STDs Community
Painful genital bumps

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Painful genital bumps

I have had painful bumps around my vagina and thighs for several years. About 4 years ago I went to the local Health Department for my annual check up and I talked to the nurse practitioner about it. She said that they were probably hair follicles and that I should leave them alone. The only problem is they are very painful. They do not rupture. I have to squeeze them to release the puss, which is usually white or just blood. If I don’t squeeze them they are excruciatingly painful so much so that I can barely walk. I asked the nurse if she thought they looked like herpes and she said no. There is no rash or blisters like the pictures I have seen online of herpes. Where are lymph nods in your legs? I also get hard knots in the tops of my legs at my inner thigh, which is very painful. Is that lymph nods? I noticed some comments online that the lymph nods in the top of your legs get swollen. The nurse did not culture the bump. Is a culture of an outbreak the only way to test for the herpes virus or is there a blood test for if you don’t have an outbreak at the time of your appointment? I have read a few articles online that genital ulcers are commonly misdiagnosed. I am calling the health department tomorrow and scheduling an appointment. It is time for my annual check up anyway and I will talk to the nurse about it but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and I would kind of like to know if I should be adamant about testing for the herpes virus if they try to blow me off again. This is about to worry me to death. I am not a promiscuous person. I have been married for 20 years and have only had 4 partners. My husband was my first and only for 10 years then I found out he was cheating and I left. We were separated for about 3 years and got back together. I was only sexually active with 3 partners while we were separated and 2 were one-night stands. My husband and I have been back together for 6 years now and I have been with no one but him. If I had been infected with an STD during our separation wouldn’t I have had symptoms within 2 to 3 years?
I believe, hair follicles are not puss or blood filled... (HSV1 & 2 type specific Ab IgG) test can actually tell if these are herpes... If these turn to be herpes, there are many suppressive treatments available those can relieve the pain and reduce the recurrences... Usually, it takes not more than 3 months to show up any STD including the deadliest one HIV... But there are many STDs those are asymptomatic (with no symptoms)... The surest way to confirm is going for all the STD tests...
Thanks for the response Naveed. One other question...Can you be tested for ALL STDs by a blood test or are there STDs which must be tested by a culture of a sore or ulcer? I would like to know before I go for my annual just so I am in the know. Thanks again for the help.
Hi there -

I'm sorry your nurse didn't culture these years ago.  You can get a culture done, and ask them to do a typed herpes culture and a bacterial culture.  

You can also get the blood test done to help confirm or rule out herpes.

This wouldn't be gonorrhea or chlamydia, but if you've been sexually active, or haven't been tested since you found out about your husband, it never hurts to test.  Those should be done with a urine test or a swab of the vagina.

Aj
Thanks for the response Aj. I think I am going to request testing for all STDs at my appointment which is on the 19th. These bumps will probably be gone by then but they should still be able to do the blood and urine tests, right? I know I am full of questions, but can you still have an STD if the blood and urine tests show up negative? I know I have read or heard somewhere that the tests can sometimes be inaccurate. I am pretty sure that I was tested for all STD's and HIV/Aids at my first annual check-up after my husband and I got back together and they all showed up negative. That would have been about 6 or 7 years ago. I would have been tested at the health dept because that's were I get all my annuals so I will ask them if it is in my chart. I got tested because I had been sexually active with 3 men during the 3 years we were seperated and that is when the bumps started appearing.
The tests can sometimes be negative, but most of it depends on timing from your last possible exposure.  

Aj
Do you think that it is very unlikely (although not impossible) that these bumps are STD related if I have been with no other partners since my husband and I got back together in 2001 and he has been with no one else either? I have talked to a couple of freinds and although they aren't 100% sure, they said that there would most likely be an outbreak from an STD within 7 years
Another thing which might be relevent is that my husband doesn't have any outbreaks of these bumps either and we have been together over 20 years.
I can go as far as to say unlikely to be an std, but not impossible.

However, you do need to get them checked.  Painful sores are being caused by SOMETHING, and you should be able to get some answers.  (Sorry, I'm still a bit ticked off by the "just leave them alone" comment years ago lol)

You don't need to suffer this way.

Aj
I do try to leave them alone the best I can but that doesn't seem to help the problem or the pain. It seems if I don't release the infection they don't go away and neither does the discomfort. It's a very personal thing to discuss and back then I was a lot shier than I am now. I guess age does that to you : ) but someone will without a doubt discuss this with me at my appointment if I have to ask the nurse to get me someone else to talk to if she doesn't have time or doesn't want to. I finally talked to my husband about this last night, he has always known that I get the painful bumps but I never really discussed my fears of STD's with him. He seemed to feel the same way everyone else does, that we should have both had symptoms by now if we had contracted something 7 years ago and he has never had any problems. He assured me he has been faithful for 7 years and I know I have but I am still going to request the testing because something must be going on. These are regular occurances sometimes 2 or 3 times a month and they seem to be occurring more often as time goes by. I do appreciate all your time and help. Have a great day!
If its not age, I bet its PAIN doing this to you lol.

It sounds way too frequent to be herpes, but you do deserve some answers after all this time.

Keep me posted.

