STDs Expert Forum
Need information on yeast infection vs. STD

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

OK - here goes a familiar line.  The last week of May I had two sessions with escorts.  Both were protected intercoarse and some breif unprotected oral.  

I am of coarse married and decided it was a one time thing and reconcilled with myself and God and decided to move on and forget it.  I have had no symptoms of anything.

So now here I am 7 weeks later and my wife is saying she thinks she may have a yeast infection.  She said there is a bit of itching and noticed a small amount of discharge.  

Now I am freaking out.  Could I have gotten an STD from my dumb actions and passed them on to her even though I had no symptoms for all these weeks?  I guess I am worried that it isn't yeast at all, but chlmydia of something.  All I have read says my actions were very safe, but now that this hit me I realize my life would be over if I gave her something.  She says she might get some over the counter yeast infection medicne.  But she has never had a yeast infection before that she noticed.  She did have one a couple years ago that she didn't know of, it came up during her routine anula exam.

Wow..I guess I didn't put this behind me. I hope this is a coincidence.  I just want to forget about the last week of May.
Virtually every woman gets a yeast infection at one time or another, and from your description, her symptoms seem typical.   Your wife needs to be examined by a health professional; if yeast is confirmed, you don't need to do anything more.  If not, then you'll need to consider other options--depending on what her health care providers find.

Good luck-- HHH, MD

Hi - until the doctor replys you might be comforted to know that without condom failure the chance of you getting gonn or chlamydia would be probably the same as me getting struck by lightning on a sunny day whilst going to cash my winning powerball ticket.( the doc will correct if i am wrong), there also is not much chance of you contracting it by oral sex. the chances of her being infected are pretty low and to have the infection orally is even lower. your wife probably does have a yeast infection but i know how powerful anxiety is so have you thought of getting yourself tested and then you can definately put this behind you and forget it and move on to enjoy yor life. i hope everything works out for you - which i am sure it will.
One thing to add.  Now that I think back a few weeks, my wife and I also had a single small cancre soar inside the lower lip about 4 weeks ago.  Kind of a normal thing, but again, the timing drives me nuts.. I am truely dumb. I am starting to obsess about this.
Am I correct in that my activity was very low risk for anything I could pass on after 2 months and no symptoms myself?
Yes.