STDs Expert Forum
Possible std infection from oral sex

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Possible std infection from oral sex

Hi Doctor,

First off, let me say thanks for providing a great resource for people to use!

My question that I am struggling with right now is this. I had an encounter with a woman 2.5 days ago while on a business trip. She was 44 and I am 38. We deep kissed for a while with tongue and bit each other's lips  (I actually have a couple of cuts from it). She gave me oral sex for approx 1 minute and she did this twice. She was very forcefull and was rough with my penis. I have a foreskin and I am wondering if I should be worried about getting an std and giving it to my partner who is unaware of this encounter. This was a very stupid mistake on my part and I do not want to repeat it again or give my partner anything.

I am wondering if I need to go get tested. I have not had any symptoms in my penis, although I have had slight cramps in my abdomin (abdomen), but I am very worried because my partner wants to have sex tonight and we never use condoms.

If you could please advise if I am ok, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

Concerns about oral sex and its risks are among the most common on this forum.  In general, oral sex is safe sex.  While the risk isn't zero, fellatio is far safer than unprotected vaginal or anal sex, especially for the penile partner; there is slightly higher risk for the oral partner.  More specifically, there is essentially zero risk for HIV and chlamydia, little risk for HPV or HSV-2, and slightly higher but still low risks for gonorrhea, HSV-1, syphilis, and nongonococcal urethritis (NGU).  We don't recommend STD testing after a single oral sex encounter, except in unusually high risk situations, such as knowing the partner has an active STD.

As for your particular situation, the risk seems even lower than most.  In particular, the overall frequency of active STDs is low in women over 30, and especially low beyond age 40 -- so the chance your partner had an STD was low, and the chance she had an oral STD even lower.  The vigor of the encounter makes no known difference in STD risk.

For those reasons, you really should not be worried.  While nobody can guarantee any particular encounter carried no risk at all, if I somehow found myself in your circumstances, I would continue unprotected sex with my wife without fear of infecting her with anything.

I hope this has helped.  Best wishes--   HHH, MD
Thanks Doc! You guys are great!
Thanks for the thanks.  I'm glad to have helped.
H Dic,

it has been 7 days and I am feeling slight burning in my penis tip but no discharge am I obsessing?
Whenever someone suspects his or her own symptoms have a psychological origin ("Am I obsessing?"), usually s/he is correct.  And the main symptoms of STDs in this situation are discharge from the penis and penile sores, rarely irritation or "burning" without other symptoms.  
It almost feels like it sort of stems from my anus and it feels like I have some urine left in my penis. Could this be indicitive of an std?
These are classical symptoms of genitally focused anxiety, not of any STD.  If they persist, you could visit your doctor, or preferably an STD specialist (e.g., your local health department or Planned Parenthood) for examination and testing.  If you do, I predict nothing abnormal will be found -- but it could be worth it for the reassurance.
Thanks doc,

People like me must drive you crazy eh? I did go to the health authority and the nurse looked at me and did not see anything abnormal. She took a urine sample for Chlamydia and gonorrhea, but she feels like you do.

thanks again!
Thanks for the follow-up.  You can definitely expect negative test results.
Hi Doc,

I keep reading about Mycoplasm Genitalium. I don' think I am getting tested for that. Should I be? I am worried from what I am reading about it.

Thanks,
M. genitalium is not believed to be transmitted by oral sex, and it also is not a plausible explanation for your symptoms.  I would not recommend testing.

That will have to end this thread.  Do your best to move on without worry about any STD.
Hey Doc,

I thought I would let you know that my results for chlam and gonorrhea came back negative! I am good to go now right?

I just wanted to say thanks again for your help!