STDs Expert Forum
New oral hsv1 or hsv2 infection?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

New oral hsv1 or hsv2 infection?

Docs,

Thurs night was at a strip club for a bachelor party.  Bought a girl a drink. She was sitting on my lap and when I turned back around, she put the straw she had just sipped from in front of me. STUPIDLY I drank from it. She then drank after. I'm assuming by her carefree actions,  this wasn't her first time sharing straws (probably not even the first time that night). I'm 33/m/hsv1&2neg (tested early march). She didn't appear to have a sore, but that doesn't mean much.

24hrs later, my neckglands are swollen and throat is sore. Been this way for 2 days. No nasal drip or cough...just feels like glands are working overtime.

1. What are the realistic odds that I caught something from sharing a straw twice?
2. What are the odds I caught hsv1? Hsv2? Should I worry about any other stds?
3. Something is definitely wrong because my neck glands are extremely swollen. No fever but slight sore throat. Does this sound like precursor to hsv? Would the glands swell and throat hurt within 36hrs? Anything else this could be?
4. If so, what should I expect and when? I assume swollen glands always precede blisters. Do you always get blisters?
5. Should I see doc ahead of time and get famvir or acyc?
6. If i caught hsv without her showing symptoms, how contagious will I be to others?

Fyi, I'm also positive for Hpv orally and genitally, but oddly enough...not from Hpv 6, 11 or any high risk strains. So bad luck is common for me.

Thanks.
Welcome back to our Forum.  I'll address your specific questions below but my summary impression is that there is little risk to you that this is HSV.  that you acquired a sore throat but no oral lesions shortly after sharing straws is more compatible with having caught the sort of viral sore throat from her or through your activities of daily living than having gotten HSV.  HSV is not very efficiently transmitted. There are fewer data for oral infections than for genital but our estimates are that, in the absence of lesions, contact with an infected person leads to HSV transmission about once in every 10,000 exposures.  

Further, when persons acquire initial HSV and become symptomatic, this typically occurs at 4-14 days following exposure so your symptoms are a bit on the early side and again, when symptoms occur they are typically quickly followed by lesions.

Very low- see above.  For that matter, you do not even know she has HSV.  Even with HSV-1, almost half of the population does not have infection.

If you had acquired any form of HSV, which I doubt, it would be more likely to be HSV-1 than HSV-2- far, far more likely.  

No, 36 hours is too early for HSV to develop. This does not suggest HSV.

See above.  Not everyone who acquired HSV gets blisters but if you develop symptoms, and you have, blisters would be expected.  

No.  This would just obscure matters.

6. If i caught hsv without her showing symptoms, how contagious will I be to others? Persons who have HSV can spread it to others but as noted above, it is uncommon.

I hope you find my comments above helpful. This does not suggest HSV.  EWH

Doc,

Thanks for the prompt response. You mention 4 to 14 days as the time for blisters to appear. Considering I'm only 60 hours into this possible exposure, I'm guessing it's too early to tell, right? I'm just nervous the swollen glands for 48 hours is a sign for things to come. Your response gives me hope, I just want to make sure it's not false hope.

For clarification, I'm less concerned about the throat and more about the swollen glands (although throat is acting up a little more today). They are 80% of my concern if that gives you any indication. I read that swollen glands can proceed blisters by 4 to 5 days. It’s also an indication thst the virus is embedding itself in the jawline nerves. Non blister symptoms like sore throats, headaches, and enlarged lymph nodes precede blisters. Does this sound accurate? Maybe the better question is how far before do they proceed- hours or days?

Unfortunately, I think it's now just a waiting game, which is the worst part.

However with famvir or acyc,it should help minimize the initial outbreak right? No matter what,  I'm getting an hsv test in 3 to 4 months. So masking the blisters wouldn't be a bad thing if I was ok with living 3 months in uncertainty,  right? Also, I wouldn't take it until I thought the blisters were for sure coming. But would taking it now lower the acquired viral load?

Lastly because this was a Vegas stripper, should I get an oral gonorrhea or syphillis (syphilis) test? This is very extreme and highly doubtful, but thought I should at least ask the question.

Ok, no more from me for a while. Thanks.
I would not seek antiviral therapy.  It is most unlikey thatyou have gotten HSV and as I said, therapy can obscure the diagnosis if you had by preventing lesion development and slowing development of a positve blood test.

Swollen glands of the sort you describe are typical of plain old sore throats.  Don't panic.  

No, other STDs are not transmitted by kissing or sharing straws.  No need for gonorrhea or syphilis tests.  EWH