Aj
Well I have another symptom. I really don't believe this is herpes but who knows. About  six months ago I got this really pesky bump on my leg. Oh it hurt something awful. I went to my family md and she said it could be staph but it resembled a spider bite also. Well I don't have insurance and I couldn't afford a culture at the time. So we treated it like staph I took the antibiotics and kept it clean and it finally healed but it left behind a very very ugly dark scare. This wasn't the first one either I have a total of 4 scars on the calf of my right leg from these painful bumps. But the one about six months ago was the worst. Now I have another one. I get razor bumps a lot because I have very sensitive skin. Most people have problems with dull razors but when I change blades is when I have the worst problem. I guess I'm a little backward. : ) But anyway I have another one on the same leg. Right calf (between my ankle and knee very close to my knee). Is it normal for a herpes outbreak to be on the calf of your leg? Also, I've had a few people tell me that if we have both been monogamous for over 7 years and one of us had an STD from sexual encounters while we were separated 7 years ago we would have become very ill if they went untreated for 7 years. Does that sound accurate? I guess I am going to worry myself sick and drive you nuts before my appointment on the 19th. I called and was told that a culture is $45 and I think I am going to call my md and see if she will give me an order for a culture on this new bump on my leg. I guess peace of mind that it isn't staph is worth $45. And you know how people are, oh that's staph, that's not staph it's a spider bite and on and on. So maybe they all need peace of mind too about what’s on my leg. I think its in-grown hairs because they tend to come up after I shave. Got any thoughts?
I think it could be staph causing all of it, and a culture is worth it at this point.

You should also call your local health dept and ask what programs they have for people with no insurance.

Aj
Well I went to my md today and I got the culture done. I don't have a clue what is going on. The doc said pretty much the same thing this time "do you want to just treat it as staph without a culture since you have no insurance". I've had enough of this and I want to know what this is and that's pretty much what I told her. She said she didn't blame me she would feel the same way but we could just treat it for staph and it wouldn't cost me so much. I insisted though and I when I got to the hospital to do the labs because they were fresh out of swabs at the docs office they offered for me to speak to someone with med assist which will help pay for part if not all of my culture which will help financially so it's a little better. But I am to the point that I need answers it is the most desperate feeling not knowing what is going on with you when you have these extensively painful bumps. I mean I can't even put weight down on my foot to walk sometimes it hurts so bad. I don't like pain but I can tolerate it pretty well. I had 4 children all natural births except my last one. The only thing I had during natural childbirth with my first three children was a local so I can tolerate pain and this is terrible. At 8:30pm I feel so physically drained that I ache all over. This is horrible and I got to figure this out. I sure appreciate all your help. You are very kind to take time to sit and talk to people giving them your opinion and I just wanted you to know I genuinely appreciate it. The doc said the results of my culture will take 48 hours and to call her on Saturday to check in and see if she has them. I will let you know how it turns out. Have a good evening!
Oh I'm glad you are getting some answers FINALLY, and got some info about med assts.  

Please let me know what you find out.

Aj
I will keep you posted. Who knows maybe if I find out something this thread might help someone else out there going through something similar. Although a visit to the doc is the best solutions. We could talk about it for hours and it wouldn't give the answers you really need when something is recurring like this. It's hard with no insurance with the ghastly medical cost in this day and age but you have to do what you have to do. I'll let you know what I find out.

One quick question...when the lab tech did the culture she didn't get much at all because there is no drainage. Do you know if a tiny bit will work on the culture? She seemed to think it might but didn't really say that it would. Here exact words were "we'll see". That's just what I need if it wasn't enough. She did get some fluid but it was extremely little. She was super nice too. I almost felt sorrier for her then I did myself. LOL She kept asking if I was ok cause I had to sit there a minute and get it together. It was very painful. Poor girl. She talked to me for a little bit too. Said you could never be sure without a culture (which makes sense) but if the spot had been there for 3 or 4 days it shouldn't be that dry. I guess we'll see though.
Ahhh I hate "we'll see", but she's right - it might work, it might not.  :(

Let me know.

AJ
Well the spot on my leg tested positive for MRSA. So I have staph, no insurance and I am allergic to sulphar drugs. The sensativity test showed the bacteria was sensitive to Tetracycline. She put me on that since there is no sulpha and it is a lot more affordable. She said to be extremely clean and cautious with it. Keep it covered up, don't let anyone wear my clothes or use wash clothes or towels after me without washing them. So I went out and got me some Lysol disinfectant spray with bleach, clorox whips and germ-x. Hopefully I wont transmit this to anyone else. I will just keep it covered up and clean it frequently and hopefully I will get rid of this pesky SUPER painful sore on my leg. I don't know if the bumps around my inner thighs and pubic area are the same thing because they aren't similar to this at all. But I will talk to the nurse about it at my annual check-up. I tend to think they are irritated hair follicles but don't know why they didn't develope staph as well if I am a carrier of MRSA. I think I will still request the STD testing at my annual because these bumps do not resemble one another at all in looks or pain so I still want to be cautious. I don't know this is all very confusing. I have a sister-in-law who is an LPN and a sister who is a RN. I have bugged the fire out of them today bombarding them with questions. They say this stuff is super duper contagious. But the doc and my sister/sister-in-law all say that as long as I am clean about it that I shouldn't pass it around to anyone and I have every intention of doing just that. They say that everyone has a better chance of catching it from someone who isn't diagnosed with it than me because I know what it is and am being very cautious about it. Well, I do appreciate all of your help and time talking with me. You have been very helpful and I hope to return the favor someday if not for you then maybe someone else. I hope you have a great weekend!
Ohh you know, I had wondered about MRSA, but thought that surely someone along the way had tested you for that.

