STDs Community
NSU/Urethritis, does it take long for symptoms to disappear

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

okay will try and keep this short :)

7 months ago i had unprotected sex, 3 and a half months later i got frequent urination and a stinging feeling in my penis

went to GP...got checked for UTIs and nothing, blood test came back slightly abnormal kidneys and i had high level of creatinine which i think is due to my on/off high protein diet over the past few years, anyway i feel they completely sent me down the wrong path of seeing a kidney specialist, had the ultrasound which was fine and basically told me to cut down on protein and water intake (load of rubbish in my eyes this was lol)

anyway so on november 19th tested positive for chlamydia, had 1g of azithro 4 tablets taken at once, next few hours and couple of days i felt good like i was getting back to normal, then after a few days the frequent urination started to kick in again but it wasnt as strong as before and i thought well whats going on.. i was told it could take a couple of weeks to settle down,i waited nothing happened.

went to GUM clinic on 3rd december,checkup for hiv/syph n all that what have ya,NEGATIVE.
he noticed discharge and then took some swabs and informed me there were traces of NSU/URETHRITIS and gave me 5 days worth of Metronidazole and 1g of zithro and 250mg zithro each day for 4 days.. felt a bit relief from this but stil had the frequent urination coming on a bit but not as strong as before and not as often as before.

clinic told me to go back in 4 weeks if i still had symptoms, anyway i was still getting symptoms enough to make me feel uncomfortable, went back and did a urine sample, they checked urine there and then,nothing found, sent it off to test for UTIs and chlamydia and both came back  NEGATIVE and he examined me and took swabs to check for urethritis and said it was  CLEAR, was then told he feels this is something now that will go in its own time and urethritis can take time to go....

i went to my gp againa nd was prescribed with 5 days worth of metronidazole again, in my 3rd day now and just really feels the same to be honest.

so questions :)

will this go on its own now?
is there anything else in my body that is stopping this from flushing out my system?
is it possible some bacteria is there?
do i need different antibiotics to help this go?

many thanks in advance for any answers :)
Tags: NSU, symptom, long, urethritis, disappear, does it
1. It should, but can't say for certain
2. Probably not
3. Yes
4. Don't know what it is so couldn't say.
I would suggest seeing a uriologist at this point.
hi

thanks for the answers :)

it just feels like its gone about 70% but still something in there :(
Well the additional medication could be working or maybe it is just "fake" pain. The mind has the ability to mainfest pain or anything of that nature in our bodies when we believe something.

If things presist then see a uriologist.
hi again,

update

i have been told to go back to my kidney specialist for follow up appointment now cos my creatinine level was up at 126 i think.... if he signs it off as not a kidney problem now i will be referred to urology.

is it possible this is just a bladder issue now...any ideas?
if your kidneys aren't working properly, that can cause pain with urination.  at this point just follow up with the nephrologist and go from there.  

best of luck!
hi Grace

many thanks for your response :)

i dont get any pain with the urination, my symptom now is how quickly i feel the urine building up / being created in me after ive visited the toilet, when i come back from the toilet its like total relief like nothing is there but then it creeps back in, its a very strange problem now.

just wondering because of the infections ive had could they have caused the same symptoms to be happening after they have gone?
hi Grace

i was just wondering in regards to my description of my problem if i should have any specific questions ready for the kidney specialist?  as i dont want to be fobbed off

i think my slightly abnormal kidneys on my blood test are purely down to having the infections.

thanks

This is a STD specific forum, we really can't go into other areas like kidney's due to our limited knowledge
hi again guys

i have been to see my specialist and he is now testing my urine for urea bacteria? given that ive had urethritis is it possible i am still getting the symptoms?

when he got the 2 urine bottles one definitly had urea on it and he said he needed another for NSU
Maybe, but I think you can probably rule out STD's at this point.
hi vance, thanks for the response :)

he said it was possible i could have a UTI..

its interesting he is checking for this urea and whatever else it is because urethritis is a cause of that (even though ive been retested at the clinic and my infections are confirmed as gone)

i dont even know how im going to get the results though as he didnt say, do they just send them back to your local doctor?
Call the Dr who saw you and see.
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers