
recent childbirth
antibiotics taken for other infections
nylon underwear or pantyhose, if woven too tightly, may contribute to the problem. These fabrics tend to restrict air from circulating, and keep the outer surfaces of the vagina moist. Parasites such as trichomonas grow best in moist environments.

How is trichomonas treated?
Trichomoniasis is successfully treated in most cases using a medication called metranidazole or "flagyl." it is important to remember that while taking metranidazole you should not drink alcoholic beverages for three days before or after, and especially not while taking this medication. If you do during alcoholic beverages you may experience severe vomiting and abdominal pain. For more information regarding the side effects of using metranidazole please see our handout metranidazole (flagyl) facts and instructions. Metranidazole should not be used by women who are pregnant or breast-feeding.

How can I decrease my risk or prevent getting trichomonas?
You can reduce your risk of developing trichomonas by using the following suggestions, however, please be aware they are not 100% guaranteed:

avoid sexual relations with numerous partners. Next to abstinence, long-term sexual relations with only one person who also has sex only with you, is the best preventive method.
Use basic methods of contraception such as a condom (rubber) and diaphragm together with a contraceptive foam containing nonoxynol-9.
Sexual practices other than vaginal intercourse may also reduce the risk of contracting trichomonas.
Avoid sexual contact with any person known to have trichomonas until their course of treatment is complete and they have received medical clearance.
just this past weekend on my bf went in to check on a possible broken finger. he was asked to do a urinalysis that came back positive for trich. now of course i was the first person he called and this started a storm of he say she say and loads of mistrust. my solution was to get myself check and i did that same day. my result~negative. he was dumbfounded and i felt like i had caught him cheating. because he was adamant that he was faithful he went to the hospital the very next morning. his results~negative for trich. however he did test positive for a bacterial infection that he was told under certain tests could give a false positive for trich. hope this helps.
Thank you for the information regarding this Trichomoniasis....I am beyond words right now and so irrate...at my age (45) with 12 month old child, I had been experiencing alot of symptoms.  So I went and got checked and it came back positive for trich.  Dumbfounded since it is an STI, I thought "Cheating" Now, the father of our son..swears and denies that he has NEVER cheated!  So, NEVER having an STI BEFORE him and knowing the few men I've slept with...I was thinking SURE its GOTTA be CHEATING! I am relieved in some ways it maybe from recent childbith, or possibly even a towel?  Wow!!  I'm not sure how to digest all of this yet.  I still am so ANGRY! Why didn't the health dept include ALL these other facts that YOU have? This recent diagnosis of Trichomoniasis can very well be the END of my relationship with this man of 4 yrs!  My only thought...our son...he didn't deserve this..

.Question: Exactly HOW long can it "live"/"Survive" on a towel? Or "other" object????

Question 2: Can you get Trichomoniasis from public toilet seats?

Thanks..and any information you may add would be GREAT!  

