STDs Expert Forum
Need Answers

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Need Answers

I recently had STD screening for my own peace of mind, what I got was far from peace of mind...
I tested positve for HSV 1- 6.38 (I knew I would because I had an ocular infection with HSV as a child... and I don't know if its relevant but I also had Mono as a kid and pityriasis rosea) My HSV 2 score was 2.29. I totally freaked out because I have no (and to my knowledge have never had any) genital lesions..I've been really proactive, I called my primary care doc and asked if we could do a western blot and I have also made an appointment with an OBGYN. I am really upset and scared.
Welcome to the Forum. Your experience is precisely the reason that we do not recommend routine screening for HSV.  False positive test results for HSV-2 are relatively common, particularly among persons who already have HSV-1 as you do.  The  steps that you have taken are the correct ones to sort this out.  If your WB results are either negative or indeterminant, you can assume that you do not have HSV-2 (because of the antibody cross reactivity issue many persons with false positve tests due to HSV-1 have ineterminant WB results- in the absence of a history of lesions, there is typically no need to test further in this situation).  Once you have the results of your WB, I will be happy to discuss them further if there are lingering questions.  In the meantime, please do not let this result concern you.  EWH
Thank you so much for your feedback, I will let you know how my follow up goes and for now I will lay down the all worry this has caused. Not that I am not still concerned, because I am, but not scared to death as you put it in perspective for me.
Glad I can help.  I'm confient you'll be fine.  EWH
Dr Hook,

I received the results of my western blot 1.07 equivocal. So where does that put me?
Given your situation, this is indicative that you do not have herpes.  I have pasted what I wrote in your earlier response above- "If your WB results are either negative or indeterminant, you can assume that you do not have HSV-2 (because of the antibody cross reactivity issue many persons with false positve tests due to HSV-1 have ineterminant WB results- in the absence of a history of lesions, there is typically no need to test further in this situation)."

My question for you however is are you sure that you had a Western Blot perfromed at the University of Washington?  Typically they do not report out numerical values.  You might wish to verify with your doctor/laboratory EWH
I did request the western blot but will verify with my physicians office that is what they actually got.

Thank you so much for your help, your voice of calm and wisdom has kept me sane.
Dr. Hook

I appreciate your indulgence as my saga continues. I called my PCP today to verify that the western blot was done and the nurse told me they did the test that he ordered and reassured me that it was the western blot. (she also told me I tested positive for HSV 2) I do not believe they did a western blot because she was explaining the IgG and didn't even mention that my result was equivocal. She scheduled me an appointment to come in and discuss my results with him on Feb. 13.

My first  HSV 1 result was 6.38, HSV 2 result was 2.29, my second result for HSV 2 (and I am assuming they did the Herpeselect again) was 1.07 the tests were performed less than a week apart.Why such a disparity in the result?  It may help you to know that I have not had sexual intercourse in 9 years so there is no chance of a recent infection. I don't want to wait another 3 weeks to get some clear answer on this it is stressing me out too bad..so my question is this:

Would it be appropriate at this point for me to schedule an appointment with an ID doctor who is at least knowledgeable and would likely be more willing to retest using the  HSV western blot.

Thank you in advance
I agree from what you say that you probably did not have a Western blot as you'd requested.  As you already know, I am most doubtful that you have HSV-2.  If you insist in trying to "get some clear answer", you need a Wesern blot or, alternatively, testing with a point of care test such as the Biokit.  EWH
Dr Hook,

Just following up with you so you will know how the story ends...or cliff hangs

I had a visit with the OBGYN today and shared my testing result with her and  had an exam. She says she found no lesions and no symptoms of genital herpes and declined to test me further saying I may never get the definitive answer that I am looking for (she had never heard of the HSV western blot). She said my testing means i may have been exposed to HSV 2 and told me to quit worrying about it.

I think that I can be satisfied that I am ok.

I just wanted to say thanks to you for your advice and help.