STDs Expert Forum
Painless Bumps on Penis - STD? Very Worried!!

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Dear Doctor,

I am worried that I might have an STD I'm hoping you can help me.

I am from the US but have been living in Japan for many years now. My fiance and I have been together for two years now.  She is Japanese, but grew up in Brazil.  When we first met and first started having sex, it was always protected.  Even for oral sex, I wore a condom.  After being together for about six months, we talked about our sexual history.  She said that she had been with a lot of guys before, and has had unprotected sex before.  She told me that she was free of STDs and had been tested a year ago, which was before I met her.  I told her that I had never been tested, but never had any sympotms of an STD and compared to her had very few sexual encounters (only six in my life and no promiscuous behavior).  After this, we started having unprotected sex.  I wasn't even thinking about STDs and she is the only person I have had sex with in the past two years.

About three weeks ago, I noticed a small bump on the shaft of my penis. It was flesh colored (maybe a bit red), didn't hurt at all and was hard to the touch. It looked like a small pimple. Since it didn't hurt, I didn't think much of it and thought it would go away. After a few days, it didn't. It was still there, but again I had no pain, no discharge or anything. But it wouldn't go away.  After about two weeks, I was getting kind of worried. I thought that maybe it was a cyst or bad pimple or something, so I tried to pop it. It was very hard to open and when it finally did nothing came out. It just bled and felt like I cut myself. After the "cut" healed, the bump was still there. Again, no pain, no other symptoms. The bump never changed and it has been there for three weeks now. I started to freak out, so I inspected my genital area further. I found a few more bumps in the pubic hair area that are similar, and another one on the underside of my shaft. I have no idea how long they have been there because they were hard to see. None of them hurt but they all look similar. They are not clusterd and are in different spots.

Does this sounds like an STD? I asked my fiance if she has had sex with anyone else, and she said no and I believe her. We have abstained from sex until we find out what they are, and I will go to the doctor but we live in a rural area which makes it difficult. We have to travel very far to get an STD test. A few days ago I feel like I had a burning/tingling sensation in my penis, but I can't see anything besides the bumps and there are no other symptoms, so I don't know if this is just my imagination or something else. Do I have reason to be worried?

My fiance and I have had no problems until this. Could one of us have an STD in a dormant state, and it just showed up now? I know that herpes can cause no sympotms, so I am nervous that I have it. Does it sound like an STD common in tropical climates like Brazil, where my fiance is from? I am really worried.

Thank you for your time!
Tags: penis, Fiance, STDs
This doesn't sound like any of the important STDs that cause skin lesions, i.e. not herpes or syphilis.  Conceivably you have molluscum contagiosum, which can be transmitted sexually but isn't at all serious.  MC lesions typically are shiny pink and often have a small dimple in the center of the lesion.  MC is completely trivial, no important health risk.  Folliculitis (hair follicle infection) and any number of other, nonsexually transmitted condisions also are possible.

But all this is speculation.  You need to see a health care provider.  In Japan, urologists and dermatologists generally have the greatest STD expertise.  But in the meantime, don't lose a lot of sleep over this; I doubt it is anything serious.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
1 Comment
A related discussion, bump on penis was started.
A related discussion, Little red bumps was started.
A related discussion, im really worried and need a good opinion. was started.
I boyfriend have some bumps at the tip of the penis and around the line around the penis he has the forskin that he have to pull back it doesn't hurt him he also have like three that look red like pink I hope it not herpes I am scared...we was it and he have no pain @ all what could it be
Dear doc I just got this bump on the shaft of my penis.  It's flesh colored and when my penis is erected it turns red and it's just about the size of a pimple.  There is no pain on the bump, it's is hard and it feels like a scab at times.  The last sexual incounter I had was about 4 weeks ago and I was receving oral sex and now 36 hours ago this bump appeared.  I Jack off 1-2 times a day but not everyday.  I'm worried that I have a STD and I have no money to go to the doctors and I'm nervous about going to my mother for help.  My balls sometimes feel sore also.  Do you think I have any kind of STD?  
A related discussion, lil flesh colored bumps was started.