STDs Community
Poor care from my primary physican

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Poor care from my primary physican

This is a long explanation and I apologize for that, but I want you to have all the information you need.  

I am a 45 year old male who had unprotected vaginal sex with a woman at the beginning of June (no one before and no one since) and had no symptoms of any kind for approximately 1 month when I had a sudden increase in urinary frequency, particularly at night waking me up almost every hour on the hour.  At the time, I was not, nor apparently was my doctor, thinking of an STD as the cause, who looked at a urine sample in the office and found my PH to be way off (he also gave me a prostate exam which he deemed normal).  He prescribed me Bactrim DS for 10 days and things went back to normal pretty much immediately.  Fast forward to 6 weeks later when I awoke one morning to my urethra burning and irritated, not just when urinating, but pretty much 24/7.  Went back to the doctor's office and saw a different physician at the facility who assumed I had either chlamydia or gonorrhea and did not test me for STD's for reasons unknown to me but just prescribed me 10 days of doxycyclin telling me it would kill most any bacterial infection (which obviously is not true).  Well 10 days later, I was still no better, and the doctor asked me to give it a few more days before coming back.  At day 14 (10 of antibiotics and 4 more without) I returned to the doctors office and this time was tested for STD's, a very painful swab that made me almost pass out, I also had blood drawn to test for syphilis, though there were never any symptoms or sores of any kind.  At that appointment, I was also given a 400mg dose of Suprax for gonorrhea and awaited my test results.  My urinary tract got better almost immediately, but my testicles then swelled up and became very painful.  My test results came back (2 weeks later) negative for everything (chlamydia, gonorrhea, trich, syphilis, etc.) but painful swollen testicles remained.  My doctor told me she was going to give me empirical treatment for everything, and proceeded to give me a shot of rocephin, 1 gram of azythromiacin, and 2 grams of flagyl.  I got the shot and took the azythromicain within an hour of each other, but was told to wait 24 hours to take the flagyl because I had consumed a couple glasses of wine the night before my appointment, and the alcohol might cause me to throw up the antibiotics.  I took the flagyl the following morning and did not have any alcohol for 7 days (and did not throw up any medicine).  I am approaching 2 weeks later from this last batch of antibiotics, and while things have improved, I am not feeling cured.  Testicle swelling is down, but not gone.  General ache is gone, but If I sit in the wrong position, my left testicle can become very irritated and painful (like a kick in the balls painful) for a few long minutes.  I also have occasional irritation of my urinary tract which appears sporadically but nowhere near as painful as before, and sometimes my penis (shaft and/or head) feels a little sore/achy.  My questions are:
1. Were my STD test results accurate as I had been on antibiotics before taking the test?  If they were not accurate when should I get tested again?
2. If the test results were accurate and the infection is an NGU or NSU, how long should it take for things to get back to normal down there, considering the wrong diagnosis, incorrect antibiotics and length of infection (approx. 4 months now)
3. How long should I wait and see before seeking more care (again, things are improving, but not gone)?  (My primary physician tells me there is nothing else they can do for me at this point and I would need to see a urologist for further treatment)
4. If I do have an NGU, would taking the azythromiacin and flagyl 1 day apart affect the effectiveness of the antibiotics (how important is it for them to be taken at the same time)?
5. Could it be anything else altogether? The random and strange aching soreness in my penis doesn't seem to match any STD symptoms, and while it doesn't happen ofter or isn't terribly painful, it does get my attention and makes me wonder.  

*I welcome any professional advice as soon as possible* Thank you
1. Medication could have affected test, but would have cured a STD and symptoms don't make me think of a STD. See no reason for retesting.
2. Can take up to 2 weeks
3. I would also say a uriologist if not better 2 weeks after medication
4. Not that I am aware of
5. The urge to go made me think prostate