Good lord.

I am SO glad you found out, and I don't know if you qualify, but you should call your state assistance program first thing Monday morning and see if you qualify for any assistance programs.  They also can hook you up with prescription assistance.  Even if you make too much money, sometimes they have assistance programs when you get a significant diagnosis.

Good luck!!

Aj
Well I paid for my office visit and the medassist program will pay for my culture and sensitivity test. My script this time was only 12.99. So I am only out about 78 bucks over this right now. I have had a couple people tell me that the only way to treat MRSA is through IV antibiotics. If it comes to that I will have to try to find assistance. But for now if this is all I have to pay then I'm ok. I am so confused, I have had people tell me that once you have the MRSA bacteria then you are always a carrier it just lays dorment. Are there any posts on this website on MRSA? I looked in the forums for staph and MRSA but there aren't any forum topics. I've been trying to educate myself a little bit on this but there are SO MANY sites out there and of course with that much literature they are going to be contradictorial. Just thought I could look through some experiences others have shared if there is topics on here on MRSA and staph bacteria.
I did a search for MRSA in the search medholp search box at the top of the page and I got a result of 506 posts so no need to answer that question. : )
Talk to you soon
LOL if the 506 responses don't help, let me know.

Aj
Well I got a little bit of info out of the 506 results of my search. But it took so long to try to shuffle through them that I eventually ended up posting my own question in the Dermatology forum and I did get a response from a doctor. You know how you are looking for a certain topic and you end up reading threads that aren't even relevant to what you were looking for. Curiosity got the cat I guess. : )

I love this website. It's so helpful when trying to understand all this confusing medical stuff. The people on here are very helpful, courteous and understanding. I'm really glad I found this site.
Talk to you soon
This is crazy and stressing me really bad. When I orginaly started this post back on 8-1 I had a bump right in the crease of my leg and vagina and a bump that was totaly different from that one at the top of my leg next to my pelvic bone (not in the crease of my leg but very close). The one in close to my vagina is not gone but it is smaller and less painful. It never ruptured, drained or anything. I tried to sqeeze it for relief whe it came up and got such a small amount of bloody fluid out if it that it was almost like nothing. The one on the top of my leg next to my pelvic bone is still there and just as painful as it was 10 days ago. This morning there is one at the top of my leg on the other side (my left leg) next to my pelvic bone almost perfectly horizontal with the one on the right side. They are both very painful too. I feel completely drained and starting to get a head cold. I sure hope I can hold off until next Tuesday (8-19) for my appointment at the health dept. These things are painful. Nothing is draining at all except the one on my right calf that was cultured and diagnosed as MRSA. I've read about swollen lymph nodes in the top of your legs. Does the location of the ones I have described close to my pelvic bone sound like swollen lymph nodes? What causes swollen lymph nodes in the lower extremities?
Infection can cause that, and most certainly could be caused by the MRSA.  

If you are feeling so badly, you need to go to the health dept before the 19th.  Since MRSA can infect your bloodstream, you need to make sure you don't have it internally now.  

MRSA can also infect your lungs and cause pneumonia, so its extremely important that you get this cold checked out.  Please don't wait.

Aj
I did read about MRSA pneumonia and how the bacteria could affect internal organs. I have been worrying about that too. If this actually goes back to that first sore that appeared 5 or 6 years ago who knows if it has been infecting something internaly. I don't know what to do I got enough money to go back to the doctor and if she wants to run any tests I can request she send me back to the hospital lab were I can get help with the labs through medassist. But does the health departments usually help or treat for staph infections? I would think that each helth department would be different and I guess the best thing to do would be to call the health department first but I want to ask a huge favor and I don't want to sound silly but how do I say it to them? Do I just ask if they have treatments and testing for MRSA? Would it be better if I just paid the $65 for the office visit and went back to my doctor about this rather then the health department? My husband had a head cold last week so I was pushing this off on catching a cold from him. It's not really bad yet but I've just been having symptoms for a couple days. I have been worried though that even if it is just a cold it could turn to pneumonia easily since my immune system has got to be down from this staph infection. I'm going to go get it checked out as soon as I can, hopefully tomorrow if I can get my work caught up. But do you think this is something for the doctor or the health department?
I don't think it matters, but you need to get seen somewhere.

I don't have health insurance and flipped down the stairs last week, thinking I broke my ankle.  I didn't want to go to the doctor, but my sister made me.  Turns out it is severely sprained, but I say this because I get the worry about the money, I really do.

However, this is serious enough that you need to be seen someplace, and ask the health dept about assistance programs, like medicaid, etc.  Its time.  I'm sure the health dept is well aware of MRSA and treating it.  But since you are being treated by your doctor, you might want to call her and ask about your symptoms, at least.

