STDs Expert Forum
Needles at the hospital for blood draw

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Needles at the hospital for blood draw

I go to get my blood drawn every week at the hospital.  I heard drug addicts can transmit STDs to each other when sharing needles. So I am afraid the person who draws my blood will re use a needle on me from a different patient to give me an STD, when I get my blood drawn at the hospital.  I know they claim to not do this, but that does not gurantee they wont.  Even doctors sometimes kill their patients, anyone can be dangerous.  When I go there I am so scared.  When I go there it sometimes frigthens me.  Is there anything I can do to keep my self safer?  Am I in danger?
Welcome back to our Forum.  I will try to provide a brief answer to your questions/concerns.

You are correct that needle sharing can transmit certain STDs, including HIV, however the fact is that the likelihood of this occurring in any American hospital is incredibly low.  There are no recent reports of transmission of infection in the way you suggest.  The needles and materials used to draw blood are designed to only be used a single time (in fact it is hard to use them more than once) and hospital employees are trained extensively regarding precautions meant to reduce risk from needle sticks.  

My advice is to o your best not to worry about this.  Life is full of risks- you could be struck by a car or even struck by lightning tomorrow. Either of these is far more likely than for you to get a blood born ST in the process of having your blood drawn.

I hope my comments and assurances are helpful to you.  EWH
thank you for the help dr.
I recently thought of something else pertaining to this issue.  It has come to my attention that some of the people in my city want to ruin my life.  One of these people could be someone who draws my blood.  Does this have any effect on your answer?  If it does what is your new response?  Or is your answer the same?
My sense is that this consideration is a bit paranoid. Professionalism is expected and sought after amongst persons who work in medical settings.

No change in my opinion or advice. EWH