STDs Expert Forum
Need to be concerned about Chlamydia?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Need to be concerned about Chlamydia?

In a committed relationship. Approximately two months ago had unprotected sex with new partner. Have experienced no typical symptoms such as discharge or burning during urination (have had it in the past, both times I experienced those symptoms). About a month ago I purchased new bar soap (typically I use body wash). When I shower and the soap touches the tip of my penis, it feels irritated. Otherwise I feel fine and this only seems to have become an issue with new soap...not prior. Do I need to be concerned or get tested? The girl indicated she was healthy and had been tested.

Thank you
Welcome to our Forum. any time one has a new partner there is always some risk of acquiring an STD and chlamydial infections are among the most challenging since they are asymptomatic more than half the time they occur, even in men.  External penile irritation does not suggest any particular STD and from your post could well be related to irritation from your soap or chemicals in it.  If your partner has been tested and is negative, you should not be at risk.

I would add, as a general recommendation, you qualify for periodic STD "screening (testing in the absence of symptoms) because you have had multiple partners over a period of less than a year.  As a matter of personal protection, we recommend annual testing for anyone who has had two or more sex partners in the past year (we consider this to be health maintenance- we also recommend you get your blood pressure and cholesterol checked regularly).  this is simply a health maintenance issue and not a backhanded way of suggesting you are otherwise at risk. EWH
Just to clarify, it's similar to the sensation one feels when they get soap inside their urethra. I feel it almost every time the 'suds' get on my urethral area. Again even this didn't occur until over a month after the exposure.

Also, it wasn't my partner that was tested, but the girl I had sex with seven weeks ago. It was a one night stand. She told me that she had been tested fairly recently and was safe.
Understood on both counts.  My answer stands. EWH
so I switched to a body wash and the burning has greatly diminished although I felt it a little this morning. also,  this morning after urinating I felt a minor ache in my penis.  I have been self examining by pulling the opening of my penis several times a day since I initially posted my concern. it does look a little red inside.  still no discharge and no pain / burning during urination. I'm getting tested tomorrow but I just want to ask: are my symptoms worth all the anxiety I am going through?
Still no change in my answer.  This is unlikely to be an STD. EWH