STDs Community
Positive HSV antibodies blood test

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Positive HSV antibodies blood test

If I currently have oral herpes (i've had them for over 10 years already) and I recently received a positive HSV antibody blood test, does that mean that I have genital herpes or is the positive antibody blood test just recognizing the antibodies that my body created from the oral herpes?

This discussion is related to Levels of antibodies in herpes test.
It could be either of those scenarios.

You need to find out what type of test it was, and what the exact results said.  You should have gotten a type specific IgG blood test.  If you only have one result on it, its a combination test, and it won't tell you anything you don't already know.

When you get your results, I can help you sort it out, or you can post in the herpes forum, and they can too.

Aj