Since you have the MRSA diagnosis, your husband should also be checked since he is having some symptoms.  

I'm sorry its not easier for you.  It shouldn't be this hard to get care when just because you don't have insurance.

Please keep me posted.

Aj
I know what you mean about the insurance. My husband and I both work and he can get insurance through work but it is very expensive like 70 a paycheck and even if we got it it at the next enrollment which is not until October or November it wouldn't cover anything to do with the MRSA because it would be preexisting. We have 3 children still at home and I get a medical card for them thank goodness but between bills grocery and gas to work we can't afford 240 a month for insurance. We just don't make that much. I know there are programs out there to help but finding them is the problem. I have been blowed off so many times and asked well do you want to just take a chance and treat your symptoms by a shot in the dark since you don't have insurance comments that I get very discouraged. I will get this checked out though. How do they test you for pneumonia do you know? Is it a blood test or what?
Its totally discouraging - I get that.  I ended up quibbling about the cost of crutches, which is sad.

They will probably do a test that swabs the inside of your nose, and a chest x-ray.

If your kids qualify for medical cards, you probably should too.

Aj
I think what probably knocks me out of it is that we don't pay mortgage or rent. We bought this place from my brother about 4 years ago and it's nothing fancy just an old mobile home and we added another mobile home behind it. We call it our redneck doublewide (LOL). But I would not trade this place for a 3 story brand new house if I had to make a payment on it. If it means paying a mortgage or rent to get medical assistance then I will just stay here in my red-neck doublewide and work out the money I need to go to the doctor every once in a while. Only problem is if something big comes up with me or my husband (like this MRSA thing has the potential too) we might be in serious trouble. But I got assistance with the culture so I'm sure there are programs out there to help me I just have to find them. I'm a little concerned about the health care I have been provided. I'm a backwards person and I don't talk much about personal issues like bumps on my thighs and stuff so when I go to get something checked out that is concerning me and pretty much get a blow off like just leave them alone or do you just want to treat it for staph and hope we're doing the right antibiotic usually rubs me the wrong way and I kind of crawl back in my shell thinking I blew things all out of proportion. I don't know. Lord knows I sure am tired of dealing with this and can't understand for the life of me how this could be normal for 5+ years. I had very irregular periods for many many years. I would go for 4 or 5 months without a period and they would tell me at the health department that some women were like that and not to be concerned unless I wasn't having at least 4 a year. I was like WOW. I thought it was normal to have a period every month not have one for 4 months and then be regular for 2 or three and skip 3 or 4 again. I've always got tried to stay caught up on my annuals but I got a little behind this time since I haven't had one since December 06 but I always stayed pretty regular with them. I never had an irregular pap except once and I had to go back in for a pelvic exam over that one and they said everything seemed fine so it may have just been an infection that my body cleared up on its own. That was about 8 or 9 years ago and I know I have at least 6 paps since then and never an abnormal one again. So maybe they were right but it just seems that everything that doesn't make sense to me is normal to them. I try to talk to them and understand it but I always feel like I'm being blown off because I get the ‘it's just normal with some women’ comments and that's it. I sure don't want to obsess over it so I just let it go and trust they are the professionals and know what they are talking about. But I'm sure there are programs out there I can get help if something major comes up. I will just have to put some effort into finding them if I need to but I pray I don't. I want nothing more than for all their seemingly blow off comments to be accurate and this all be normal. But it just doesn't seem right. WOW...I've just jabbered away here so I will hush now...LOL. My husband always tells me I don't talk much but when I do I don't shut up for hours. : ) I'll keep you posted.
Talk to you soon. Have a good night!
Sorry about that but I forgot to tell you how sorry I am to hear about your ankle. Hope it gets better for you real soon. Sometimes bad sprains hurt as bad as breaks so they say. Knock on wood, I've never had a broken bone but lots of sprains so I know how that hurts.
Talk to you soon.
I can help you with some MRSA info :)

Community acquired MRSA is most likely the strain of it you have. It usually doesn't take IV antibiotics.  Usually we use bactrim but since you are allergic to that they are using the tetracycline which is fine.  

As far as your family - you need to be sure to wash your clothing in HOT water and use the dryer on high until you are done with antibiotics. There is some info on not sharing bar soap either when you have active mrsa going on too.  

Because you've potentially been walking around with this for awhile now it might take several trips back to the doctor for treatment.  I know that's rough when you are paying out of pocket but if they bill it as a follow up appointment it will be cheaper or even no charge each time since it's still the same original infection.

