STDs Community
Needle stick protocol

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Needle stick protocol

Hi, I posted a similar question many months ago and I thought I bookmarked it, but I guess I didn't. :(

I'm wondering what the protocol is when a medical/health care professional experiences a needle stick.

Is the blood collected from the needle and tested, and what are they testing for besides HIV? Anything else?

How do they deal with the "window" period with the blood that is tested? Do they come back to it in 2 or 3 months and retest it?

Is the person who experienced the needle stick placed on prophylactic AZT or other HIV/antiviral? For how long would the person take the medication? What other medications if any might the person be placed on?

Any other comments? I understand needle sticks are low on the list of infection routes.

Thanks for your help!

:o)

A lot of health care setting are different, you would have to check with yours to see what is done if you had and incident. But I think HIV and Hep would be the major risks because other STD's are not transfered from blood.
For further answers on HIV and Hep it's best to visit those communities because they will have the best answers for you.