STDs Community
Pink Shiny Inflammed Rash on Scrotum

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Pink Shiny Inflammed Rash on Scrotum

Within the past week, I noticed a small red patch on my scrotum that originally looked like dry scaly skin. The area where the rash has flared up is underneath where the penile shaft rests on. I became paranoid and put a non scented topical moisturizer on it later that night.  When I woke up, I noticed that the skin was inflamed with a pink shiny tone.  It has now been a week and there are no visible bumps, however when the skin was moisturized I peeled off some of the skin in the area.  I have been putting on hydro cortisone to the area and while it seems to have decreased in size, the pinkness is still there with a scab.  The scab is exactly where I peeled off the skin.  It is not painful and does not itch, but I am worried that maybe it could be herpes.  I was diagnosed with prostatitis and like an idiot did not complete my full dose of medication so the back pain, dysuria and leg pain is still there.  The patch of skin is raised however there are no sign of blisters or sores. the rest of my scrotum itches along with my buttocks and legs.  On my legs I have red marks but they dont seem to be blisters or lesions just simply infected hair follicles.  I also noticed a small bump inside my lip but it doesnt hurt and isnt on the outside of the lip.

Does my rash sound like a herpes outbreak?

If my doctor has already done a rectal exam and diagnosed me with prostatitis is the possible cause herpes?

Herpes wouldn't cause prostatitis, and this isn't sounding like herpes.

What you should do is follow up with your doctor.  I wonder if you just have a fungal infection and the prostatitis.

Aj
Would a fungal infection simply cause a pink shiny rash that could be dry and peeled off?
Yes - peeling skin is a good indication of a fungal infection, but you do need to get it checked out.

Aj