STDs Expert Forum
Oral STD Exposure Concerns & Validation of Test

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hello Doctors,

I had unprotected oral and protected (condom) vaginal sex with an escort on 9/7 and again with a different escort on 10/16. I had a full STD panel including NAAT testing accomplished 11/16 with all results negative except for HSV1 which I understand most people have. I've had zero symptoms other than very slight urethritis which has now cleared up. Zero treatment, antibiotics, etc. of any kind since the exposures.

I understand that my primary risk for this type of exposure is gonorrhea and HSV2. My wife of 10 years has been having issues with her new IUD and I'm concerned that I might have given her something.

I've read on this forum that gonorrhea can clear itself in men as well as chlamydia.

1.) Is it true that the male body can eliminate gonorrhea and or chlamydia on its own without antibiotics?

2.) Is there any chance I gave my wife a STD?

3.) If I contracted gonorrhea during my 9/7 exposure could my body have cleared the infection by 11/16 thus the negative result or is that too small of a window for it not to reflect on a NAAT test?

4.) Is there any chance I could have contracted an STD and not know it?
Welcome to the Forum.  I'll try to help. As you have already discovered, the risk to you of getting an STD from the exposures you describe is quite low.  There is no meaningful risk for any STD from condom protected sex when the condom is used throughout the exposure and the risk of STD from receipt of unprotected sex is likewise quite low.  Your negative tests a month following your most recent exposure validate that you did not acquire an STD and should put your mind to rest that all is OK in terms of STDs from the exposures you describe.  I would not worry or test further.

As for your specific questions:
Yes, this can happen over time.  In most people however symptoms do occur or the infection persists, at least for a while.

Of course there is a chance but in your circumstance, the chance that this occurred is very, very low and based on the information you have provided, is not something you should worry about.

Anything is possible but the chance that this happened is really too small to worry about.  It is far more likely that you were not infected.

4.) Is there any chance I could have contracted an STD and not know it? .
See above- most unlikely.

I hope these comments are helpful. Short of acknowledging your exposures to your wife and her being tested, there is little more that can, or should, be done.  EWH
Thank you for your reply.

From reading over the posts in this forum I believe a reoccurring theme is whether or not gonorrhea and or chlamydia can be cleared by the body and if one will have symptoms most of the time if they are infected.

Many STD education sites stress that you can have either or both and not know it. From your reassuring replies I get the impression that one would most likely know if they had a STD by vary obvious symptoms and related test results.

Couple that with a case of urethritis and mental anguish takes over.

At some point it becomes a psychological endeavor even when the evidence shows that one does not have a STD.

As you say, stop the worry and crotch watch and move on with your life.

Lesson learned, avoid these activities and save yourself the anguish.

Thank you doctor,

Bob
Thanks for your thoughtful reply.  We sometimes pay a heavy price in letting parts of our body found below the belt do our thinking for us.  I agree that it istime for you to move foward and wih you the best.  Take care. EWH