grace
Hi Garce. Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. I have just been very busy with work and trying to fit in going to the doctor. I did go back because there were two bumps which came up on the inside of my thighs. They have not broken out into a huge spot like the one on the calf of my leg but they are very sensitive and I am not bothering them. Just doing what the doctor said and washing them with antibacterial soap and applying neosporin. No one mentioned it to me but I was concerned about the bar soap also, so I just went with my instinct and got the liquid, guess it's a good thing I did. : ) At first I didn't but now I am putting all my clothes in a bag and washing them by themselves, the doctor said it probably isn't necessary but if I felt better doing it as an extra precaution it would not hurt anything. It doesn't create a lot of extra work so I thought why not. I know I am probably over stressing with this but I can't help it I just want to prevent giving this to someone else if I possibly can. I have lysol, clorox whips and hand sanitizer wish I am using very liberally along with bleach. I bleach the tub everytime I take a shower or wash the sore on my leg and I spray down all the faucets. I hope I'm doing enough. Everyone has been telling me to uncover the sore and let it air out but instinct tells me to keep it covered up until the draining subsides a little more and then let it dry out. It seems like it drains more when it's uncovered than when it's covered. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing but common sense tells me to keep it covered up if it's draining alot because there is less chance of it coming in contact with someone else. I'm taking my antibiotics everyday and doing everything I can to get rid of it so hopefully it will work. When I went back to the doctor over the new little bumps on my thighs she gave me another perscription for tetracycline to take after this course is up so this will be 20 days of it. But if there's a bump again close to the 20 days I'm going back. They didn't charge me less still cost me the same as a regular office visit but I will mention it if I do have to go back after the 20 days. It never hurts to ask I suppose. One thing I'm a little concerned about is what if there are no signs (like bumps) when the 20 days is up and we think we got it but we didn't. What are the chances of this bacteria being resistant to tetracycline if I have to start all over again? Also, if you don't get it all, is it like starting all over again and again until it just never comes back? I really do appreciate you sharing your knowledge on this. There doesn't seem to be a lot of people out there who are very familar with this.
Hope you have a great evening!
I know it's easy for me to say this but time will tell if this 2nd round takes care of it or not. Hang in there - hopefully this is all cleared up soon!  

Do you qualify for any state medical programs for some health insurance of some sort?

grace
I do understand what your saying. It is kind of frustrating wondering how long it's goin to take to get rid of this or if I even can. They say some people can and some can't. Lord I just pray I'm in the some that can. But that's pretty much what my doctor told me too, we just have to see if it comes back. If it doesn't then you know you got rid of it. It is kind of a stinky prognosis, but it goes with it I suppose. It makes me mad sometimes but not at anyone, just at the situation. You know what I mean? I sure hope that eventually something can be found to get a more deffinate prognosis this stuff is awful. Not only is it bad for your health and skin it's mentally anguishing too always wondering if you're going to get rid of it.

I guess I don't qualify for any type of medical programs. I just recertified for the kids medical cards which is the KCHIP program (KY Child Health Insurance Program) and they didn't tell me I did, but I didn't ask either. I did qualify for the medassist program at the hospital lab which paid the 448 bill for the culture and sensitivity test thank goodness. Right now I've paid out 2 office visits at 65 each and the meds which was only 13 each. I have spent more on the gauze, bandages, tape, lysol, hand sanitizer and clorox whips than I have on the meds.

I have started using liquid detergent with color safe bleach in it, do you think that will help with the laundry?
Yeah, that will work.  :)

I'm sorry its so frustrating.

Aj
Thanks Aj

: )
Ok now I have a yeast infection. Can this be from the tetracycline? I spent the whole afternoon on the couch yesterday and felt like ****. Still not feeling my best at all. The bumps are still there on the inside of my thighs. One of them drained a bloody color and stained the side of my panties. Think I should see doctor or wait until Tuesday morning for my appointment at the health department. I can't really afford another office visit the other two have already set us back on one bill. The stress of not having a clue if this is all issues related to the staph infection is driving me nuts too. Got any advise for the yeast infection (home remedies, etc) that I can try and hopefully put this off until 9:15 Tuesday morning? The sore on my leg (calf) is itching like crazy and starting to dry up so I think it's beginning to heal. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Oh tetracycline can give you yeast easily.  :(  I'm sorry you have that on top of everything else.

I think you can wait till Tuesday.  Make sure to ask them about assistance programs.  

I'm sorry you feel so miserable.  

Aj
Oh...thanks for the kind thoughts. I hate feeling so bad and drug down all the time, but I've read how antibiotics are really bad for dragging you down so maybe that's part of it. I have a pretty fast paced job, 4 kids and a husband so life doesn't stop when I get sick. All the responsibilities are still there and I don't get a lot of sympothy around here so I'm just getting in the dumps a little I guess. I'll bounce back I'm sure.
Thanks for the help.
Hope your ankle is getting better. : )
Talk to you soon.
Hon -

You have MRSA.  You have a yeast infection.  Your body is fighting two infections at once, and you've had MRSA a long freaking time.  Its no wonder you feel bad.

You have 4 kids and a husband and a job (what - no dog?)  That alone can make you tired, even if you weren't sick. You yourself said life doesn't stop.  

Just don't be too hard on yourself, ok?

The ankle is ok.  I am over it now, but its not getting much better.

Aj
Ya I know..my body is actually fighting 3 infections, head cold, MRSA and yeast infection. I'm going to try to get some help with this in the morning. I'm still feeling very yucky today and I don't usually stay sick very long. I can usually bounce back pretty fast but this is going on 10 days. I finish the first round of tetracycline tomorrow. I take 4 a day and I have 5 left in the first script. Now my whole forehead is covered with little white bumps that look like pimples and they are coming up on my chest too. I have felt like someone is throwing scalding water on my face all day its so dry. I guess this might be a side effect too but hopefully the nurse can help me with understanding some of the side effects at my appointment tomorrow. I don't know for sure if I'm having a reaction to the tetracycline but the insert from the pharmacy said it was highly unlikely to have a reaction so maybe it's just side effects. I know when I had the reaction to sulpha I was burning up with fever and I've only been a little feverish today but nothing to be concerned about. I'm going to google after I get some work done and hopefully I will find a few common side effects.

