STDs Community
Prostatitis ...STD?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Prostatitis ...STD?

I just got diagnosed with Prostatitis. I've had increased frequency for the last few months, the doc didn't find any bacteria in the urine. There is no pain/burning during ejaculation or urination. The doc inserted a scope into my urethra and was able to see an inflamed prostrate. I was too dazed after the procedure to even walk out.. but I'm wondering if my symptoms are being caused by an STD , or is it something else. I will be going back to the doc - if anyone can suggest some specific questions to ask, will be deeply appreciated.

distressed
stridrs
OUCH! was that painful? im so sorry to hear that. NO its just prostatitis. how old r u? prostatitis is just an inflamation (inflammation) of the prostate which just causes discomfort ,nothing else.  the type of prostatitis that causes infertility is acute bacterial which is a hell of a disease very painful, u have non bacterial. which will eventually go away with time. u had a urine exam which ruled out stds

Thanks so much for writing - it makes a huge difference to get even one bit of info. It definitely was painful - I don't know how I lasted for those 5 minutes. Urinating after that wasn't easy either. I went to the doc today. He doesn't think it's bacterial either - still didn't find anything in the urine. As for STD's he said he would've seen real symptoms...he didn't think it was chlamydia either. I'm doing a dose of Bactrim - that should make a difference hopefully. When you say "eventually go away with time" - how long do you have in mind?
I'm getting more and more reassured that this is no STD, which is a huge relief. Hoping for good results soon

thanks again for your time
stridrs

forgot to add - I'm 33...
believe me if it were an std they would of found it in your urine by now. Yes prostatitis becomes a problem at age 45 and over, u developed prostatitis because of an std u had perhaps. The prostate is inflammated but it will eventually with time go back to normal, there is no cure for it, u just have to wait till it goes away, itll take about 6 months. Some people have chronic bacterial prostatitis which lasts for long periods of time but u know those people have bacterial. Non bacterial is more common and it just goes away by itself. urination wasa problem due to the scope, u should have asked for an ultrasound. Take saw palmetto and that might help a bit with symptoms, drink plenty of water and dont stress over this. u Will be over this in about 6 months. U had nothing in your urine so its not bacterial just be patient. If u have any other questions go ahead and ask, i hope i can answer your doubts
thanks again jedispider.
I'm actually feeling quite better since i started taking bactrim. a little concerned about your comment above " u developed prostatitis because of an std u had perhaps" - my doc had done a blood test a while back and everything came back normal. i also had an HIV test which came back negative. I'll be out of town for a while, but when I come back I'm thinking of going to my PCP and asking for a comprehensive blood test for STD's. I really haven't had any other symptoms that look like an STD....so I'm concerned about what else I have that I don't know about.

thanks again for your time
stridrs
I've gone through the exact same thing; terrible ordeal.  No worries though; it's no STD.  I've been using ProstaQ now for over a year and if I ever have symptoms (which is rare), they're barely noticeable.
And I'm 29, got it when I was 27.  I get emails from all over the world from men who suffer from this and I am glad to help as I know first hand all too well what you're going through.  And again, non-bacterial prostatitis is NOT related to an STD.  That was my first concern as well when I was diagnosed.  I've posted my entire ordeal on Prostatitis.org.
yes it is related, it is caused by an std like ghonorrea and syphillis (syphilis), but the point is it goes away with time. Prostatitis doesnt happen by itself when your in your late 20s or even 30s it starts at the age where ur in change of life, like 45 and above. If u have prostatitis at an age before that its because it was caused by a sexually transmitted infection.
Hi Jedispider. I just got back from a vacation, couldn't check this space while I was out. just to clarify on your last comment - so you think it could be syphillis (syphilis) (etc) - but in my case...since there's no bacteria in the urine..does that rule it out? Now that I'm back, I', going to go and get a full scan done for all kinds of STD's..just to be sure.
NPK - thanks for your comments.
also

doc and i checked - nothing unusual - bumps/rash etc on the genital area....
Hi again
I got an extensive STD panel done. They tested me for HIV, RPR, Chlam, GC, Herpes I and II, Hep B Surface ANtigen. Everything's come out negative. BTW-  i had an HIV test done earlier, almost 4-5 months ago - it had turned out negative then. So looks like I can rule out an STD??
Also, I recall when the first signs of trouble started. I was driving down - when I had two nerves near in the pelvic area (they seem to be connected to the testicles) started "pulling". Then followed some palpitation in the testicles. There was a dull pain...but then it went away. I recall it was a few weeks after this that I started going to the rest room more often. I wonder if this might throw some light on the matter...any thing would be deeply appreciated.
thanks
Just curious....have you been checked for a hernia?
I see that you are having some "pulling" sensation in the genital area. The urologist would or should have checked for a hernia as well. Besides that, you may hav just pulled a muscle in that area.
BTW....are you having hip and/or lower back pain associated with this situation?
thanks for the reply brian. Hernia did come to mind., but I thought it would have been wa y more painful than this. i'm infact playing tennis quite regularly without any pain anywhere...but I guess that doesn't mean much.
don't remember about a hip pain...but i've had a sore back for quite some time. i blame that on my bed - it sags in the middle and doesn't provide adequate support..so i've had a sore back (as opposed to a pain - which I imagine would be deeper than a sore back) for quite some time (well before this happened). Will be going to doc again in sometime...any feedback is always very deeply appreciated. i think i can safely rule out an std's......any thoughts?
thanks
s
Hey stridrs, just happened upon this site and figured i'd add my story. i'm 34 and have had lower back(sacrum) problems for about the last 6 years. i sit about 15 -18 hours a day for work. for about the last 2 or 3 years i've started having an inflamed prostate, just a little sore after sitting a lot. it comes and goes, nothing serious, just a bit uncomfortable at times. about 2 weeks ago it got worse than it's ever been. just feels swollen. no pain after urination or ejaculation. i went to the family doc after the first couple days of symptoms. he told me i have herpes. i knew i didn't but i went ahead and took the std tests and they all came back negative. before thanksgiving i was on an antibiotic for a tooth infection for 2 weeks which killed off all the good bacteria in your body. i then had an overdose of sugar, beer etc during thanksgiving and thus had an overdose of yeast in my body which can cause prostatitis. i was not taking any pro-biotic during my anti-biotics either(i just forgot). anyway, between the yeast and my sacrum going out all the time i am getting prostatitis that comes and goes. the antibiotics for non bacterial prostatitis are only for inflamation (inflammation). i've found that an increased dosage of saw palmetto and turmeric during inflamation (inflammation) helps a lot. drink lots of water and cranberry juice as well helps. anyway, hope this helps ease your stress a little. it is very common in guys our age and can come from many things.
Hey guys, I'm in the same boat as you.  I'm in my late 20s and suffer from prostatitis.  You can search for my story on the threads if you'd like.  Although this is not a serious disease, the unfortunate part about is that doctors in the U.S. do not know how to treat it.  Eventually, when all else fails (anitibiotics), they just tell us we have to live with it.  I've been on many medications including Trimethoprim, Flagyl, and Cipro, none of which did anything for my "non-bacterial prostatitis."  Also, just because they couldn't culture a bacteria doesn't mean you have non-bacterial prostatitis...it just means they didn't find the bacteria.  This is an unfortunate condition that i've been dealing with. Mine could have been caused by an STD, although after my treatment, i've continuously tested negative for all STDs.  Keep in touch with me on these forums.  My symptoms have gone and come.  I was asymptomatic for a month and a half, and all symptoms came back full force.
Hi tommy and devinlooks
thanks for your comments. tommy - I agree with you - i don't think my doc has any idea what to do. the negative test for STD sounds encouraging..I would have hoped that it rules out any STD's were  ever present ..I'll go check with the doc (not sure what good that will do). i'm going to go about searching for docs..let's see if i find someone who can figure what;s going on here.
thanks guys and keep in touch
best
s
so i guess the q still remains....do I have an STD or not? any thoughts folks?

s
I have pretty much the same symptoms. It started about three months ago. I started to urinate allot more. I had some tingling in my penis. I went to the doc and they gave me doxyclicine and swaped my penis and did a urine test. Both came back negative, so they checked my prostate and gave me septra ds. Took that for 20 days with little change in symptoms. Went back to doc and they did some more lab work. Checked my blood and urine this time. Everything came back clean again. Now it seems the head of my penis is red, but I don have any discharge or anything. I am still urinating allot more. I am going to see the urologist finally. Had to wait for the doc to give up and refer me. I am starting to think I have non bacterial prostatisis. Is it safe to have sex still? Or is it passable to someone else?