are you 100% sure of the info you posted here? I am going through the same thing right now and completely being that my boyfriend cheated but he swears he didnt. We do regularly, have anal sex so if what you posted is true, he might now be lieing to me and it came from my own body. Is there anywhere else I can get info on this?? I really need answers, I'm going crazy!!!
MLB22,
I was diagnosed with "Trig" after I had my Mirena IUD removed last week. When my Dr.'s office called to tell me about this infection and to schedule an appointment, I was dumbfounded, upset, extremely confused! I have been with my husband going on 11 years and I have never cheated on him, nor have I ever had any reason to suspect him of cheating. Of course when I got on the phone, I was in tears, and had to ask him. I know my husband, when he said he didn't cheat, I know he didn't cheat!
I just came home from my appointment, and remembered seeing your post from when I was doing some research last week. I spoke with my Dr. at great length about how I could have possibly contracted what I had in my mind, was specifically an STD. She explained to me that although "Trig" is most commonly spread through intercourse, woman can contract "Trig" in ways other than intercourse! She also explained to me that "It's not always clear what causes the infection", but just because I have "Trig" doesn't mean I contracted this sexually. I could have gotten it from a series of antibiotics I was recently on for pneumonia and bronchitis..woman with IUD's are more susceptible.. there are MANY different ways woman can become infected ( I didn't even have any side effects at all )To err on the side of caution my husband was tested and came back negative. We both opted to take the  Flagyl prescription even though he tested negative and will take that tonight. Unless you have a reason to believe your spouse was cheating, this isn't something to destroy your marriage over... I hope this helps!
"Trich" not "Trig"..
Hi, I read all that info on Trich, and yeah I had it once, never ever in my life have i ever had this before, boyfriend has it, didnt know he could harbor this, and, well, bam, I got it, I told him about, it, I got my pills, have been done for like 2 months, all is well,  he has yet to get to the doctor, he needs the time, he quite busy but i am reminding him!! Oh yes I am!
We've constantly had protected sex, and the passion got to us last week, on friday the 9th of november, and we got damn close without the condom, just a quick fun tease, and well, honestly, he got 4 strokes in. Yes, Literally. Sorry for being blunt but i needed to tell that part of the story. Seriously, 4 strokes! And, well today, the 12th, I did it again. Yes, just a tiny bit, 4 strokes.
Is this russian roulette with Trich? How much of a chance could I have put myself back into with getting it again.?
I almost know what you or anyone else is going to say, but I was missing the freedom, I dont think I will be doing that again, its already eating at me, fun for that split moment, but too much worrying afterwards.
I will be reminding him to make some time for the doctor, and I know men can harbor, and he is, but it doesnt seem to worry him as much as it does me, as long as we are protected, he sure doesnt worry as much.
If it does really happen again, and it was august when i was taking pills, would it just be the same pill all over again? And is the body resistant now, or does this not count? Any true honest answers will be greatly appreciated tonight :) I will be asking doctor again if i get suspicious of any symptoms, even if there are no symptoms, i will ask for another test, and remember I did this little forbidden fruit thing just 4 days ago and today, there shouldnt be symptoms.. yet.
Since you are pregnant ask the doctor to do a vaginal swab.
you owe it to your baby.You can not find out ,with just an urine or blood test .
If you have trich
Even though this thread is going on two years running, I found it very informative. In my past, i used to get frequent yeast infections, then didn't have one for many, many years. Then about three years ago, I got the symptoms of a yeast infection, right out of the blue. Or thought it was one. I tried to self treat a few times, yet it kept coming back. I finally went to the GYN and she did a pap and swab. When she came back into the room she asked me if I had been with anybody other than my husband. I told her "NO", which I haven't. As odd as this sounds, my husband and I hadn't even had sex for almost 5 years at that point as he was going through a testosterone low in his early 50's and had no desire for sex. I too was in my early 50's then and we have been together for 30 years. Needless to say, the diagnosis was "trich", yet she insisted it could only be transmitted via sex. Well, even IF my hubby had cheated on me, I hadn't had sex with him NOR ANYONE else for 5 years. So I'm assuming this can live in the body a gooooodddd looonnnggg time, OR it very well can be contracted other than through sexual contact. I did not appreciate her accusatory tone and I believe that doctor's should believe their patients. I know darn good and well how long I have gone without sex, oral or otherwise and this apparently CAN and IS transmittable in other ways. Of this I am 100% sure!
I have all of the symptoms for this and was getting quite scared by all the things I was reading on the Internet.  Me and my boyfriend have been faithful so I am very relieved that it can be caused by other things rather than sex. I noticed in a previous comment that the antibiotic given to get rid of this problem is the same as over the counter thrush treatments. Is this still the case? I would go to the gp but if I can get this sorted with a simple thrush treatment it would be a lot easier! I've been worried about this for bloody weeks reading all the Internet suggestions and this is the first forum I've found which makes more sense!
Hi, I am the one who started this thread and due to the fact my wife truly believed I had cheated on her, we are now divorced.  Losing her was crucifying to me and took me until mid-last year before I was able to move on.  I am now involved with another woman (who luckily lives in the same country this time round) and I have to say I was quite petrified of having sex with her at first in case I ended up giving her an infection, following my last 'triumph'.

I stumbled upon this thread because I was searching through my email account for something sent about the same time and saw an email from MedHelp, and I am glad I have read this now there are many replies.  After explaining why my marriage went wrong to my new partner, I became interested again in searching for matches to my ex-wife's symptoms as described to me and found the most likely explanation of her infection was never an STI, but in fact our own inability to thoroughly wash on the last week I ever saw her (I think I mentioned somewhere above, her hot water supply was off for maintenance, so we were boiling kettles and washing out of bowls).  We engaged in anal sex that week, as well as normal sex.  The type of UTI she ended up with matches perfectly the symptoms expected if bad bacteria from the anus enters the urinary tract, and now I read with interest from Reniloiuse this: "a woman can give this [trichomonas] to herself without sexual contact.This happens from contact from her own anal bacteria with her vaginal area" which confirms to me my wife and I caused it ourselves by not being careful enough during anal sex, or cleaning thoroughly enough afterwards.  This is why women are reminded to wipe front to back and never the other way.

So perhaps now, I can rest assured her doctors may well have diagnosed a trichomonas infection correctly, but it was their insistence it could only possibly be sexually transmitted from someone already infected that ruined destroyed a marriage by proving infidelity where no infidelity was present

I hope this information helps save someones relationship somewhere.

Kind regards,
Chris.
I have been with my boyfriend 4 months now and was just given the diagnosis that I have trichomoniasis but I have only been with my boyfriend & him only with me but my doctor tryd too make me believe that it was from one of us messing around this has me really looking bad in my boyfriends eyes and I've had treatment but I'm really scared 2 even sleep with with him because I'm scared of STD' & STI's and anything else out their mainly because I was diagnosised with HPV Wen I was pregnant with my son and was treated but wen I go 2 too the doctor and fill out the medical history part they say oh u didn't have HPV u just had genital Watts so it has me really questioning the doctor witch doesn't help with my fears of doctors already... and after reading this my paranoia is thru the roof I'm wash everything thing!!!!!!
I absolutely believe that trich can come from "improper" cleaning, etc. after anal sex.

I had been sleeping with the same man for several months. We were not using condoms. Fine for months. After we began engaging in anal sex, a few weeks later, I get a nasty discharge and odor. We were cleaning up but maybe not thoroughly enough. And honestly, our anal... habits were kind of "messy".

I suspected trich after doing a lot of research. Almost every document I read said it was only sexually transmitted. But I remembered reading somewhere years ago (on a website dedicated to sex workers) that anal sex could cause trich in the vagina if bacteria got into the vagina.

Today I am doing a LOT more research and I came across this post. Thank God because I got tested and yes it is trich. But I was told (like most people here) by the nurse at the health depart. that it is ONLY sexually transmitted so he must have cheated, he needs to be treated, etc.

I was also told I have b.v. and was tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea. I was forced to take the Zpack for chlamydia right then and there although the test results take about a week to come back.

Why not make me take the pills for the trich, since it was already a positive diagnosis? Why give me antibiotics for something I might NOT have, knowing that the same night I was to take the anitbiotics for something I DO have?

Isn't this one of the reasons why diseases are becoming resistant to antibiotics, because of giving them unnecessarily???

Shame, shame, shame on the medical community for these types of behaviors.
It's me. So I did/do NOT have chlamydia or gonorrhea.

AND I was able to find a website that says trich is NOT always sexually transmitted: http://www.mabelwadsworth.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30.

So no, it's not always from cheating!
I met my husband when I was in college and he is the only man I've ever had sex with.  We've been monogamous for almost 14 years and I just learned that I have trichomoniasis.  I am 100% certain that neither of us are cheating.  We have never had anal sex and I am really good about proper hygiene in that area.  The month that my symptoms started, I was using a public swimming pool weekly, using a steam room at the gym several times a week, and showering at the gym.  My doctor doesn't think I contracted trich from the gym/pool, but it's either that or my husband gave it to me when we first met and it's been "dormant" for almost 14 years.  I must say that it's incredibly frustrating that most information says this is only transmitted through sexual contact.      
After developing symptoms for about a month, I finally decided to see a doctor and she told me I have trich and that it is an sti. I felt very teary coz even though my boyfriend and I have only been together for a year, him cheating was the only explanation and thought that came to my mind because the doctor emphasised that it was sexually transmitted. I feel muuuch calmer after reading some of these comments, sounds silly but I'm hoping my boyfriend's not infected and that I got this infection due to contraceptive pills and anything else that came from my body because I have never cheated on him
First of all - THANK YOU  Mr storm warning. Though I am sorry for the heartache this has caused you, I am greatful you started this post.
I'll be 69 yrs old next week, I've not been sexually active for 30 yrs, I don't self gratify, I am a Reg. Nurse who also try to keep up holistically.