Glad to hear your feeling better.
I think you need to stop the tetracycline, just in case this is a reaction.  One day isn't going to make a difference.

You should also make sure these spots aren't MRSA.

I'm getting really concerned about you, so I hope you keep me posted.

Aj
I will. I hope they can culture them at the health department. I'm hoping that they won't mind spending a little time with me helping me to understand this staph/mrsa a little better. I get a lot of conflicting information from a lot of different sources (like doctors, pharmacist, nurses, and so on). It's almost like this is something that isn't entirely understood by the medical field either, at least not around here. One says it can be cured, one says it can't, literature says it can. It sounds like if the staph isn't exposed to the MRSA strain of bacteria then it's just staph. This is what happened with my nephew. He had staph but it wasn't the MRSA. It's just all so confusing. If I have learned anything from all this it is to leave these pesky little bumps alone. If it's staph and you sqeeze it then you don't get the bacteria off your hands or say it's laying dormant under your fingernails then the chances of passing it on are extremely higher and the chances of spreading it to another part of your body is much greater. This really seems to be some pretty complex stuff and it seems a lot of it is still being understood by the medical field.

I have already taken all four doses for today but if I am still not feeling right or these rashes are worse in the morning I won't take it before going to the health department. I did find the literature for side effects of tetracycline and it said it was commonly used for acne also. I wonder if this may be a small reaction or side effect. I sure hope so because there aren't many antibiotics out there that this type of staph is sensitive to and I already know I can't take the sulpha so it's not going to be good for me if I end up allergic to another one. My skin is very dry especially on my face and neck. When I take a shower sometimes the hot water just about knocks me out. It doesn't really sting or burn it's just like my skin is super super sensitive. I will keep you posted though. I'll let you know what they tell me tomorrow.
Have a good night!
Staph is one thing - MRSA is another.  Think herpes type 1 and 2, or hepatitis a, b and c - same things, mostly, but with some differences.

You should also ask if you can have a nasal swab.  I think that's the test that looks to see if you have it internally, but I don't know if you will still test pos since you have it on your skin, too.

Let me know how it goes, ok?

Aj
Well I didn't get any swabs and they didn't address the staph issue at all except to answer my questions. She (the nurse at the hd) said the rash on my forehead and the little red dots on my stomach looks like an allergic reaction. She was pretty sure that I am having allergies to something and probably the tetracycline. I called my doctor as they advised me too and she said she would leave it up to me if I wasn't feeling well to stop the tetracycline and told me to get some benadryl for the reaction. If this is a reaction I am pretty sure it is a mild one. I don't feel anything like I did when I had the reaction to sulpha, I was extremely sick then. I did ask the nurse at the hd if we should have my family (husband and children) tested for staph since this appeared to go back to similar symptoms from several years ago and she said there really wasn't any reason too because everyone carries staph and it never bothers most people but some people have problems with it. But you can bet if my kids or husband ever have a spot come up on them that won’t heal they are getting a culture. I asked the nurse a lot of questions this morning about staph and she was very helpful, she talked to me for about 5 minutes answering my questions. Even though they say you can get rid of it they are also saying everyone has it and you never get rid of it. I think I am just going to keep taking the tetracycline and benadryl unless I begin having severe reactions and then I will go to the ER were I can get help with medassist. She said that the best prevention was applying antibiotic ointment to all cuts and scraps and keep your hands and house clean was about all you can do. She said most people who have problems with it have low immune systems and I probably needed to eat healthier and quit smoking and that would boost my immunity a lot. So I'm going to work on that. I feel a little better today, not as nauseous and yucky feeling. She did do a test for yeast and bladder and it was all negative. I have to go back in Friday for fasting labs, they're going to test my thyroid, cholesterol, sugar and do thorough labs because there is a history in my family. She said my thyroid was a little large, which it always has been. As for the STD testing I asked her if there was test in my chart and she said she didn't go back that far but she didn't see any signs during my exam and asked if I wanted to do that today. I explained that my husband and I were separated for about 3 years and we've been back together now for about 7 or 8 years and we haven't been with anyone else since we got back together. She said we could do the tests if I wanted to but she didn't see anything during the exam (pelvic, pap, etc) that showed concern so I told her we didn't need to. I know I had testing after we got back together and they showed up negative so I really don't see how that could be a possibility. If I had an STD for 7 or 8 years I would have had some signs by now right? I feel like I get blowed off a lot so maybe I'm just panicking or something. I'm sure if there were legitimate concerns they would insist on having it checked out with or without insurance. So I think I am just going to try to calm down about all this, try to get over this MRSA infection, keep trying to quit smoking and start eating some healthy snacks. I'm not a big junk eater but I'll start snacking on some healthy fruits and vegetables through the day and maybe that will help my immune system. I asked her about the spots on the inside of my thighs and she said they could have staph in them but they aren’t uncommon. She said to keep them clean and dry. She said most peoples problems are from jumping out of the shower and not drying off really good leaving the skin moist and sensitive to chafing and irritation from clothes. She recommended all cotton underwear and said shaving would irritate it more. Since this spot came up on my leg, I have using alcohol after shaving so hopefully if there is any bacteria the alcohol is taking care of that.
Thanks for all the help. Talk to you soon.
I can see how the information you've been given can be confusing.  Yes we all have staph on our bodies. It's completely normal when it stays where it's supposed to say ( the surface of the skin for the most part ).  We all walk around with a zillion different germs on our bodies ( and in them ) at all times. Most of them are "good" germs though even they can cause trouble when they get in an area they aren't supposed to be.  MRSA is something that yes indeed many of us have. Think of it as everyday ordinary staph bacteria gone to the dark side. Normally staph isn't an issue on our bodies - sure sometimes we get a cut and enough staph from the skin gets into it and infects it but overall it's not an issue.    mrsa is the same way - you can be colonized with it and it's normally not an issue.  Routine culturing of your family for mrsa isn't necessary because if they aren't having any problems with mrsa - it's not an issue.  You can be colonized ( which means you have enough of it on your body to be detected with routine swabbing of the nasal passages ) for years or you can be colonized for months. Pretty much if you aren't having active symptoms of complications from mrsa, it's not an issue.  normally our bodies keep the staph and the mrsa under control but sometimes it gets where it's not supposed to be and ta da - suddenly you have this annoying skin infection going on which is what is going on for you.  Your immune system is otherwise healthy so no worries about getting mrsa infections anywhere else on the body too.  Good handwashing, doing your laundry in hot water and such is all it takes to help keep this skin infection issue to yourself around the house.  

