STDs Expert Forum
Ongoing infection

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Ongoing infection

I know that I contracted crabs years ago. I did everything over the counter and it never seemed to go away.  It would become dormant, but then come back.  I have told this to several doctors and when they check me they don't find anything..but, they have found problems in my urnine, as well as white discharge. I have explained that it comes and goes and they seem to think I really don't know what I am talking about.  Is it possible for crabs to live inside the body?  One doctor, finally, in a clinic, used a magnifying glass during the exam and said yes, he did see crab lice,but they were not moving.  He gave me a topical cream perscription, but they still returned. I searched online and found that there is a pill that will kill lice.  Should I just go to a clinic and request this perscription? This is so frustrating and I feel as if this problem will never go away and am worried about my health.  Thank you for your response.
I doubt you have continuing infestation with crab lice ("crabs") all these years.  It is far more likely you have a condition called delusionary parasitosis, the conviction of infestation by insects or mites when nothing is physically wrong.  It is also called formication (not forNication!), from the Latin word for ants (formica).  Here are two websites with excellent information about it; the first is a brief summary, the second a more detailed description.  

http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/Health%20Hazards/Delusionary%20Parasitosis.htm
http://www.insects.org/ced2/insects_psych.htmld

Whatever penile discharge or urine abnormalities you may have are an entirely separate problem. Neither crabs nor delusional parasitosis can cause such problems.

If you are typical of people with this syndrome, you will reject this idea.  One of the chief features of DP is that patients cannot be convinced the bugs aren't real.  But please trust me on this.  See a good dermatologist.  (For reasons you can understand, dermatologists have the greatest experience with such patients, aside from mental health professionals.)  He or she can both undertake a definitive physical examination to prove or disprove whether or not you have crab lice; prescribe the medication you seek, if it turns out I'm wrong and you have crabs after all; and if you do not, professionally advise you about possible mental heatlh care.

I make these suggestions out of compassion, not criticism.

Best wishes--  HHH, MDS
1 Comment
A related discussion, Crabs and intestinal pain was started.