Therefore, I was questioning the diagnosis which was first found incidentally by lab in a clean catch urine. Then by GYN Dr. who said although it is classified as a STD it is not always the cause but it can be spread that way.
I believe I added to the yeast by over eating sweets due to some difficulty in my digestion . (yes I know better, I should have practiced what I preach ;-) I'm still searching)
More doctors should believe their patients and do the research.I'll do my part.
   Blessings and all the best to you, your wife and family.
Oh I forgot to mention I have been wearing panty liners which defeats the purpose of panties with a cotton crotch.

Summary for me which may help others;
Back to Basics
    - microorganism grow in a warm moist environment nourished by simple sugars.
(cutting back on panty liners and anything that breaks down to simple sugars/glucose.)
I was wondering how i was constantly seeming to get it cause I'm 20 but I haven't been having sex and was wondering if there is any way to get rid of trich without the pills cause i dont think the pills are working
Thank you. I am in your shoes now. I hope that your marriage survived? I can tell you I was fearing my husband had cheated too. But it is just unlikely to be the case. As rare as they claim it is I think I just got it some other way or that we have had it for years. I have chosen to trust him. If we had tested positive for chlamydia that would be different. We had that at the beginning of our relatiobship so reasonably one of us already had it. We tested again well after treatment and that was negative. I have continuously come out negative for other std's but suddenly positive for trich and am not sure it has ever been checked before. I had an abrasion near my vagina last summer. Our diet had gone south and there were a number of times we ran out of toilet paper and I used a towel that was damp. I also believe I had the abrasion because I was not drying that area very well. Then when my son who was not given booster shots (he has autism) came home with pertussis, we all took antibiotics. He is now vaccinated for everything.

My husband is really sincere and since I cannot even confirm that he has it then I might as well I assume I got it from poor self care. I have been busy with the kids and needed to step up on my hygiene practices. We have been using condoms anyway because we have yet to get fixed and do not want more children.
I contracted trich on holiday in the Dominican Republic and it ruined my holiday. You absolutely can contract this condition from infected towels because I did. The symptoms became evident about the fifth day and drove me crazy. I did not see a doctor as I was too embarrassed. The human body has it's own way of expelling foreign bodies and infections and I overcome this infection naturally, I won't go in to detail but it was really horrible, and I could not understand where this infection had come from as I have not had sex for many many years by choice.
On returning home I have looked in to my symptoms and am confident I contracted this condition from a damp dirty towel with a host!
My husband and I have been in a 100% committed relationship for 18 years. I am 52 and just diagnosed with this during my annual routine exam having no signs of symptoms. So, too, the both of us are equally perplexed and angry by the facts that are presented about this disease. All the fact sheets that I have read state nothing about the statistics about this disease possibly being transmitted non-sexually.

And seeing multiple comments about partners questioning the truths with each other is disheartening. Believe your partner if they say that they have been faithful!! And call the CDC to tell them their facts are wrong and this disease needs to be reexamined!!

My husband and  i have had a faithful relationship. But once in a blue moon he would end up with this chlamydia infections std, since women have no symptoms of it but is very painful in males, he is the one to go to the dr. The dr tells him theres no other way to have been transmitted the disease other than having sex, but I do not get treated. Since i dont get treated, he should be getting reinfected right? He doesn't.my hubby is been suffering from testicular torsion and since had infections about every 4-5 years. Se we are convinced is due to his problem.
Thanks Mimi you saved my marriage, my husband has prove sex isn't the only way to contract "trich".