Rb
no its not an std, its not passable. You will only have symptoms for about 1 day every month and it will decrease gradually.
hi
good to have u back here. your last comment - would it apply to my case as well? If you refer to the comments you had earlier..you had mentioned the possibility that this could be an STD. GIven the recent results of my test..I think I can safely cross that out. Just wanted your opinion. My symptoms are a lot better now. It bothers me much less..but it's still there. Hopefully it will just go away with time. Docs still clueless.
thanks
s
dont let prostatitis discourage u, yes prosta q helps ALOT!! people who r taking it have almost no symptoms and when they do its barely noticable. Take this medicine, and best of all u can get it online at amazon, for like 37 bucks. Well theres always some slight hope there to help us and here it is, prosta q! buy it online or anywhere hehe. Thanks for the advice tommy420 its good to know that not everyone is alone out there.
it is caused by an std its not an std, after they have cured chlamydida or ghonorrea the remaining bacteria goes into the prostate and thats wat causes chronic bacterial prostatitits, if uve had n std like ghonorea (Gonorrhea) or chlamydia in the past and u have the symptoms of it even though uve been cured after like 4 months later then u have chronic bacterial prostatitis, its not the same though, the symptoms arent that bad well like as chlam or ghonorrea, guys its pain were human, were men. Lets not chicken out we can live with this and well we dont have to just quit being lazy and buy prosta q. I admire that we prefer to live with pain then to take the simple way out, or we are lazy bastards.
ty again. im def going for the prosta q..no harm in checking it out. but from what your'e saying, i think i can safely rule out the STD bit...they've never found any bacteria in the urine tests, and i also had an extensive blood test...found nothing. i would've thought that even if the disease is cured..it would've left some clues....which the tests would have picked up. bottom line...i don't know what caused it. thanks for the tip on the prosta q..i'll give it a shot.
np ty to, ur opinions help alot. The reason they cant find the bacteria is because it isnt in your urine but in the prostate, they need to test your semen, and if they find anything usually a bacteria that ends with occal, which is a parasite they will give u about 4 weeks worth of bactrim
that should cure chronic bacterial prostatitis
Hi Stridrs,

can u please tell me the symptoms for prostatitis. I have some strange feelings in my genital area and not only. Doctors have recommended I see psichiatrist at this point and I simply can't believe that these symptoms can be only created by my stress.  Thank you for your time.
hi guys
went to the doc again. he's ruled out any STD's..and i'm going to go with that. spd - the symptoms i have are painless...all ive had is increased frequency at night and sometimes in the morning as well.. this was about 6 months ago..it's more or less gone now. ive no pain during ejaculation or urination etc. what r ur symptoms?
yeap their painless just frequent urination, wat caused that was that the bacteria in the urethrao went down to your prostate, the antibiotic killed the bacteria that caused harm but didnt kill the one that caused the inflamed prostate. The bottom line is if you had an std months before your prostatitis symptoms then you can be certain that you have chronic bacterial prostatitis and not non bacterial prostatitis. You have to go with your doc when u have the symptoms, thats when they have to diagnose the semen culture. Bactrim kills it if you take it for about  a month or 3weeks. Ive heard on other sites that it is not curable however the urologist here says it is. Its not that big of a deal though its just an inflammation. my symptoms are the same as yours though but only happen once a month or depending on what i eat for a week ina  month. When their are prostatitis symptoms the urine turns alkaline which is when the ph is over 8, there for that causes the increased frequency. U have to eat fatty foods, eat 3 omega 3s a day and peanut butte sandwich snack. The fat in those foods are healthy that will help ease frequent urination.
dude
thanks so much for your patience   -  i def appreciate it. basically - u're saying I should get a semen test done to see if there's any bacteria still there? THe blood tests and the urine tests did not reveal anything...but I guess what you're saying is, I can't be certain till I get the semen tested to be  absolutely sure? Or will nothing show up now..cos I've had bactrim for some time now? Wonder why my urologist never thought of doing the semen culture.thanks
s
u dont need it its a waste of money, itll go away on its own u just need time. Its kinda hard but its life, why would u wna be diagnosed with something you already know u have and that is completely benign it wont kill u nor make u sterile. Its just an inflammation, ah and most readers or people new to prostatitis believe that it will make them sterile but it wont, thats the acute bacterial prostatitis which is painful. Were on the ok side though. Man i need my ps3 back stupid thing overheated.
Dear Forum members,

I am a 26 year old heterosexual male, graduate student, in other wise perfect health, who was diagnosed with a possible idiopathic case of prostadynia/prostatitis in August of 2007. My symptoms began gradually over three months as chronic straining while urinating, and a weird sensation of straining while working out on the treadmill. The symptoms were transient and never debilitating, and that is why I didn't think much of it or seek professional help.  The symptoms progressed to the point where I had severe back pain. Now here is the enigmatic part of my story: On August 8th 2007, I visited an eminent urologist recommended by my father who is also a physician. After performing a series of urological tests, the urologist was baffled because I had minor urine retention after PVR and Ultrasound, urgency, frequency, etc, but my prostate was perfectly normal and not inflammed at all! Prostate inflammation did not seem to be causing my symptomology. Three urinalysis tests were completely normal, too. He and his resident shook their heads incredulously. How could a young man with seemingly severe signs of acute bacterial prostatitis demonstrate absolutely no sign of acute inflammation at all! The first line of treatment was a potent antibiotic that supposedly permeates the prostatic tissue. I had cipro, penicilin, levaquin, bactrim: all were ineffectual in treatment. During my followup visit a month later, my doctor said "I am not sure if you have prostatitis," and told me the symptoms would eventually go away, but he was kind enough to suspect that it was a uric acid disorder. I had my father conduct a blood test to confirm that my blood PH level was high, and it was not, it was normal! My father's own DRE was perfectly normal as well, but I noticed a very strange sensation of relief after having the DRE which lasted throught the day (I will explain later) It was during my third visit that my doctor told me to live with my symptoms. Most of us would agree that is unacceptable given the severe, debilitating, and often unrelenting symptoms that are damaging our very quality of life.  

Therefore, I propose the following question for us to cogitate on: What if extra-prostatic etiologies are responsible for some cases of prostatitis deemed to be non-bacterial? The symptoms of some cases of prostatitis are non-specific, and could originate from other pathological areas within the genitoruinary tract that may have nothing to do with the prostate itself. I even had an MRI of my lower back which was completely normal as well! Strange...

Prior to the onset of these symptoms, I ate right, exercised, have never smoked, and have never consumed alcohol, and was monogamous as was my girlfriend. No diabetes, HPB, cholesterol perfect, no kidney problems. A theory that greatly dispels the bacterial/microbiological cause for my symptoms (in my case) is that I didn't have sex other than masturbation when these symptoms began to appear! I was away from my girlfriend for several months studying to finish my Spring 06 semester! I have a feeling that my case is caused by pelvic floor myalgia (my father's initial theory), and I recommend that many men with these types of symptoms get a comprehensive review of their pelvic floor muscles as well as an ultrasound of the prostate, bladder and urethra to detect any inflammation that may not be ascertained by DRE alone.

Please keep in mind that many other pathological conditions in the genitourinary tract can either cause or contribute to prostatits like symptoms (urethral strictures, functional voiding disorders, pelvic floor myalgia, tumors, BPH, cancer etc).

My dear friends, you must all learn to listen to your bodies and try to discover what may have contributed to the onset of your prostatitis-esque symptoms. Don't let anyone tell you that this is solely psychosomatic disorder or idiopathic. I am sure that many of you get the subtle feeling that if a disease is presumed to be caused by a high risk sexual encounter, that doctors may not be as willing to help you? Think for a moment about some of the assumptions we make about AIDS patients? Their may be a similar reaction here.

