STDs Expert Forum
Need help identifying

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Need help identifying

First a bit of background.  I am 22 years old, and have had two sexual partners.  The first, was shortly before I turned 20.  We used a condom, had sex around 3-4 times within a period of one week.  The second was around January 2007 until May 2007.  We had sex often, always without a condom (I regret that now).

Around July to August 2007, I had noticed one or two pimple-like growths in my pubic area.  They had occured about halfway between the base of my penis and my belly button.  I thought it could be acne (I have acne on my face, neck, arms, shoulders), especially after researching that it was possible.  None of these pimple-like things appeared on my penis.  To this date, they are still there.

Just recently, I shaved/trimmed close my pubic hair, and realized I had two wart-like growths.  Neither were actually on my penis, they were just in the pubic area.  Now, I must mention that I have had a problem with common warts in the past.  I have had them off/on on my hands for the past 15 years.

My question, is there a way to identify these, without any formal tests (Confidentiality is hard right now).  If I DO have an STD, is there a way to have sex with minimal risk?  If so, how?

The pimple-like lesions you describe are probably a well described case of folliculitis, a well described, non-STD skin infection that is caused by clogged pores.

As for the other lesions, it is tough to make a diagnosis over the internet. You need to see and experienced health care provider.  Your local health department likely has a STD Clinic.  Confidentiality in such clinics is a central part of what they do.  

As far as future sex, condoms are the best protection. Using them will minimize any risk you might have.

hope this helps.  EWH
I'm in a tough situation right now, and full confidentiality is NOT available.  I have heard through word of mouth about other people's STD's.  I have heard that the doctor said, and I quote, "The cervix was extremely discolored" when talking about someone else.

Since the wart-like lesions are not actually on my penis, and some contact between the area may occur during sex, will a condom actually help?  Will a simple cloth barrier help?  (I could wear my boxers, which will cover the affected area, and have my penis thru the 'easy access' hole in the boxers, with a condom)

Thank you for any help
I find it hard to believe you cannot somehow, somewhere find a place to be examined.  Getting tested is critical. What if these are simple moles and not warts?  then your worries are for naught.

As for risk to your partners, the risk of transmission of whatever you might have, based on their location, is very low.  Having sex with your underwear on is not very romantic.  You can take them off.  EWH
I can find somewhere to get examined, just not confidentially.  Not only that, but blood tests will take longer to get back because of my current location.

To clarify, one of the wart-like lesions is about a 45 degree angle left from the top center of the base of my penis, about 1/4 inch away from the base of my penis.  The other is a 45 degree angle right, about three inches away from the base of the penis.  Just want to confirm that these locations are low risk for transmission.

I will explain this to my partner, and if she wants to have sex, then I will be cautious.  But confidentiality is not an option until later this year.