Primary Syphilis Question
Hello, I'm new to this website and my question concerns the primary stage of syphilis.

Here is the "basic description", repeated over and over that I have been able to find, goes like this: "...usually solitary, raised, firm, red papules that can be several centimeters in diameter. The chancre erodes to create an ulcerative crater within the papule, with slightly elevated edges around the central ulcer (see the images below). It usually heals within 4-8 weeks, with or without therapy."

I feel as if I keep seeing terms such as, "sore", "nodule", "chancre", "papule", "blister" "ulcer", etc. used when describing the primary syphilis stage and was hoping you might be able to tell me which is the correct description (as I've been finding that these terms are not synonymous... when I look for definitions they often describe a completely different type of lesion).

Could you please (try to...) give a more detailed description of the what a lesion (i.e. located on the head of the penis) caused by syphilis looks like?  Or, help clarify by answering my questions below?

1.)  By "ulcer", this means that it looks like a crater?
2.)  Does a primary syphilis lesion always (or most of the time) appear as a crater/indurated (elevated rim, depressed central area) sore?
3.)  Is there fluid in the chancre?
4.)  Is there a distinct difference between the way a lesion caused by balanitis would appear vs. primary syphilis?  5.) Are there any resources available that have fairly accurate/typical images of primary syphilis (the ones I've been able to find appear exaggerated or depicting only the largest and most defined chancres.. of course, for all I know that's what it always looks like)

I hope the specific questions aren't a problem I just wanted to get a more specific answer to "What does primary syphilis look like?"

Thank you so much for you time.

J.D.
do you have symptoms?

grace
I've been tested, it was negative.  But the information I found before going to get tested was confusing (as described in my question).  So I was hoping someone could help clear up the confusion (for me, and anybody else searching for answers out there).

My symptom was a bump, painless, went away after about 5 or 6 weeks.  As the bump settled down the area turned red (very noticeable, like a red spot on the head of my penis).  But it was never a crater (raised edges, indented middle section), it was just red and the skin healed (meaning became  shiny like new skin after a scab falls off... but in my case there was never any scab).  

You can see how this was confusing, and hopefully why I am asking the questions I have above.

Thanks.
if you were tested at least 6 weeks post encounter, no reason to doubt your results.

at this point, unless your bump reoccurs, not a whole lot more you can do.