At any rate, for some men chronically tensing the pelvic floor muscles can either cause or exacerbate a preexisting condition in the pelvic floor. With some solid detective work, a possible etiology(ies) may be revealed, and you may be cured or greatly improved. You see, we must act as educated patients to facilitate our own treatment and collaborate with our doctors to the best of our abilities.

The assumption that all cases of prostatits and prostatits like symptoms are caused by a refractory organism(s) hiding in the prostate gland is a weak one, as it is a weak assumption to assume that if a man is young and has prostatitis it must be caused by an infectious organism. Unfortunately, since the doctors themselves are unsure as to the exact aetiology(ies) of this seemingly enigmatic disease, tests like semen analysis may reveal inflammation or an excess of white blood cells, but no bacteria, viruses, etc. I admit, most urinalysis tests are only cursory at best...

Inflammation need not be caused by a refractory microorganism(s). In defense of some urologists who are reluctant to conduct semen analysis, it may be that even if they do find white blood cells, they may not be able to definitively identify the organism(s) that are causing your symptoms. In some cases, even finding the bacteria and eliminating them does not guarantee a cessation of symptoms. I doubt any permanent damage has been done to myself or others experiencing this, but there is definitely an insidious processing going on in our pelvic floor.

Neurogenic inflammation could be a major etiological cause of prostatitis, especially in the nerve fibers and muscles either within adjacent to the prostate. Chronically irriated muscles in the prostate region can cause the same symptoms that are attributed to the prostate gland itself, and because we are urinating, defecating, and in some cases are instructed to increase the frequency of sex with prostatitis, these muscles have little chance to heal.

Finally, this disease has made me smarter and more perceptive in the sense that I am very keen on noticing things.

In November 30th 2007, I visited a physical therapist who confirmed that I do indeed have very weak pelvic floor muscles (1+ out of 5) on the Oxford Scale. There is much evidence from a variety of highly credible sources that corroborates that pelvic floor muscle strain is a possible cause of prostatitis like symptoms.

As mentioned above, I noticed that during DREs and several pelvic massages from my physical therapist, I experienced completely albiet temporary relief...

It is very likely that those months of muscle strain chronically caused severe hypertonicity in my pelvic floor muscles, which in August 2007 hit the critical point.

I apologize for the verbose posting, but it was hard for me to succinctly state this. Hopefully some of this information will be useful to some if not most of you.

God bless everyone and good luck. Let's stick together, boys! We will get better, but we need to help each other. If anything, this disease has made me more compassionate, philosophical and understanding towards others with seemingly intractable diseases.

You can e-mail me at ***@**** to discuss any issues you may have.

Ev
centurion725
I neglected to mention that the physical therapist's massages did not even approach the prostate region and I experienced complete relief. So, please try and push for comprehensive testing of your entire pelvic floor musculature and organs. I still experience chronic pain that waxes and wanes, but at least I am making some headway as to the origins of my CPPS.  

Best,
Ev
centurion725
you should write a book about your symptoms, dont worry about your symptoms their benign just live with em
my intention is not to "write a book" but to try to help shed some insight into possible solutions for forum members' symptoms. These symptoms could be benign, but it is really hard to absolutely say that when the nature of this syndrome isn't fully understood.
the only thing itll cause is extreme anxiety because people keep thinking its a hazardous problem, its only hazrdous when its acute as caused by cancer, if its bacterial or nonbacterial it is just an inflammation, the only thing your doing is making people waste their time reading from u and not feeling better.Your intentions may be good but u just cant worry about an inflammation.
I agree there is a large psychosomatic element here which does contribute to an increase in symptoms. Anxiety does exacerbate the symptoms. I apologize if it seemed as though my tone indicated that. There are elements of my posting that contain valuable information that some may not be aware of, so something can be gained from reading it. The last thing we all need is more anxiety that's for sure.  How is your own condition at present?

Sincerely,
centurion725
i apologize to, i took the liberty of reading where i left off from what u wrote and well it sounds accurate, u made it too dramatic XD, but well thats what people get for screwing around. My symptoms are similar except i can last about 1 month symptoms free, it depends what i eat, if i eat alot no symptoms at all, if i dont eat as much symptoms kick in for a while and then go away except for slight increased urination at night, but When i eat everything they rarely show, like for a day usually at the night it starts to feel uncomfortable, but it goes away after an hour and next morning no symptoms. Now what i found out was that the urines PH goes up to 8 and that means its alkaline when symptoms are present, when their not its usually about a 4-5 or even 6, the key factor to make your ph lower would be citrus fruits, everyone thinks itll make it worse but it wont, it will actually make it better, acidic is ph of 3 or 2 alkaline is 8+ CITRus fruits are good for u, and healthy fats, omega 3s fish oil have helped out to, that would explain why i dont have the symptoms now, basically healthy fats and citrus fruits worked good for me so far. How r your symptoms? keep posting and dont let that discourage u :D
Hi, it seems as though diet is a great factor when your symptoms are present. I didn't mean to sound dramatic, my apologies again. I know you are probably scared as I am.

A book I recommend for you to read is Dr. Robert O. Young's "The PH Miracle" which should give you a thorough list of what foods to eat and their relative effect on your PH level. The idea is to starve out the bacteria naturally and allow your body to heal.  This is an invaluable book and it may help you tremendously. Whether my urine was acidic or alkaline, the symptoms still persist, and diet doesn't seem to abate symptoms either. The pain is chronic and often debilitating, but I am learning to live with it like everyone else. Pressing into my lower left abdomen (a very tender area) recreates the exact same symptoms I am experiencing, urgency, frequency, back and leg pain, so there is something going on in that area. I haven't had an MRI of that area, so I hope it will reveal something that is reversable. I will always be positive and keep on fighting. Take care of yourself.

Best,
centurion725.
Hello, I neglected to provide you with a link to amazon.com to purchase whilte writing in haste in my last message Dr. Young's book:

http://www.amazon.com/pH-Miracle-Balance-Reclaim-Health/dp/B00008RWCE/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200510067&sr=8-1

Yes, normally, one's PH level should be mildly acidic during the first morning void, but PH varies throught the day. Bayer sells a container of Urinalysis test strips which you could use for testing urine PH, but there are cheaper alternatives on the market, too.

I recommend buying Dr. Young's book used from one of the third party sellers, as it is economical.

Dr. Young's basic premise is that prostatits is caused by an excess of mycotoxins in the blood stream, which if allowed to continue, creates a hospitable enviroment for the proliferation of bacteria and other malignant microorganisms he defines as mycotoxins. He attribues general ill health to an excess of these mycotoxic entities. Young effectively argues that diets high in meat, sugar and breads are great factors which contribube to this type of enviroment.

Unfortunately, Dr. Young only mentions prostatitis on one page and in one sentence and fails to expound upon the conditon any further and its relationship to mycotoxins. In summation, Young seems to be a proponent of a strictly Vegan diet. Cooking your foods is detrimental because it kills the beneficial elements of them. As you know, adopting a vegan diet is VERY difficult and requires much discipline and patience. A few valuable tips from Young's book include drinking distilled water and avoiding pasturized milk and purchasing fruits and vegetables (organic) fresh and using them only on the day of purchase. According to Young, keeping fruits refrigerated for several days and not using them on the day of purchase further causes this mycotoxic breakdown.

My case seems to be related to pelvic floor tension myalgia; however, I recently came across an article dated to 1985 which states that a defective adductor muscle can cause a condition called "adductor longus tendonitis" which mimics prostatitis like symptoms, and this seems to be the location of my symptoms. If you are interested, I will let you know the results of the MRI.

