STDs Community
Please help! Tested negative but my partner has symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

First let me provide you the background of my situation. I had sex with a partner a year ago and we stopped seeing each other a few weeks later, but she called me and told me that she tested positive for chlamydia, so I went to see a doctor about treatment. My only symptom was burning/itching during urination. The doctor gave me an antibiotic pill (Azithromycin) to take and said to contact him if there was no change in 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I noticed that the symptom got better, but was still there so he prescribed another antibiotic to take for 7 days twice each day (don't remember what it was) and said if everything cleared up I had nothing to worry about otherwise see him. Well it all cleared up and I didn't have sex with anyone for over a year and half. I got tested a few months ago and it came back negative. Now I am married and I never told my wife about this because I'm too embarrassed by it, but lately she's been getting symptoms of itching almost every month since we've been having sex. She had a partner before me, but always used a condom and never had this issue. My wife went to her gyn and he did some test, but basically he didn't really know what it was and told her to use terconazole gel to get rid of it. It seemed to do the trick for her symptoms, but it almost always comes back so I'm thinking that this might somehow be related with my past infection. Now she went to her gyn again and he told her that it's both a yeast infection and a bacterial infection. He prescribed Metronidazole I believe, but I'm not sure. I can find out exactly what it is tomorrow if that's useful for anyone. I read on here that it could be other bacterial infections which are not tested for and I was wondering if that's something I should go get tested for? We would like to have a child and I'm very scared about these itching symptoms that she is getting. I can't seem to find anyone with enough knowledge about this please help me!
If you have hidden the fact from your wife, you could have atleast told the doctor so that doctor can have clear diagnosis of the patient .. ( its just my opinion ) , as you are planning for the kids, healthy mother is very important.
bv is very common in females as is yeast vaginitis. not unusual for them to come back repeatedly either.  the medication she has currently been prescribed treats bv.  we don't consider bv a std though it is more common in sexually active females than in non-sexually active ones.  often semen changes a woman's ph to allow bacteria and yeast to over grow to cause these infections.

since you had another partner, did you also follow up with syphilis, hiv , herpes and hepatitis testing at the proper times?

your wife will need to continue to follow up as needed with her provider for her symptoms. your guilt is making you think she has a std from the sounds of things.

grace

Yes I got tested for all sti's and it all came out negative. I'm going to another doctor just to get checked out more thoroughly. Maybe the new results will shed some light on things. So this doesn't seem like anything to anyone?