STDs Expert Forum
Oral Exposure to STI

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Oral Exposure to STI

Dr

Hopefully you can answer my query.

I had unprotected oral and vaginal sex outside of my steady relationship,

3 1/2 days after exposure I went for a test (both swab and urine) and as a safety measure was prescribed antibiotics (for potential Chlamydia) which I took all at once - four pills together.

I had protected sex and unprotected oral sex with my girlfriend 5 1/2 days after the test and antibiotics.

I have subsequently received the all clear from the tests however have some doubts which I wish to address

My questions are as follows:

1 - Was it too early for the test to provide an accurate reading?
2 - If the test was inaccurate would the antibiotics have worked by the time I had the exposure with my girlfriend?
3 - As the "risky" exposure was oral only is there a real risk anyway?
4 - If my girlfriend could contract anything orally would this be confined to the throat or could it cause symptoms / complications e.g infertility elsewhere in the body?

Hopefully you can put my mind at rest

I'm confused by your apparent belief that your risk was only from oral sex. You say you had unprotected oral and vaginal.  Maybe you meant to say the vaginal exposure was protected?  Oral brings little or no risk for chlamydia.

Most important, question 3:  No, there was little or no risk.  Chlamydia is rare in people's thoats and oral sex is not known to be a risk--or if so, too low to measure.  Unlike gonorrhea, chlamydia is transmitted almost exclusively by vaginal or anal sex. There is a small risk to the oral partner, but transmission from mouth to genitals is not proved to occur and probalby is very rare.  1) No, your test was not too early.  The antibiotic was azithromycin (Zithromax); it would have suppressed your infection within 24 hours of taking it, if you in fact had chlamydia, and 2) therefore you could not have infected your girlfriend. 4) Your girlfriend is not at risk for anything by orla exposure.  And infertility and other genital complications require genital infection; chlamydia doesn't travel through the body from one spot to another.

Bottom line:  You have no worries about chlamydia (or gonorrhea or syphilis) from the encounter you describe, and your regular partner is not at risk for those STDs.

HHH, MD
Thanks for the comprehensive response.

By "risky exposure" I meant the subsequent exposure to my girlfriend after the test and antibiotics - sorry for the confusion here.

Just one point though - the Dr who prescribed the antibiotics in the first instance said no sex for 7 days - is this allowing for margin of error / a safety net as you say the infection (if any) is repressed with 24 hrs.

Thanks for the excellent service
Dr. H

I promise you I am not stalking you....   but let me just say....  I love you man.

Your answers bring releif to so man people.  You see, I am in a situation, were I honestly can not ask anyone these types of questions...  langauge, and transprotation barriers etc.  I am extremely isolated....  

I don't even have a way to pay you in order to ask you a question.  Life... it sure can throw some massive curve balls.

Like I said....  Thank you so much.
Thank you very much.  But 2 such comments on 2 different threads is enough.  Thanks again.
A related discussion, can chlamydia be passed to another just by kissing? was started.