STDs Expert Forum
Possible Herpes with no antibodies
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Possible Herpes with no antibodies

I have been suffuring for over two years with symptoms that sound similar to HSV2. The symptoms will start with a dull pain in the area around my tail bone which will last for about a day or two. Sometimes my anus will also itch like crazy. Then I will get the pains in my lower back and buttocks which eventually go down through my legs. Sometimes it will be that pins and needles feeling. Then I will get this itchy/burning/stinging feeling in my pubic hair area most of the time in the exact same spot.Sometimes it feels like a bug is crawling around down there. Then I will get these small red bumps that look like pimples (usually around 5 or 6 at a time). The bumps will go away in a few days and then the whole cycle starts over again with rarely any break in between.

I have had two HerpesSelect tests done and both were negative for both types. I have also had two Western blots done. They were both negative for Type 2 and atypical reactivity for type 1.

I then went to a dermatologist who looked at the bumps and said they did not look like HSV but wasn't sure what it was. He perscribed me Clindamycin Phosphate topical gel and Desonide lotion. After a few days of applying the Clindamycin the condition got extremely worse. I would usually get 5 or 6 bumps but when using the gel I would get around 20. I stopped using that and started the Desonide. This seemed to clear the bumps up but made the pain in my tailbone more severe. I have stopped using both but the pains and the bumps keep coming back.

So if this is not herpes then what could it be? Maybe a recurring yeast infection? (Can guys get those?) Is it possible that I have herpes and just don't have the anitbodies the tests are looking for? I just need some help on the next step to try to figure out what is going on.