STDs Community
Prostatitis = STD?

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Prostatitis = STD?

13 days ago I had unprotected vaginal sex with a female.  I have no idea whether or not she has an STD.  2 days after that I went to the Dr. because I was scared about STD's.  At that time I was given a shot and antibiotics for Chlamydia and Gonorhea as a precautionary matter.  I did not show any signs of an STD.  Since then I have developed Prostatitis.  In the past I have had Epidimitis, so I wasn't really concerned about the Prosatitis.  I went to my Primary Care Physician to get this diagnosed and he put me on a 2 week dose of Levaquin.  He took a urine sample at that time, but was not looking for STD's specifically.  He said he noticed a little bacteria in the urine.  My question is...I have read that Prostatitis can be a sign of an STD. What STD's could this be a sign of?  Does this sound like the case here?  I haven't had any burning when I pee or lesions around the penis.  I have had diarrhea for almost 2 weeks now (possibly the antibiotics?) and some general feelings of not feeling well the past 2 or 3 mornings which goes away as soon as I get up (possibly the infection?)
It is possible that a STD could cause it, but also other things can cause it. You have been treated for STD's so I would probably rule out a STD as the cause.
What are your symptoms?  Most likely the diarrhea is from the antibiotics.  You should probably look into taking some probiotics to restore the flora that has been decimated by the antibiotics.  Remember the antibiotics kill most bacteria, good and bad and without the good you can get intestinal issues, thus the diarrhea.  Yes, prostatitis can be caused by sexually transmitted bacteria that is not necessarily chlamydia or gonorrhea (perhaps E. Coli or NGU or many others).  To be honest, hopefully your prostatitis was caused by a bacterial infection (acute prostatitis) since that is the easiest to treat (you're doing it now with the floroquinolone antibiotic aka Levaquin).  If it isn't acute and continues on to be chronic (lasting more than 3 months) then that's where things get difficult (as I can attest).  Good luck!