STDs Expert Forum
Possible HPV/Genital Warts?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Possible HPV/Genital Warts?

I have had a mole-like spot on the left side of my shaft for quite a while. Not sure when I first noticed it, but I know that it's been there for the better part of a year. It could have been there for much longer, but I never really inspected my penis for abnormalities in the past. I also have noticed a similar brown spot on the base of my shaft. Again, it could have been there for quite a while, but I never really paid attention to it. They certainly don't have a fleshy or cauliflower-like appearance, but nonetheless, any spots in this area of my body are cause for concern. In addition to these two larger brown spots, I have noticed several smaller brown spots near the base of my penis and a couple on my scrotum. In fact, they are indetectable unless you sift through the pubic hair.

I am a 25 year-old male and have only had two sexual partners. I am engaged and have been with the same woman for more than two years, with no cheating. My fiance has been tested for STDs and nothing was detected.

1.  Could this just by normal skin abnormalities, or should I be concerned about HPV?

2.  Is it possible that I could have contracted HPV from oral sex?

3.  If it is HPV and I get treated, is there still a strong possibility that I could pass this on to my partner?

Thank you for your help.

I'll go straight to your questions.

1) As you know, I cannot make any particular diagnosis (or absolutely rule out any particular condition) by online description.  But this sounds like a mole or some other condition other than a genital wart.

2) HPV is not believed to be acquired by oral sex, but this hasn't been well studied.

3) You're getting ahead of yourself.  Find out if it's a wart before you worry about how long you might be infectious. The durationg of infectivity after warts resolve is not certain. Probably a few weeks to a few months, in most cases.

Do not try to come up with any sort of firm diagnosis by online description.  See a health care provider.

Good luck--  HHH, MD