Take care,
Best
centurion725
The vegan diet isnt quite balanced, it may help with prostatitis but your other body functions might go berserk, i eat healthy all the time, white lean chicken breasts,fish, i dont drink milk ne more, and i also eatwhole grain products and stuff like that. When i started that my symptoms started to appear again and werent completely bad just bothered compared to when i ate outside, or just ate alot of food healthy or unhealthy, i never had symptoms then usually 1 day in a month. Right now i have symptoms it feels like a warm feeling but not like an infection just like an inflammation and urge to urinate but not very bad, nocturnia. Veganism is ok but there are better ways to make your symptoms minimal from veganism, acidic would be urine ph of 4 and below, alkaline would be 8 when u have prostatitis symptoms its always 8 or higher, thats why it burns slightly. THat sounds very intresting, id like to know how your mris come out. Stay in contact!
Thanks! I fully agree. That diet is way too fanatical for me ;) I get nocturia sometimes, but there seems to be a correlation between laying on my lower left abdomen side and a worsening of the genitourinary symptoms. A neuromuscular positional problem seems very likely. Acidic foods do not worsen my symptoms at all, nor do cardonated drinks or citrus juices/fruits.

I theorize that a damaged muscle in my abdomen is in spasm and therefore the other peripheral muscles are trying to compensate for that weak muscle. Based on my comprehension of muscles, it should not hurt when palpating any muscle in the lower abdomen. Hopefully the MRI will reveal something that is fixable. Complete relief (though temporary) of all symptoms came on several occasions when getting an internal pelvic massage by a therapist I have been seeing. Sitting is a problem, too, especially when not on a doughnut cushion.  

Hopefully, Dr. Young's book can help you. I know it will if it is at least for the dietary guide. I'm not sure if I want to follow his recommendation to drink distilled water on a daily basis. Vitamins that you may want to try for general prostate health (assuming you haven't already) are vitamin e, selenium, quercetin with bromelain and zinc.

Sure, take care of yourself. I will certainly keep in contact.

Best,
centurion725
hey i had a chance to check out that book, he doesnt cover chronic prostatitis just plain normal prostatitis, its normal acute prostatitis. Basically his diet is high in zinc levels which he mentions that men get prostatitis due to low levels of zinc in the prostate, however it has already been proven that a zinc diet like the vegan one doenst raise the zinc levels in the prostate. You have to make the food convert into zinc, there is an amino acid that does this its called glutamine. Basically it raises your immune system which is wat vitamine c and zinc do combined, u take glutamine and it is converted and absorbed by the body. HMmm i may have discovered my own relief.
Yes, this looks promising. And you are right about Dr. Young just focusing on the acute form. Have a good day.

Best,
centurion725
Listen. You guys have herpes of the prostate. Herpes lives in the body and is dorment. Herpes is viral and there isn't a blood test to detect it. Diagnosis of herpes is difficult  because it lies dorment in the body and appears periodically. Causing pain in discomfort, dysuria and frequency, elevated PSA level etc. You get an outbreak on the surface of the prostate and goes away just like genital herpes. How do I know? My girlfriend has genital herpes and gave it to me. The only diffence between my herpes and hers is, I don't get lesions on my genitals but I do get prostatitis. Not saying that all of you have HERPES. Consider this culprit the cause of prostatitis. Valtrex once a days stopped my sypmtoms. You can't diagnose herpes by a blood test. You have culture the lesions before they crust over and i think a semen culture when you having sypmptoms only. Alot of men are suffering from prostate herpes and spreading this virus.
Thank you both so much.  I thought I was all alone.  Basically, don't know what I can do.  I've been suffering from this since Oct.  its been almost 4months.  It sounds like you guys have it on and off.  I've already had it for straight.  

The only treatment was cipro for 7days, which didn't do anything.

I'm seeing an urologist in 2 days.  Hopefully, I can find some answers there.

By the way, "stridrs" what's going on with you now?
Hi, You are quite welcome. I am very sorry to hear that you are suffering from this malady. You are far from alone, my friend. It is hard to say what is going on in anyone sub rosa just by appearance. There are probably thousands of men out there that live their lives undiagnosed because the symptoms do not interfere with their everyday lives. Sadly, it is usually when symptoms become acute that we tend to seek professional help. However, most of us will take a while to completely recover, but the challenge is working with your doctors to help facilitate a cure.

Did you doctor mention that your prostate was inflamed at all? Usually, this is the first place your urologist or GP will examine. In my case, my prostate was perfectly normal, though I had symptoms which were identical to, but not caused by, an inflamed prostate. Based on my comprehension of these various prostatitis like conditions, there can be one or many different etiologies occurring at the same time to cause much of the symptomology. Some men report that their prostates were normal, yet they have the exact same symptoms as men who have inflamed prostates. As it seems, there are many sequelae for some cases.  Diseases in the prostatitis family (Acute Bacterial Prostatits, Chronic Bacterial, Non Bacterial and Prostadynia (CPPS) can be caused by repetitive motion injuries, excessive exercise, high risk sexual encounters, bacteria, viruses, fungi, pelvic floor muscle strain, UG abnormalities and any series or combination of the aforementioned factors. I even read an intriguing article online that argued that adductor longus tendonitis can mimic prostatitis! Here is a link for your convenience: http://www.aafp.org/afp/20011015/1405.html. Jedispider has some valuable information regarding diet which you may wish to experiment with.

Bacterial prostatitis (acute and chronic) usually responds well to antibiotics, but if your prostatitis is caused by diet and or chronic muscle strain, then you need to try eliminating food which are known to aggravate the prostate and get your pelvic floor muscles evaluated for hypertonicity (overuse).

Some health care professionals say that too much or too little masturbation can engorge the prostate and cause inflammation unrelated to any infection of a malignant microorganism, but this, too, is a controversial topic.

Just hang in there. You will get better, but you will need to take a proactive approach and tenaciously seek out the probable causes for your condition. I am still being tested to rule out possible etiologies for my condition. All of my tests are coming back negative, for which I am ambivalent: I am elated and despondent at the same time: I shall expound: Naturally, on the one hand, I don't want to know that there is permanent damage or something appears on an exam which is virtually incurable; one the other, I want to know that something IS found and that it is fixable. Trust me, this is not a psychosomatic disorder, but that does not negate the fact that stress, anxiety and tension exacerbate any preexisting condition as Jedispider astutely mentioned in one of his earlier posts.

You have to ask yourself and cogitate deeply: what factor(s) may have led to the onset of your condition? If you can answer that question with a great degree of certainty and precision, then you may have found your means to a cure. Also, keep keenly aware of what factor(s) may alleviate your symptoms, as that too is very relevant to your recovery.  For me, I had complete (though temporary) relief from my symptoms after a pelvic massage from a PT, and those very effective massages didn't even seem to penetrate the prostate area, but were closer to the colon. Prostate massage may be releasing tension on either the prostate and or peripheral muscles in the pelvic floor. It's funny because all of the nerves and organs are inextricably linked, so if one organ is malfunctioning, you can get all kinds of weird neurological and non-urological symptoms like constipation, heaviness and all sorts of strange things, necessitating thousands of dollars in tests when in some cases there is just one cause :) Most of medical thinking is algorithmic, meaning when you come to the office complaining about vague, non-specific urological symptoms, doctors will most likely start from the top: STDs, diabetes, kidney disease, bladder disease, MS. As doctors acquire empirical information through testing, they can exclude or eliminate all of these conditions until they figure out the cause of yours.

Assuming that you haven't considered these already, here is a list of pathologies and diagnostic tests to consider are the following:

1) Prostate inflammation/DRE (Prostate texture, size, etc).
2) Urinalysis/Urine Culture/Urine Cytology.
3) Prostatic Fluid Culture (Strangely, all of the urologists I visited were reluctant to perform this test) Perhaps the nature and meaning of the test itself is controversial in urology. I'm not sure, but I have theories. I know anti-biotic are the first line of treatment for all prostatitis patients.
4) Cystoscopy (I've heard that some cases of NBC are actually Interstitial Cystitis) My doctor doesn't think I have the latter.
5) MRI of Pelvis.
6) Sense of fullness in the suprapubic pelvic area may suggest chronic muscle strain. Because we constantly use the pelvic muscles for micturition, defecation and for anchoring the body, they have little time to rest, but can be with proper exercise and relaxation techniques.

You will be ok, dude. Just hang in there. Try to get some sleep, enjoy your life despite your symptoms and rest assured that you are not alone and that you will eventually recover.

Very best,
centurion725
How are you doing, my friend? The Pelvic MRI, including scans of the full bladder, prostate and peripheral nerves all came out normal! No abnormalities whatsoever.

sincerely,
centurion725
Thank you for your information.  And reassurance.

I got lucky this week and was able to find an Urologist that would give me an diagnosis: CPP.  This is the first doctor that I've met to give me an diagnosis.  Its a relief for me.  Somebody actually believe me.  I'm not crazy. lol.  He happened to be very specialized in this problem.  He even wrote an article on it.  His argument was that acupuncture will improve pain, voiding symptoms and the quality of life of men with CPP.  He also did the study himself.  He then offered to treat me.  It will be a long treatment, about 6 wks.  Hopefully this will help, or maybe even cure it.

btw, he checked my prostate, Normal.    

You said you felt better after massaging the colon.  I have to say that I feel the same.  I've been thinking that my digestive system might have somthing to do with this, but no doctor were able to confirm or even agree with that.  I've noticed after the first on set of my symtom, I started to have constipation, (not seriouse but just not smooth, and comes out as round balls).  Feels like my ab feels kind of tight and uncomfortable.  Its been few months like that already (This is for sure NOT normal) I will ask my urologist this weekend.    

I'll keep you'll posted.  
Hi, Glad you have a diagnosis. I've had this for seven months, too. I'm sure it will help, but muscle strain takes a long time to heal, but you will gradually improve before reaching a full recovery. A book titled "A Headache in the Pelvis" by Dr. David Wise, et al. is a welcome read for men diagnosed with what is called idopathic pelvic pain syndrome. I am close to a diagnosis, though. My urologist is a decent and honest man and is reluctant to make wastebasket diagnoses that really don't help the patient. I don't trust anyone else.

Bowel movements definitely cause a dramatic increase in my pain which radiates to the lower abdominals, PC muscle and prostate region, but this is not to say that it is the origin of the pain. The pubococcygeous muscle acts like a hammock to support the reproductive organs. Theorhethically, any weakness or malfunction in that muscle can cause problems in the adjacent organs. My symptoms started with a pulling sensation in the rectal area, but it always went away until moving into the chronic phase. I began to suspect that the etiology for my condition was muscle strain when my father conducted a DRE exam and I felt total and complete relief for the entire day. My urologist also massaged my prostate which was not uncomfortable at all, but during the rest of the day the symptoms disappeared only to return due to bowel movements. The physical therapist I have been seeing said that she felt the problem was myofasical related and toward the posterior region of my pelvis. After she palpated my prostate, I felt no pain in the prostate at all.

I suggest you try increasing the amount of fiber in your diet (based on the assumption you don't eat enough fiber). Try Kellogg's Bran Buds twice a day or any cereal high in fiber that may help treat constipation and relieve any tension on your bowels. This is a natural treatment for constipation, and in several weeks should help restore your bowel movements to normalcy. A book on bowels by Dr. Jensen argues that a colema should help with constipation.

You have made an excellent point regarding the constipation. I am wondering if this is the culprit. Do you have urinary frequency and urgency?

Keep up your investigation. You'll be fine.

Sincerely,
centurion725
Thank you.

I don't really have urinary urgency, but a little bit of frequency.  I really only notice it at night time.  I never used to get up to go to the washroom, but now I do.  About 1 to 2 times every night.  Some how it is getting better. I only get up about 1 time now.  

The only other thing I noticed was that my urine stream is weak.  Much weaker than before.  Feels like I always have to push and it dribbles at the end.

I've actually been trying to eat a lot of fibre and started trying probiotics.  They are helping, but my stool still haven't gone back to normal.  It is still different.  I also recall that before the onset of this groin pain, I had diarea (diarrhea) for about 12 days and then it turned into constipation (because I was taking pills for the diarea (diarrhea)).  It was during that time that the symptoms came about.  Maybe I pushed too hard when I had the constipation. Anyways, I find it really weird that I still don't have normal stool till now.  Something definatly needs more investigation here.

I will ask my urologist about the bowel problem tomorrow.  I will let you know what he says.

Take care.
Good luck, man. Yes, I have a bit of urgency and frequency, too, at various points during the day and night. Kellogg's Bran Cereal with yogurt bites and fresh blueberries is delectable :) Perhaps you should try it :)

Yes, my stool isn't quite normal either.... And I don't know why... I wonder if a problem with one of the rectal organs is responsible for the constipation? It may be that an infection in the colon and or bowels could be causing inflammation that is affecting the other organs. Let's see what your doctor says. I'm curious about this for my own knowledge.

Pelvic floor dysfunction may be a potential cause for much of the symptoms in our case.

Yes, try to avoid pushing or straining either through micturition or defecation because it places added tension on already weakened muscles. I know this might be an archaic technique for bowel elimination, but try squatting above the toilet seat rather than sitting on it while moving your bowels. For many centuries, this is how our ancestors used to eliminate waste from the bowels :)

As for urination, the burning sensation or sensation of incomplete emptying may be coming from an irritated nerve(s) and muscles. Chances are that your bladder is emptying properly, but you don't feel as though it is, and the sensation of incomplete emptying is causing you to strain. Trust me. I fell into this trap, too. Maybe you should get a bladder ultrasound just to be sure and have your urologist check your PVR (post void residual). To my knowledge, anything between 70-100cc requires more testing - 50cc and below is relatively normal.

Keep in touch.

centurion725

Good evening. I just got the detailed MRI report for the pelvic area: everything is normal.

"The seminal vesicles are of normal size and configuration and homogeneous internal structure. The prostate gland shows normal size and configuration and homogeneous internal structure. The distended urinary bladder has smooth outer contours and normal wall thickness."

I guess the last sentence provided tremendous psychological relief and seems to rule out interstitial cystitits, but not PFD, which I do have. I hear that IC patients have thick and stiff bladder walls and contours.

Jedispider: How are you feeling this week?
groinpain: I just verified the source for the bowel suggestions in my latter most post: "Dr. Bernard Jensen's "Guide to Better Bowel Care: A Complete Program For Tissue Cleansing Though Bowel Management" pp 150-151. (Complications of the Modern Toilet)

Sincerely,
centurion725
Hi, I just got back from my Urologist and had my first acupuncture treatment.  There will be a total of 6 wks treatment, twice a wk.  

I havent' felt much yet, but he says I might feel even worse today.  And if I do, it is good news.  .....  I hope he is right.  Anyways, he seems to be very confident that I will cure.  He claims that the pain we are feeling now is due to "over sensitive" of our nerves around that area".  Something is imbalanced in my body he says.  According to Chinese medicine, my "Chi" is not smooth and there is blockage.  I can't belive this is coming out of a Western medical doctor... A Western specialized Urology doctor.  This actually makes it much more believable.  

However, he says the cause is unknown.  I might have injured something in my body and now things are imbalanced.  By doing acupuncture, he will help me balance it and I will be fine.

I've asked him about the connection between this and my bowel problem, but he didn't really give me a straight answer.  I will ask him again on my next treatment.

I have to go now, I'll finish my story later..

Excellent! Keep me apprised of your progress. Talk to you soon.

centurion725
My symptoms are back this week unfortunately.  Anyone have any links between Propecia and Prostatitis?  I've been on propecia for 4 years, and for the past 2 months, I started taking half pills (0.5mg) instead of whole pills (1mg) daily, and my pain subsided.  Then I started taking whole pills again, and my pain came back. I dunno if it was a coincidence or not.

Jedispier....I developed prostatitis symptoms about 3-4 weeks after I was diagnosed with gonorrhea. I was properly treated for gonorrhea and have tested negative since.  So are you saying it's possible that gonorrhea bacteria are hanging out in my prostate, and I would have no way of curing it?  It took a lot of medication, including 7 weeks of trimethoprim, 2 weeks of flagyl, and 4 weeks of cipro.
Here's something to consider. I suffer from prostatitis too. However my cause has been tied to prostate stones. I have two of them in my prostate and my doctor tells me that they can harbor bacteria...not to mention shift and irritate tissue. If you haven't had an ultra sound done to look for stones, I'd consider one.

