STDs Expert Forum
One night stand
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

One night stand

Hi Doctor,

Thanks for all the good work you do.  I am a straight 25 year old male and I am currently in a monogamous relationship with a 25 year old female (2 years).  On 7/28/06 I got very drunk and had a 1 night stand with a 37 year old single woman.  I believe that she is very promiscuous, but I had no way of contacting her to see if she
Related Discussions
239123_tn?1267651214
Your STD risk probably is low.  Other things being equal, women over age 30 have low STD rates, even after considering their sexual lifestyles.  The reasons are unclear, but chief among them (most likely) is rising immunity as a result of repeated past infection.  Whatever the exact explanation, the likelihood is far less that your partner had active chlamydia, gonorrhea, HPV, or HSV than had she been, say, 20-30 years old.  (Chlamydia in particular is rare over age 30.)  Therefore, while it is reasonable for you to be tested for common infections, I would not recommend treatment, just to await the lab results.  The only STDs that would show by lab tests 3 days after exposure are gonorrhea and chlamydia; there is no point yet in testing for anything else.  Syphilis, HIV, and HSV blood tests all require several weeks.  (But I don't really think you need those anyway.)  

And you are right that I don't think your risk of HIV is high enough to warrant testing, unless you have reason to believe your partner is an injection drug user or otherwise has specific HIV risks.  You are correct that your fever probably is a coincidence, not related to your sexual exposure.

Finally, I'm not sure whether your IUD question is related to your girlfriend or your casual partner.  But IUDs don't have much effect, if any, on risk of acquiring STDs.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker