NGU and chlamydia clarification
Hey all, I've been suffering from NGU and have been googling lots which has brought me to ask this question: a lot of sites state that if urethritis isn't caused by gonorrhea then it is considered NGU and then some state that a cause of this is C.Trichamonis (I'm guessing chlamydia).

I find this confusing as my tests were negative for both gonorrhea and chlamydia yet some sites state that chlamydia is a leading cause of NGU. are tests giving false negatives or simply not detecting chlamydia?

Thanks for any clarification as I thought NGU is diagnosed if gonorrhea and chlamydia are ruled out  
I see it this way, if you have tested negative for gonorrhea and chlamydia then you don't have them and you have a different bacterial infection. Trying to wrap your head around NGU and chlamydia is too tough. Trust me I have tried and read the same thing you did about NGU and chlamydia.
Great thanks for your response. I'm assuming the urine tests done at labs for these bacterias is quite sensitive and are generally 100% or close to that in accuracy?

I'm guessing my ngu must be due to a mycoplasma or ureaplasma infection of some kind. Do you know off hand if the color of the discharge matters or is indicative of the type of infection? Again, thanks for your time!
Correct, they look for different bacteria and white blood cells in some cases to help find other things other then a STD.

Not sure of color really matters but I think anything other then green (gonorrhea) is of the NGU/chlamydia tint.
Thanks. Mines clear... Accompanied with some stinging after ejaculation etc but it's been many months since my diagnoses and I no longer have those symptoms although my urethra still looks irritated :(

I've been through this one before;

To get diganosed with NGU you have to get the test; you know they smear the tip of you penis to on a slide and look for bacteria under a microscope, and the U in NGU part comes when they find WBCs there, that's a sign of inflamation.  

So here's the confusing part.  You get tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia via the urine test, though some doctors can with  90- 95% confidence know if you have chlamydia just by the slide test in  a matter of minutes.  But to be safe they always do the Urine test.
If you test positive for gonorrhea AND you had WBCs in your urethra then you have GU
if negative gonorrhea they'll update the diangosis with NGU.

If positive for chlamydia then, yes its NGU still (clamydia is nongonococcal)
if negative for chlamydia the,  yes its NGU still (some other bacteria is there, that is not gonorrhea)
I had a smear taken but only to determine that I had a high PH which indicated infection. I asked if they could then tell me what it was and they said they couldn't. An this was by a doctor at the CDC STD clinic!

WTF

Well yeah they probably said they couldn't   --because they didn't know for sure.

Its terrible practise if they would have told you its chlamydia, and then the urine test shows negative, so when they said, they couldn't was because really they didn't know for sure.   if they would have seen chlamydia they would have probably said, we THINK its chamydia, but since they didn't, they didn't know, and had to test.  
So I'm screwed
When it comes to matters of non-specific NGU, it can be quite discouraging.  

I think since I've been on a big round of antibiotics and feel better but not 100% (could just be residual damage done by the bacteria even though it may be dead) I will go to the clinic again, get my ph checked to see if there are signs of infection then because i've done 2 weeks doxy, 2gs of azithro, 10 days of cipro (started feeling better after and durin this treatment but may be coincidental that my body is just getting used to the infection) I will assume it's a mycoplasma or ureaplasma infection and pay the several hundreds of dollars for the PCR test to determine what it is and treat it accordingly.

Is it possible and does this occur frequently where the urine sample is determined to be negative for chlamydia but expressed prostate secretions ata urologists determine that there is a chlamydial infection?
--i dont know.    

Please ask a doctor this question and kindly share the answer with me.

vance what do you think?
Will do. I asked at a clinic and they said it's highly sensitive...

I have an appointment with a great family doctor next week so I will let you know what transpires. Most likely I'll ask or either a lengthy prescription or a PCR test for mycoplasma/ureaplasma. One way or another I'll most likely have an appointment made with a urologist also.

Thanks for all the info...

Would love to help you out with this above question but this is over my head.