In the meanwhile...since you've ruled out STDs. I would consider a strong course of herbal therapy. I'd suggest products containing Quercetin, Pumpkin Seed, Saw Pimento, Lycopene, and Pygeum. All of these help to reduce swelling and tenderness and are quite good for the prostate.

Oops.. I just read about your gonorrhea.. didn't read the last entry. lol. Something to consider here...gonorrhea can linger and harbor in the prostate. This is very true. I would suggest to your doctor to cut to the quick and ensure he's treated you with cephlasporins. You could have an antibiotic resistant strain of gonorrhea that is being really stubborn. Check for stones too. They could be a reservoir.
Brian, about a week after I contracted gonorrhea, I was diagnosed and treated with 250mg injection of ceftriaxone.  Thus, I was properly treated for gonorrhea, and have since tested negative about 5 times.  My question was whether my prostatitis can STILL be caused by the gonorrhea, even though I was adequately treated.
Well ceftriaxone is a cephasporin and I've been asking a question online here about if there are any reported cephlasporin resistant cases out there. So far I'm not aware of any and if there is.. they're too few to report. It seems that you treated the gonorrhea in a timely manner, so it seems improbable that it had enough time to do any serious damage to the prostate. Here's my concern though... I do know of one friend of mine who is in the exact same position you are in. He was treated, retested and was told he was negative, but now has issues with the prostate and his recent sex partner just came up with gonorrhea. Both claim being STD free before the test. So either someone is lying.. which is possible, or he's potentially harboring gonorrhea somewhere and was asymptomatic (other than the prostate pain).

I'm assuming you've done a swab culture and the DNA urinalysis? If both are coming up negative, you may have adequately treated the gonorrhea in the urinary track and you're just dealing with the potential aftermath. Or...you may have prostate stones and the bacteria is doing a Osama Bin Ladin on yah and resisting the antibiotic bombing you've been doing by nestling down into the prostate stones. Antibiotics have a difficult time reaching those kinds of reservoirs.

If I were you, I'd get an ultrasound done of the prostate...ask the doctor if more cephlasporins are needed, and go onto a strong herb prostate cocktail to reduce inflammation.
Oh.. and if stones are there....there's nothing that can be done for them other than to remove the prostate. They just can't be broken down and flushed out like kidney stones. For most men... they don't give them any problems...but for others they can be a constant source of irritation.
Hi, How are you feeling now?
I didn't get an answer from my doctor about relation between this and the bowel, he didnt' really answer it for me.

Anyways, do you have any of the following symptoms?  I just want to compare.
Lower back pain?
Headache?
armpit pain?
Under rib pain?

Note: The first session of acupunture really seemed to work (painless between scrotum and rectum, Painless scrotum, painless lower ab).  But they all came back. The 2nd time, he put the needles in different place.  Doesn't seem as effective.  I still have many sessions to go.  We will see.

Hi, Glad to hear from you. I have the symptoms everyday, but they are transient, buddy... The fatigue and lower back pain are common as is transient pain at the bottom of both feet. I don't get pain in the armpits or the lower ribs. Stress definitely leads to an exacerbation of symptoms, and diet has no effect whatsoever. There are times when I thought I had multiple sclerosis...

The only thing that gives me complete relief is a "prostate massage" of the surrounding muscles, and boy it feels so good to feel normal again. The massage usually is towards the back of the pelvis near the coccyx and sacrum. My theory is that the generalized weakness we both are feeling is due to the other muscles in our body trying to compensate for the weakness of our pelvic floor muscle. Maybe depression is a factor, too. I read that fibromyalgia and CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) are secondary symptoms of CPPS. You will be fine, pal. Just keep up your therapy and try to manage the symptoms as best you can. I may not be able to be cured, but I can learn to manage the symptoms so that I will be virtually pain free each day.

Please keep in touch.

Very Best,
centurion725
Hello, how are you feeling, my friend? Jedispider: how are you feeling lately? Hope you are doing well, too.

Groinpain:

I just had a urodynamic exam performed and it swiftly confirmed the primary cause of my symptomology: primary bladder neck dysfunction, which is reversible with medication and adjunctive physical therapy. My father and urologists all expect a full recovery. Now, my physical therapy has to be tailored to combat this specific problem. A diagnosis of CPPS is still generalized, but in some cases, the exact cause can be identified. I never thought my case was idiopathic or solely due to psychological distress.

The spasicity of our pelvic floor musculature may be a secondary response to the primary bladder problem, as the entire network is inextricably linked neurologically. It may be that prostatitis in select patients is simply a generalized diagnosis for seemingly inexplicable lower urinary tract symptoms, but with tenaciousness and a good degree of detective work, the exact cause may be found.

I carefully studied your responses for two weeks with the expectation of helping you and also your history of straining (comparable to my own) and suggest that you ask your doctor to consider bladder neck dysfunction as a possibility. If this is where the problem began, then it is likely it should be the focus of further investigation. Ultrasonography confirmed my diagnosis.

Based on my research, prostatitis like symptoms can be caused by bladder neck dysfunction, which has nothing to do with the prostate at all. My problems did begin in the bladder itself. After eight months of hell, I finally know what is causing my problems. Now I must work towards finding an effective treatment.

Since you and I have similar symptoms, I suggest that the possibility of bladder neck dysfunction be entertained.

Take care of yourself.

Best,
centurion
Hello Cenurion,

I'm glad you found the problem.  I think i'm still in the dark in terms of finding out what is the main cause.  However, last week for about 2-3 days I was pain free, I don't know how it happened or why.  Maybe it was the acupuncture maybe it was all the stretches and running that I've been doing.  Still don't know.  But for some reason the pain started to come back this week.  I'm still trying to figure out what casued it to come back.  According to my doctor, he said it might have been the extreme cold weather we had here.  I hope that was the case.  I am now trying to get it back under control.  Hopefully it will.  I am at least glad to know that pain free is possible, although it was only for 2 days.  It still gave me hope.   I am continuing with the acupuncture, it should end around end of this month.  

So u found out with ultrasonography.  Isn't that just ultrasound?  Is it a specific type of ultrasound?  What type of dysfunction is it?

I want to ask my doctor about it as well.  Thank you for the information.  

Groinpain.
Hi, your welcome. Exercise helps to greatly relieve symptoms for me as well, but sitting for long periods of time does cause some of the symptoms to return. I have had two days of remission as well. Our cases are so much alike, my friend.

Yes, ultrasonography is the general word for ultrasound, but this time, the scan was of the distended bladder not of the residual urine, and it showed images on a computer monitor in real time. The operator was able to get a realtime image of the bladder neck on this higher resolution scan. I had a cystometic flow which confirmed the diagnosis. The problem I have is called primary bladder neck dysfunction and there are dozens of urology papers that attribute this to being a major cause of prostatitis like symptoms in select young-male patients in our category (CPPS/prostadynia). This is a more specific type of CPPS/prostadynia where an exact etiology has been established. One thing I noticed is that the more homogeneous the symptoms are the harder it is to differentiate between diseases which are similar. I am glad they found something that is treatable.

Once bladder neck dysfunction is found it is treated with alpha blockers and physical therapy. As far as I know, many men with this problem greatly improve with exercise and physical therapy and many are completely cured in several years time.

Basically, PBND (primary bladder neck dysfunction) is caused when either the bladder muscles are hypotonic (underused) or hypertonic (overused). In younger men, it is presumed that physical activity and strenuous sex predisposes one to this condition. This is the exact cause in my case because the bladder neck is where I first felt the pain before it worsened.

I feel a combination of my athletic lifestyle (I worked out intensely during the period when the symptoms appeared) and mild masturbation (once every two days) may have led to a weakening of the surrounding muscles.

I think it is a safe bet that some guys in our "prostatitis" type group acquired this dysfunction from too much exercise, sex, stress and/or masterbation (masturbation) at a time when their bodies were already developing the physical manifestations of this condition. Yes, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that excessive/compulsive masturbation causes prostatitis per se (e.g. an inflammatory response in the prostate), but I am beginning to wonder if for some men pelvic floor weakness can be attributed to being too sexually active in the absence of an infectious organism? Human physiology can be enigmatic at times... So many of us have nearly identical symptoms but not the same cause for the same symptoms :) That's the confounding factor for physicians trying to study this problem. Could it also be that an overworked, though not inflamed prostate, could push on the surrounding tissues and muscles and cause vascular irritation in them? Anatomically the prostate hugs the bladder. Who knows, pal.

