STDs Community
Positive HSV antibodies blood test

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Positive HSV antibodies blood test

If I currently have oral herpes (i've had them for over 10 years already) and I recently received a positive HSV antibody blood test, does that mean that I have genital herpes or is the positive antibody blood test just recognizing the antibodies that my body created from the oral herpes?

This discussion is related to Levels of antibodies in herpes test.
It could be either of those scenarios.

You need to find out what type of test it was, and what the exact results said.  You should have gotten a type specific IgG blood test.  If you only have one result on it, its a combination test, and it won't tell you anything you don't already know.

When you get your results, I can help you sort it out, or you can post in the herpes forum, and they can too.

Aj