STDs Community
NGU Treatment Not Working! Could it be something else?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

I have frequent urination, sometimes a tingling feeling in my penis, clear/white small amount of discharge (not dripping), and slight burning when urinating.

#1 I went to the clinic and tested positive for NGU, and negative for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea. They gave me 1gram of Zithromax in a powder drink for treatment. My symptoms persisted so I went back and was tested again. They told me my white blood cell's showed up as "occasional" meaning that my treatment should of been fine and they could not help me if I still had the same symptoms.

#2 I went to my family doctor and explained the situation. They gave me a 500mg pill of Cipro, and 100mg Doxy pills for 10 days. I took the medications and symptoms are still present.

#3 I went back to the doctor for a 3rd time, they checked my prostate and it's fine, and they took a urine sample and sent it out to the lab. Urine tested negative for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea but it showed that I did have a bacterial infection. They said I had a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and prescribed me 7 days of 100mg tabs of Nitrofur.

So as of now I've taken Zithromax (1 gram), Cipro (500mg pill), Doxy (100mg 2 pills a day for 10 days) and Nitrofur (100mg tablet, 2 pills a day for 7 days).

I still have my symptoms so the doctor prescribed me another 10 days of Doxy.... what could be going on here? Could I have Herpes? I haven't had any outbreaks or open sores or anything, but none of the recommended medications are curing NGU, or the UTI?
this isn't likely to be genital herpes causing your symptoms.

you've had bacteria present in your urine several times now. continue to follow up every few weeks as needed to get to the bottom of all of this.

you've covered the std bases, no need for further std testing at this point.

grace
Thank you for the response.

I've been tested for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Trich, Yeast, NGU, and a blood test for syphillis (syphilis). I'm just praying to god I don't have herpes! I'm just curious if the reason all these medications haven't worked for me yet is because I may have something else? I'm beginning to get frustrated, and very scared about it. Not to mention without having insurance my financial burden is setting in deep. The doctor told me that if the second time around with Doxy doesn't work then they are gonna have to send me to a urologist.

The first time I was tested was with a swab, then the second test was also a swab done at the clinic. The second test showed my white blood cell count was "occasional" which to them seems to be normal although I still have symptoms. So when I went back to the family doctor I ended up getting the Cipro and Doxy which didn't work. Then they took a urine sample and sent it out which tested positive for bacteria and they stated it was a Urinary Tract Infection. Is a Urinary Tract Infection and NGU the same thing?

they are a little different but not much.

Sometimes getting the bacteria all cleared is difficult.

grace
What ended up fixing your symptoms?