STDs Community
Neurosyphilis a posibility?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Neurosyphilis a posibility?

I have a question about latent stage or neurosyphilis. I know that I had syphilis at one point in my life. I was going through several problems, addiction among them, and never had it treated. I can't say exactly why I never had it treated, only that I had several problems at the time. I know that I had syphilis because 1) I heard from a woman that I had unprotected sex with that she had tested positive for syphilis 2) I knew others who had gotten it from her and 3) I showed symptoms of it soon after, the worst of which seemed to be incontinence. I'm not sure if there were many other symptoms because of the heroine addiction etc. The symptoms seemed to clear up on their own after a few weeks or so.
Now I'm wondering if I possibly have neurosyphilis. I have had extremely light sensitive eyes and extremely sound sensitive ears for well over a decade now. These are bad enough to give me migraines quite often (sometimes as frequent as once a week). After I had been clean for quite a few years I started showing these symptoms along with stiff neck and back. I have extreme sciatica along with degenerative disc disease. My muscles often ache and my hands and feet seem to get tingly quite often. I suffer from depression and anxiety.
I had a blood test at least 10 years ago for syphilis that was negative. I do not know which kind of test it was but I would assume whatever test was cheapest or the most common because this was a small town hospital that is known for lack of thoroughness. Several years after having this test I had to go to the hospital for a severe migraine. This migraine was worse then any other I had previously. They did a ct head scan which showed nothing. They also did a spinal tap which showed bacterial meningitis. They told me there was nothing further they could do other then pain relief and wait for the symptoms to clear. The massive migraine finally did clear about a week later but I still get migraines to this day. Also the ringing in my ears, sound sensitivity and light sensitivity all seem to get worse as time goes by. At this point the ringing in my ears is now constant. The tiredness, muscle aches and fatigue, nerve pain etc get worse as time goes on.
So my question is, even after a negative blood test for syphilis, could I possibly have neurosyphilis? I don't have the money or insurance to go to a neurologist to run a bunch of tests so I need to know if this could possibly be before I go through all this testing.
1) Doesn't matter if she did, you were at best 50-50% of getting syphilis. Probably even lower.

If your 10 year test was after 6 weeks or beyond with this woman then it would have been a conclusive test. If you want you would have to have a spinal tap to check for neurosyphilis. No one here would be able to tell you if you have it.
Not trying to be rude but I was looking for advice from people or doctors who have experience and/or training in this matter. I obviously am not looking for an online diagnosis but advice on whether or not the symptoms seem to fit or if the possibility is there that it might be neurosyphilis.
Dr's do not post here.

If you google symptoms you see some that may match and others that do not. But again as long as your test was 6 weeks after then it is conlcusive.