It's scientifically possible that presumed cases of sexually related prostatitis - those assumed to be caused by a fastidious organism - are in fact due to hypertonic muscles surrounding the male reproductive organs. It could also be that since many men and doctors associate sex with the onset of these symptoms that they often assume that an infection is always the case. I think this is a very complex, multifactorial and individualized problem for many of us, and a one size fits all approach is not going to lead to a panacea for all of us.

Take care of yourself, dude. Keep in touch.

Best,
Centurion
I neglected to mention that I relayed some information to my doctor about your particular case and he said that it may also be a tight bladder neck. Your history of straining could predispose you to this. Keep up your therapy with the acupuncture. Things seem to be looking more optimistic for both of us.

Best,
centurion
I have a chicken or egg question.  I don't mean to dispute your diagnosis, but I can't help to wonder if this Primary bladder neck dysfunction is a after effect of this spasm we have.  Because in my case, during the first on set, I didn't have that much of a frequency or urgency, but seemed like gradually started to happen over the first 2-3 weeks.  I hope you are right though.

I have to agree with you that your symptom is so simular to mine.  During the first on set, I also worked out intensely, and some mild masterbation (masturbation).  Infact, my first onset was during masterbation (masturbation).

Have you ever considered doing the standford protocal? What's your opinion on that?
Hi. You propose a fascinating question.... I like to cogitate on these things :) No, I don't think you are disputing it all, my friend, just asking a very important question.

Yes, it is hard to say definitively whether A led to B, B to A, or there was some simultaneous reaction between A and B which led to the onset of symptoms; however, I did notice that increased tension in that area after doing situps, masterbation (masturbation) etc, then felt a rectal pulling sensation that suggests increased pelvic floor muscle tension. Increased electrical activity (Kinetic energy through exercise) in those already weak muscles can wear them down, too. The good news is that these conditions can be corrected with physical therapy and stretching: Thank God!

I have kept a diary of all factors that have ameloriated or intensified my symptoms, and now see a pattern. In times of low stress, my symptoms are either non-existent or very minimal.

I have a strange feeling, and others have argued this as well, that we very likely have dyssynergia (an acquired functional voiding disorder of our pelvic muscles) of non neurogenic origins. I theorize that this happended to us because our muslces were stressed far beyond their tolerance point and needed to still perform their normal functions even in these inhospitable conditions. The chances of correcting such a disorder completely are excellent unlike some who have LUTS symptoms due to brain damage and demyelination of the brain like multiple sclerosis patients.

Think about this, my friend: Maybe our pelvic floor muscles are now taught to function in a very tense state rather than their normal state and tone. Try Yoga and see if it helps. I am going to start doing it regularly very soon. I know it is hard, dude, but it could be far worse... You are certainly not alone. I'm scared too, but our condition could be far worse.  

Take care of yourself. I will be in touch.

Best,
centurion

I think I have the non-bacterial also.  I went through a period of a lot of stress and masturbation.  I've noticed my pelvic muscles are stressed, and when relaxed it feels better,  The symptoms: painful ejaculation, pain in urethra, pain in testicles, pain in prostate, so urination or bowel movement problems but those are rare.  Went to urologist, did DRE ultrasound for stricute found nothing.  I think the non-b type is very closely stress related.  i mean it is not caused by bacteria or something foreign to the body, just stress and either over or underuse.  What I hear is things like relaxation, saw palmetto, zinc, cranberry etc etc.  I'm going to try the prosta-q but i think ultimately stress may not be the cause, but what prolongs the symptoms.  I think relaxing the muscles will help the healing.
Hi there -

If you google chronic pelvic pain in men you should get some good info.

Aj
i just recently got diagnosed as having prostatitis. i was so scared of an std and herpes. i got ruled out of stds after multiple check ups, tests, and physical examinations. i never once was tested for herpes so i am a little skeptical about that. i was told i need too see a psychiatrist. in their defense i was wired on stress, anxiety, lack of sleep for 12days, no water or food in this time. i got told originally that the discomfort i feel is in my head. when i felt discomfort i would ignore it and move on. i even went back too training as i fight competitive amateur boxing & train mix martial arts (not sanctioned in Ont.) here in Canada. i then made matters worse as i felt muscle pain & discomfort while sparing. i stopped training & running. i notice frequent urgency to urinate especially at night time, upset stomach, sore penis at the tip or under the head with shifting pain (some times right or left), clear pre *** like discharge, testicle discomfort, groin muscles soar, and other. i am only 22 years old. i want my old life back. i saw a female doctor recently on Friday after my family GP cause he refuses to send me too a specialist. i saw the female doctor who checked my lymph nodes in groin too find no issues. i know feel discomfort in my neck. i don't know whats going on with me. i just knew something was wrong. i hate being this little ***** of a person i been being. i am not this person & when i thought contemplated suicide, it was cause i never wanted people to see this side of me. Auntiejessi says i need help and i agree. i want too see this specialist asap. in hope too put this thing too rest forever. i want my life back, i want my condition, health, and strength back as i have lost so much weight and muscle mass. i know there are worse off people then i out there. you never appreciate how great you have it in life till disaster strikes. i wish everyone the best, cheers, & God bless.

- James
I am 24 and i have been having the same symptoms as many of you have... ESPECIALLY JAMESTOWN.   im so sorry you are going through this... trust me.. i know how horrible it is!  finally after several trips to various doctors i found a urologist who was able to diagnose me with something called Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome. also known as Chronic prostatitis.... they dont know what causes it.. they dont know where it comes from,  they dont know how to treat it... so they treat the symptoms.  I am on something called Uroxatral... and Valuum. It is helping... but i am still in some discomfort... thankfully.. its not nearly as terrible as it was. I was in as much pain as you are in.. probably more... now it seems dealable. But it is still annoying.  I just ordered a medicine called ProstaQ, its supposedly is supposed to treat the symptoms of P.P.S.  Im hoping that combined with the other meds, the symptoms will be illiminated all together and i will be able to resume my regular life... the life i once led... before this all began.  This has been so horribly emotional for me... and I myself have contemplated suicide... but ive found solice in meditation and prayer... it seems to be helping me focus... and i have a few friends who have dealt with chronic illnesses whom i can talk with for support.  I would recommend talking to a urologist about PPS it sounds like thats what you have. ALSO i would recommend getting in touch with others with chronic illnesses.. whether it be chronic fatigue, or fibromayalgia... these people can offer support to you because they know what it is to suffer from an illness on a daily basis, the emotional pain alone is enough to make one want to die.... trust me... i am going through it right now myself... its so difficult... i spent an hour today crying. right now its the emotional suffering that is the worst.  If anyone wants to contact me, to talk or share their experiences, or just for support,  you can email me at ***@****
                                         --Rick
hello and hi im a 25 year old male who had been experiencing some rectal discomfort from like april of this year i was also treated for chlamydia back in april of this year as well and up till lately didnt kno i was suffering from prostatitis until a specialist who confirmed this by doing a rectal exam i think its called  ruled that out last week and put me on Ciproflaxin for 7 days i recently completed it an also have been doing warm water salt sits and thats seems to be somewhat working he also said at my age i should not be having this problem i must also add that i did my HIV 1 and 2 test in april and its negative thats possibly night months after being with my present girlfriend shes also negative my VDRL, Mono and FBC are all clean im just experiencing some lymph node problems which the specialist says could arrive from me having this infection he gave me an additional  10 day supply of Levofloaxcin 1 pill a day for 10 days and i have to go see him back in 6 weeks im also havin some joint and back pains i dont kno if all of that happens when u have prostatitis. im jus looking for ideas cause i hurt all over elbows, knees, neck just hurts please shed some light on what can be wrong and what other steps i can take

I've told you that you should post in the Urology forum.  You really might get some good answers there.

