STDs Community
Pain in Urethra and Reactive Arthritis

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Pain in Urethra and Reactive Arthritis

I'm trying to get some insight about my health situation. I'm a 25-year-old male who's been monogamous and sexually active with my monogamous female partner for five+ years. About two weeks ago I developed some pain at the tip of my urethra. It's just a lingering pain - not unbearable, mostly just annoying - and there's no discharge or noticeable swelling or redness. I went to a med clinic a week after my pain started and a doctor prescribed me a course of Doxycycline. A few days later I started getting arthritic pains throughout my body (knees, hands, elbows, etc.).

Since my partner and I have had no record or STDs, ever, and we're both faithful to each other, I have no personal reason to suspect any of the typical STDs associated with polygamous sexual activity. However, I'm still awaiting the results of an STD test for to make sure.

It's important to note that a week prior to developing my symtoms (symptoms), I used some of my own saliva to masturbate. It's not something I usually do and it's kind of embarrassing to admit, but it seemed like no big deal at the time.

Is it possible that I transmitted an adenovirus from my saliva to my urethra, and that it has now consequently spread to my joints? That seems like the most likely cause to me based on my own reasearch, but I wanted a professional opinion. I don't know if this is related, but my partner is complaining of a slight head cold right now and I felt like I had a slight head cold prior to developing symptoms.

Do you have any idea what the most likely cause of the infection is? And is there prognosis about how long my arthritis could last, and what should I tell my doctor to help him help me evaluate further?

Thanks in advance!
Just got a call the health clinic. My STD test came back negative. Could this be yeast, ecoli?
Hello

You can not get arthritis from what you described.   Do you know that you have adnovirus?  Also it is unlikely that you can auto infect you self in the way you describe.  

If you have no reason to suspect Stds then there is no reason to test.    

There are alot of monogamous relationships where men are reporting symptoms of uretherisis.  (Non chlamydia-NGU).  
I don't know if it's an adenovirus, that was just a suspicion. I'm not qualified to self-diagnose.

Seeing that my STD test came back negative, I'm not sure what it could be. And ideas? It seems as if the pain in my urethra and arthritis are connected, but I have no idea what is causing them.
usually you have more constant symptoms with the virual uti/ngu's.

it could be something as simple as irritation. If it doesn't go away after a week after completing your antibiotics, follow up on it again and make sure they do a manual exam of your prostate too.

did they diagnose you as having arthritis based just on symptoms or did they also do some testing for it?

grace
Hi Grace, Thanks for you reply (you too JesseJames)

I wasn't diagnosed with arthritis. I'm experiencing pains in my joints and aches all over my body. It's really weird, actually. Do you think it could be related?

that all over achy feeling can be caused my many things. it's a side effect for some folks when on antibiotics. it can be caused by viruses too.  if it's lasted more than a few days, time to be seen for a proper evaluation!
Incase it helps anyone who is looking for answers, here's an update:

I saw a urologist who checked me out and basically told me not to worry. He didn't prescribe any additional antibiotics for my non-specific NGU. He said these things generally go away after a few weeks. I still have aches over my body and mild pain in urethra, but I'll just be patient and stay positive.
I'm still confused about this...

My symptoms for about five weeks include urethritis, pressure in my bladder, occasional pain in my abdomen, frequency of urination, short-lived pains and aches throughout various places in my body. There is no discharge or signs of an visible irregularities. I took an STD test and urine analysis and everything came back negative. I've been on courses of Bactrim, Doxycycline and Arithromycin and the symptoms are still not improving.

Any advice for further treatment or diagnosis and could this be a virus or trichomonas vaginalis?
Doubt trich based on symptoms, but never hurts to test and a ositive test in males is sometime tough.
I appreciate the quick reply and advice once again. As I understand, most non-specific NGU goes away on its own over time? So even if it takes several more months, I might just have to tough out these symptoms and hope my body naturally heals itself, because my health care expired and I wasn't able to purchase a new policy because of this "preexisting condition."

That said, any suggestions for coping with this until I have an opportunity for health care again? I can't do further harm if I leave this untreated, could I?
I don't see this as anything related to a STD.
My Followup: Almost one year later

Before I say anything else, I want to thank the forum members who help people like myself anonymously ask for advice on issues that they are scared to say publicly.

Long story short:
My symptoms went away and I wish I hadn't worried about it so much.

Short story long:
It turns out that my symptoms were caused by prostatitis (swelling of the prostate). I saw another urologist who gave me that diagnosis, and in hindsight he seemed to be correct.

In my case, the prostate inflammation was expressing itself as urethra pain amongst other minor things. It's weird how all the nerves work in that area. There are many factors, both known and unknown, that can cause prostate swelling, but my hunch is that mine was related with yeast/alcohol. I'm just a casual drinker (2-3 beers on the weekends), but I cut out beer as my urologist suggested and my prostatitis gradually went away. Go figure! He told me is was okay to drink hard alcohol, if I really wanted, but I cut out all alcohol to nip this in the bud. My symptoms slowly started to go away, and then they were gone within a month. I can now drink beer again, and if I feel a slight onset of symptoms, I just back off and all is good.

So my advice to anyone with sudden onset of urethra pain, which doesn't seem to be something that was likely transmitted through sex: don't panic like I did! Factor in that it could potentially be your prostate, and mind your diet.