STDs Community
Pap smear and STDs

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Pap smear and STDs

I just read somewhere that Pap smears cannot diagnose STDs such as chlamydia and gonorrhea, is this true? I had a pap smear and was diagnosed with  chalmydia based on the pap smear. So how can this be, if pap smears do not check for STDs? please help im confused
the basic use of a pap test is to look for abnormal cervical cells.  Most pap tests do not do much more than that.  some brands do also test for certain std's like chlamydia and gonorrhea. they will also test for yeast and bacterial infections.  Some even specifically test for hpv. Because we have no idea of knowing what pap test you are having done, we typically make sure that folks aren't relying on them for their std testing. You still also  need to pursue additional std testing too, even if your provider does use a brand of pap test that does test for a few std's.  You aren't completely covering your std bases if you are only getting a pap test done yearly or every few years.   make sense?

grace
I am a teenager and my boyfriend and I have only had sex with each other, and we were both virgins. I went to get on the pill and they told me I tested positive for chlamydia. My boyfriend doesn't have it, and I have NOT had sex with anyone else. Is it possible that my test were wrong, or is there some way I could carry the bacteria and never have had another sexual partner. Help me please.