And yes as Jess already said - tetracycline is reknown for yeast infections :(  Did you ever get an otc yeast treatment for it and treat it?   You also might want to start eating some extra yogurt if you like it for the next couple of weeks to help replace your "good" bacteria in your bowels too ( look for ones with lots of active cultures in them ).  I fyou don't like yogurt I recommend lactobacillus gg ( you can usually find it at walmart now and it's called culturelle ).  It'll help replace the missing bacteria that the antibiotics have killed off while they were killing off the mrsa.  It'll help keep you from getting the runs from the antibiotics too.  

Hang in there - you'll be better soon :)

grace
See that's exactly how I was beginning to understand it but it seems that nobody can explain it to me like this. That is a very good description and I sure wish someone could have explained it to me that way. They just kept me running in circles, they always said it like "no this is not curable this is a problem you will have for the rest of your life and it could pop it's pesky little head up at any given time" and it can but it's just a case of everyday germs gone chaos and that makes sense. And you can be colonized (aka: a carrier) for years and then not be right? That's the way I understood it from the np at the hd this morning. Everyone is a carrier because staph is a bacteria everyone carries so to test the hubby and kids is really sensless because they will likely test as a carrier because over 50% of the population is a carrier. The only time you need to be tested is if you have a sore, right?

Thanks for the tips I do like yogurt so I will try to eat some each day. The yeast must have cleared up on it's own because it didn't show up this morning at the hd, so hopefully it is gone.
i feel for you - i am going through pretty much the same thing - it's so confusing - i don't know which hurts more - the mrsa, bumps or my emotions.
Some hospitals are now routinely swabbing everyone's nose for mrsa if you are going to be admited as a patient there. Anyone with mrsa either goes on a special floor or goes into isolation.  It's probably going to be routine everywhere in the US in a few years.  Of course some of them are also swabbing anus's too for other resistant bacteria. Just makes the thought of going to the hospital so much more fun right? he he he  I mean we had to come up with something to top those attractive patient gowns that never fit anyone and show your bare butt off to the world :D   Other than that as long as you don't have any active symptoms it's not going to be an issue for you once this is all cleared up.  At the institution I am employed at if you have 3 negative nasal swabs you are considered mrsa free again if you tested + for it in the past.  I think it's something like 20% of the population has mrsa but I'd have to look that up so don't quote me.  

Glad my simpler explanations worked for you. I am the queen of simple most days I think....lol.  

grace
Oh I said that wrong in my post..the nurse practioner at the health department told me this morning that if 100 people were tested for staph 50%(+/-) would be + and if those were then tested for MRSA approx 50% of them would be +. So that would be around 20-25%.

I'm sure it would be pretty irritating to have to go through all of the testing for staph to be admitted to the hospital but maybe that's not a bad thing either. It seems to me that this is probably why the staph/MRSA bug is so dramatic right now because of the hygiene. My boys play sports and have all of there lives back to age 5 and 6 and they are now 16 and 17. So I could have been exposed to this while washing very disgusting football, baseball or basketball uniforms. I also have had family who have been inmates and family who have worked in jails so I could have picked it up off them. Or I could've gotten it in Wal-Mart in the bathroom, off a cart or shelf, they say this is so contagious that all you have to do is touch it then touch and open surface on the skin and you got it. So hygeine must be the really big problem. I am very careful about washing my hands and I always always wash them after using a restroom (especially public) but this stuff is evidently too contagious for that. Now I pack hand sanitizer everywhere and I am starting to worry myself.

