STDs Expert Forum
Need for Concern?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Need for Concern?

I'm in a long term relationship, but 3 days ago I made an enormous mistake, and saw a csw.  During our "session" she performed oral on me, we had intercourse - very briefly - during which I climaxed.  All of which was with a condom.  She put the condom on me before anything occurred and helped me remove it when we were done. (i have no idea what kind...does that matter?)  After a short rest, she reapplied a condom, performed oral on me again until she removed the condom and manually brought me to climax.

I'm fairly certain that at no time did her mouth touch my bare penis (although she did lick my scrotum).  Additionally, the condom was on properly - covering roughly 75% of the shaft of my penis and never slipped or broke during intercourse.  While i did have a small cut on my shaft i'm sure it was covered by the condom.

I've never had any kind of std, and am sure i did not have any going into this encounter.  I actually asked the csw, and she told me that she was "always safe".

Sorry to sound totally paranoid but what, if anything, should i be concerned about at this time?  what are your recommendations?  Should I refrain from any sexual contact with my partner?  While i'm fairly certain i'm over-reacting, I would really appreciate your thoughts on this!  Thanks in advance
Tags: concern, STDs
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

The bottom line is that you are not a significant risk of any STD from the exposure you have described.  Within the context of your decision to have commercial sex, you went about it with maximum safety -- and condoms work!  Furhter, most sex workers who proclaim consistent safety with clients probably are telling the truth.

In any case, no STDs can be transmitted through intact latex.  Condoms usually cover only ~75% of the penile shaft; protection for STDs is complete as long as the head and urethral opening are covered.  Oral is very low risk even without a condom, and hand-genital contact is entirely risk free.  There are probably still small risks for herpes or for HPV from contact of the penile shaft above the condom, but both are very low, and if you caught herpes, you probably would develop symptoms to alert you.

So my advice is to chalk this up to a learning experience.  Don't confuse anxiety over a sexual choice you regret with STD risk; they aren't the same.  If I were in your circumstance, I would not get tested for anything and I would continune unprotected sex with my wife without fear of infecting her with any STD from this event.

I hope this has helped.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thanks Doctor,
That's very helpful. One follow up, if symptoms were to develop as you mentioned, WHERE would that be?  In the actual location of contact or randomly?
Almost all initial STD symptoms are at the site of contact -- discharge from the penis, penile sores, etc.
So in this case it would be the base if the penis vs tip based in the exposure described?
Yes.
It's been 10 days since the incident described above. I've gotten to know every bump,crease, and crevice of my penis better than I'd ever hoped. I assume that because I've got absolutely no symptoms I'm beyond concern and should just move on with my life?  I know how I sound, would just really appreciate some reassurance.  Thanks again. This forum is incredibly helpful!
This information doesn't change my opinion or advice.  Consider yourself reassured once again.  And for goodness' sake, stop examining yourself!  You'll know if anything shows up, without having to be so visually intimate with your penis!

That will wind up this thread.  Do your best to move on without worry.