STDs Expert Forum
Probability of STD

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Probability of STD

Hello Doctors,

Two weeks ago I gave into the temptation and had sex with a CSW in North America. We exchanged light french kisses, I had received and gave unprotected oral sex to the CSW for several minutes, as well as protected vaginal sex. I also "fingered" her vagina for several minutes. I did not notice any cold sore on her lips or vagina. My condom did not break during the protected vaginal sex.

I am now regretting my decision and just hope to put this in the past. I am currently in a relationship and I do not practice safe sex with my partner (we are both the first sexual partners for each other). I have not had sex with my significant other since the incident.

My question is, it's been a little over 2 weeks now since the incident and I have not noticed any unusual with my body. I know many STD can be asymptotic, but is it safe to assume that I am in the clear? I do realize there's always a theoretical risks in STD transmission, but I just want your expert knowledge in this matter and carry on with life.

Ultimately, I want to know whether or not I can resume unprotected sex with my partner.

Thank you.
Welcome to the forum.

You don't say enough about the sex worker for me to judge the likelihood she had a transmissible STD.  The risk probably is quite a bit lower for escorts (expensive CSWs by appointment) versus brothel workers, bar pick-ups, etc.  However, even if she were infected, it sounds like you had very safe sex.  Condom-protected vaginal sex is low risk and STDs are rarely if ever transmitted by kissing or fingering.  Cunnilingus (oral-vaginal) contact is also very low risk for most STDs and zero risk for many of them.  Finally, while it is true that many infections can be asymptomatic, the lack of symptoms by 2 weeks is also reassuring.

While I cannot guarantee you aren't infected with something, if I were in your situation, and with my understanding of the issues, I would continue unprotected sex with my wife with no concern about infecting her.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you for your response doctor.

I should've mentioned that the CSW was an escort booked through appointment. I understand this type of CSW usually takes care of themselves pretty well, and your answer is reassuring.

I will still get tested to confirm my sexual health status, but for now I will get my life back on track and not dwell on the issue.

Thanks again!
You're welcome.  Glad to have helped.