OK....BIG ONE HERE...My son now has a bump (resembling a boil) on the check of his butt. I'm trying not to worry myself into a frenzie over this but I sure hope this isn't the same thing. It doesn't look at all like the way mine started. The skin peeled back off mine and his isn't like that. He said it was tender but I told him to leave it alone if he could and I am taking him to the doctor first thing in the morning and getting it cultured.
Oh I'm glad you are taking him.  I'm sorry you are still going through this.  :(

Let us know, ok?

Aj
We went to the doctor's office this morning and they swabbed the bump and said the results would be back in 2 to 5 days. It was a little strange because I though they had to get the fluid out of the bump for the culture but she just rubbed the swab across the top of the bump and it has never been opened at all. I asked her about it and she said it didn't have to be draining all she had to do was swab the outside of it. The doctor gave him sulfameth/trimethoprim 800mg twice a day. As for me I'm still having a lot of nauseau and the rash on my forehead is still there but it isn't getting any worse. The little red dots on my stomach, chest and neck are going away some so hopefully the benedryl is countering what ever is causing the reaction. I started on the second round of tetracycline yesterday so I have 38 left to take. I sure do hope this works. The spot on my leg is getting better so hopefully that's a good sign. I let you know what I find out on the swab from my son. Take care.
Talk to you soon.
Hang in there!

Aj
No results on my son's culture yet I'm going to call in the morning. This has been a rough couple of days. I think I am deffinately having a reaction to this tetracycline and I'm not sure what to do. There is no way I can afford another $65 office visit right now and while my forehead and the little red dots have cleared up some my feet are now swelling very very bad. You can't even see my ankles and the nauseau is very bad. The benadryl seems to be helping with the rashes but the swelling and nauseau is not getting better. I had to just quit working today and go lie down. This is miserable. I finished the first 10 days on my second dose Tuesday. I have taken a total of 48 pills (tetracycline) which is 12 days and I have 32 left which is 8 more days. On the one hand, I am afraid to stop taking it because I really want to get this staph out of my system but on the other hand, I am so exhausted and don't want to feel this bad anymore. I'm also a little concerned about the swelling in my feet. I need to take 2 more doses today but I just don't know. The doctor told me on the phone the other day when I called about the hives and red dots that she would leave it up to me whether to stop taking it or not since it seemed like a mild reaction. This is crazy.
Well, maybe you can just do a phone consult with her and not actually have to go in.

If its making you feel this badly, there has to be another alternative.

I'm so sorry.  :(

Aj
I guess that's what I will do just call her in the morning. I took a benadryl so hopefully once I get in the bed and get them up they will go down some and the benadryl may help too.

Maybe there was another antibiotic that the bacteria was sensative too and we can try it I'll ask her in the morning.

Thanks for the sympathies ; /
It'll get better though I'm sure, He (the big Man upstairs) never puts more on me than I can handle and as much as I want the meds to help get this out of my system, what ever will be will be I suppose. The big Man upstairs always has my back though so I'm just gonna chill and go with the flow (although I might whin a little here and there lol). But it'll all get better eventually I'm sure.

I'm glad I found this forum and someone to talk to, you're a great listener with a lot of good advise. It's a good thing you do here. Take care, talk to you soon.
I got the results of my sons culture today and it was negative for staph. I guess they can culture the bump without getting any fluid. All she did was rub the swab across the bump which had not drained at all. I asked her about it and she said she didn't have to have any of the fluid it would work without getting the actual fluids. I had a friend tell me about a clinic were they only charge $35 for an office visit. I think if I have anymore problems I am going to go to them. I have 3 and half more days on this tetracycline and hopefully this nausea and the staph will be gone for good. The sore on my leg still hasn't healed but it does look like it's getting better. If it's not gone a week or so after this antibiotic I guess I will go back to the doctor. Guess we'll see.
Sorry I missed this - I've been offline most of this week.  :(

How are you feeling now?

Aj
Hey there. I've not been on the computer either for a couple of days. I finished that last dose of tetracycline on Friday and I called the office and told her that the sore still had not healed and she called in another round. She wanted be to come in and I just told her I didn't have $65 right now so she called it in and said if it wasn't better by the end of this dose I would have to come back in which I agreed to. But looks like I will go in sooner anyway. I got the results of the fasting labs back from the health department in the mail yesterday and my cholestorol was 295 and my triglicerides (triglycerides) were 1720. The health dept tried to call me friday and I didn't see the missed call until after hours so I was just going to call them first thing Tuesday morning after the holiday weekend. Then I got a letter in the mail yesterday (Saturday) with the results and a hand written note from the nurse asking me to call in and get in to see my doctor asap. So looks like there's a little more to deal with here than just MRSA. This is crazy, no insurance and all this stuff coming up at one time. I'm just going to tell them to send me to the hospital for any testing since I don't have insurance that way I can get help with the med-assist.
Take care. Talk to you soon.
Wow - please follow up on this.  I'm sorry you are going through so much right now, and keep us posted.  :(

Aj
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers