STDs Community
Oral sex STD risk

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Oral sex STD risk

I am concerned about STD exposure for a male receiving unprotected oral sex and for performing unprotected oral sex on a female. I understand there is no HIV risk. What is the risk for other STDs? Thanks.
oral sex is very low risk in general. we don't recommend any testing from it unless you develop symptoms.

grace
Chylamdia is a big risk and is easily transmitted through oral sex, there are other STD's that can be transmitted through oral sex, I recommened that you search about STD's.
less than 5% of folks have chlamydia orally so odds are you aren't going to contract it from receiving oral sex.  it's certainly nothing that is easily transmitted through oral.

we never try to scare folks needlessly around here.  You will find post after post after post by Dr Hook, and Dr Handsfield, both experts in the field of std's saying that the risk of any std from oral sex is very low in general. This info is backed in a multitude of studies on pubmed.gov also.

grace
Could you make clearer what you mean by less than 5% have chlamydia orally? Also would not the risk from receiving unprotected oral from a sex worker be much greater than the general population? What about the risk for gonorrhea and syphilis?
if you had 100 sexually active people in a room together, less than 5 of them would have chlamydia orally.  

no, the risk of a std from a sex worker isn't really all that much higher.

if you've had no symptoms and it's been a few weeks, time to put the incident behind you and move forward.
I had oral sex that i performed on a female i just met> It was 5 days ago. I have no symptoms. I did not see any signs of abnomalities. We did have interocurse but i am sure the condom did not fail or malfuction. What risk to i run of std orally.
If you want a Dr to respond you have to pay and post in the expert forum. For a free response start your own thread.