STDs Expert Forum
Non sexual trasmission of STDs

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Non sexual trasmission of STDs

(Sorry for language, I'm italian).
I'm aware that my question probably is silly, but....
At work loo in my clumsiness I've just splashed the first burst of urine on the plastic part of toilet seat, and with a great touch of luck, part of my urine is just "rebounded"  on my uncovered glans (glands) ( i'm circumcised)on the orifice (I call it meato in italian). Well, fearing that I was not the only clumsy in that toilet, aka other people have left urine splashes or droplets on that seat, how probable is that I acquire hpv, hsv, and so on from the...return fire of  mixed (mine and other's)urine ? I've read that rubbing the virus on the part is necessary for acquire an STD, but the  penis orifice  is not for its nature (mucose) more prone to acquire STDs than other parts of genitals, even without rubbing ?
Thanks, I hope You can give me a clear and optimistic response; I'm going mad for this episode.
Under the principle that no question is silly, yours isn't.  Lots of people have the impression that STDs might be acquired from contaminated toilet seats, urine exposure in public toilets, or any sort of nonsexual exposure.  But it never happens.  There is some risk of other, more easily transmitted infections (colds, influenza, and of course intestinal infections), but not STDs.  Use common sense hygiene, such as hand washing before and after using the toilet, and avoid contact with obviously contamined materials (urine, feces, etc)--and wash if you come in contact.  But don't worry about an STD, even if you forget those measures.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
A little precisation, I'm especially concerned by HPV and HSV. Thanks.
Sorry to repeat, but no way HPV and HSV in the described situation can be acquired  ?
Thanks.
PS: I find Your service truly important. I surf the net by  a lot of time and, I assure You, I've not found another resource (italian, american, ecc.) comparable in terms of scientific clearness and intellectual honesty. This is rare. Thanks to exist, truly.
There is no risk for HPV or HSV.  All claims about nonsexual transmission are intended to save face, for people who do not believe they are at risk for STD.

Think of what parts of the body come into contact with toilet seats; then think of the locations of genital warts and herpes.  We never see cases of warts or herpes in a ring around the buttocks and thighs.

Thanks for your kind comments about the forum.

HHH, MD