Aj
i did try there no response yet tho takes forever to get a response in there
Prostititus is difficult to treat.  There are different kinds. I have been dealing with it since 2006.  Some months are better than others.  Just relax....but the biggest thing of all....don't let the symptoms play with your head with regard to STDs.  Thats where I failed when I first began dealing with prostititus. Thought for sure I had some STD of sort.  I have been to doctors and a urologist to boot. I have done a lot of research on the subject.  Some refer to it as a disease.  Some say it varies from person to person on whether it is curable. Some will will have a short bout....while others unfortunately will have to manage it for the rest of their lives. I'm beginning to think thats where I'm at with it. Let me share with you some of the symptoms associated with prostititus. They are....
1) Testicle pain
2) Lower back pain
3) Pain upon ejaculation or discomfort
4) Mild burning during urination
5) Frequent urination (especially at night)
6) Symptoms are most noticable during long periods of sitting.
7) The feeling of being unable to empty your bladder....like you have to go again.
8) Erectile dysfunction (Sometimes) You can achieve an erection...but hard to maintain. Sometimes during ejactulation...you miss out on the heightened experience or pleasure of it all. Sometimes...you can maintain an erection...but have difficulty with ejaculation.
9) Pain in the anus
10) Pain between the anus and scrotum.
11) Subtle pain in your inner upper thighs.
Now....I'm not saying you will experience all of these symptoms at one time....but expect to get a mixed bag of symptoms while you work your way through it. The professionals are not really sure what causes it.  Some say its due to stress....which when that happens the pelvic floor around your prostate area tightens up. This causes problems which ultimately creates the symptoms you are feeling. I have also read that prostititus can be caused from a combination of frequent ejaculation and excessive drinking (alcohol). However....I'm not really sure how true that is.  The point is...many doctors don't know how to treat it....because they don't now enough about it.  Doctors can diagnose it....but are at a loss to treat it. Try to stay away from spices, coffee, and alcohol.  It only seems to agitate it. Drink plenty of water....no matter how much you are inconvienienced with having to urinate. If you have any other questions....just ask. Also....prostititus is more prevelant with age. Particularly in the 40 range and above.  However...all ages can experience it. I began mine when I was 35.  Good luck.
yeah its weird the reason i took the chlamydia test in april is cause my girl friend said she had some pains while peeing and all then couple weeks after her mentioning she had that is  when my pains started experiencing back pains and and painful urination also back pains i was given doxycycline and flagyl which seemed to have cleared it up its around the same time in april thats when i started with the rectal discomfort i kno ive read that std's can cause prostitus in young male like myself who is jus 25 im scared too cause i have lymph nodes poppin up and pains in my neck, and underarm at times which go and come soo too is a mild pelvic pain is really discomforting cause im reading bacterial prostitus can cause infertility and im pose to get married next year to my gf and i dnt want to be told i cant have kids that would really crush me and us both i kno in 2006 i had a UTI i dnt know if its this that has caused this pain and discomfort im going trough i also have headaches and chest pains i dont know if its from the medicines im taking but i kno i have to go check the specialist in 6 weeks he said its nothing to worry bout but he also mentioned someone my age shouldnt have this problem
Oh wow - I'm sorry.  You all can post here, then.  I just checked the urology forum and noticed soooo many unanswered posts.

I can't guarantee anything about these posts - its not my area of expertise, so to speak, but will leave you all alone to talk about it.

:)

Keep checking the urology forum though - maybe you'll get a response.

Aj
its ok Aj thanks for letting us use here to do the postings
We've had some issues with longer threads loading for people, so at some point, you might want to start a new thread.   You can call it prostatitis, continued or something.

Aj
but aj is there way where i can merge this thread with the new one i would want to start?
No, unfortunately.  :(

And if we could, that would end up with the same problem.  We can link it though.

Aj
also do u think i can get more information on this problem at a nex website aj cause my body aches more than nething i tried the prostatisis.org site but the forums there are closed
I don't know what a nex website is?

i wanted to post a question for one of the online doctors but seems like you have to pay eh?
yes, you have to pay $15.

Aj
Hi, I am deeply sorry for all of the misery all of you are experiencing with the various prostatitis syndromes. You have my support, guys. I would rather seek a consultation from a doctor who has lived with prostatitis rather than one who just researches it. Dr. Wise's "A Headache in the Pelvis" had a story of such a doctor who treats prostatitis patients. I have had CPPS/Chronic Prostatitis/Prostatodynia for two years with bouts of remission and exacerbation with no clear explanation or definable cause. I do know what the cause is in my case, but it is not seen as something scientifically sustainable, only by those who propound a pelvic floor aetiology. I relatively young like most of you 26, too.

As many of you had, I have had a myriad of tests: everything seems and often is very normal: pelvic MRI, lumbar MRI, 10 DREs, urinalysis. Prostate seems "perfectly normal." No risk for diabetes, excellent cholestrol, no risk for heart-disease, 5 comprehensive blood tests: No deficiencies or abormalities. Nothing... If I were to be cured of this debilitating malady, I would be 100 percent normal in terms of health.

The best reassurance I can give you is that this condition does not seem to cause impotennce, infertility or any other serious problem. Don't consider getting your prostate removed either, because I think for men, living without the possibility of having sex is worse that living with the pain of the prostatits. I have a feeling that the bladder neck is involved in these systems, as the bladder neck contracts very aggressively during masterbation (masturbation) or sex to produce an orgasm. The only thing the doctor found wrong with me was on a sonogram, my bladder neck was "very prominent." My research into this condition says that problems in the bladder neck muscle can mimic "prostatitis" symptoms (Nitti et al 2005). Reseach suggests that minor surgery on this part of the bladder/prostate can either greatly relieve or eliminate the symptoms, but I am not willing to take the risk until all avenues of treatment have been exhausted.

One thing I find fascinating in a study I read is that prostate size doesn't seem to correlate with the severity of symptoms, nor does removing the prostate elimitate pain in everyone; the opposite seems true, and this bolsters the claim that the prostate may not even be largely involved in this subset group of the conditon at all. I have a feeling that the word prostatitis is limiting in this sense, and many of us in the non-bacterial/CPPS category do not have "true" prostatitis, but something quite similar, yet poorly understood that displays a similar spectrum of symptoms. It seems as if a half-dozen disorders can cause or mimic prostatitis :(

I won't lie to any of you: I was masterbating (masturbating) more than usual during the time of onset, but I was also quite physically active as well and very stressed out. At least in my case, when I felt symptoms in the earliest stages of this disease, it felt as if my bladder neck muscle had contracted around my prostate, and the contracture caused pain in my lower back. To break such a forceful spasm, I strained and strained until the symptoms got worse over time, probably because of increased tension in the peripheral muscles. Abstaining from masterbation (masturbation) didn't help either, even when the symptoms were relatively tolerable.

Stress seems to be an initiating factor that leads to an exacerbation of symptoms, but doesn't cause the disorder itself. I am convinced, as many of your posts indicate, that this is a disorder caused by some neuromuscular dysfunction of the muscles and nerves surrounding the prostate gland which are presenting themselves as a chronically infected prostate. The cause may be multifactorial, but in the NBP/CPPS cause, probably neuromuscular.

The good news is that everyone that I have spoken to in the medical community has stated that these muscles can be restored to near or complete functionality, but only with extreme effort on the part of the patient, and some great restoration of function is only seen after years of physical therapy.

I have indentified in my case extreme often complete reversal of symptoms when something inside the perineaum was palpated, not the prostate, but the pain returns...  It doesn’t happen all the time, but I noticed it several occasions, whether I did it myself, a urologist, or a physical therapist. Nobody can explain this, but I wanted to share this with you hoping that it would offer some kind of answer or relief.  Try researching on the possible benefits of a “prostate” massage. It is controversial within the medical community, but doesn’t seem to be harmful to the gland at all. I would suggest that anyone willing to explore this as a threaputic option consult a qualified medical professional first.  

My best advice for you guys is to keep a journal of all of the events, foods, and situations that seem to ameloriate or exacerbate your symptoms. Look for patterns or anything that could pinpoint a possible cause/causes. Most importantly, don't let this *$%T cause other chronic health problems, don't let it cause you to loose/gain weight, loose sleep, or become a hypochondriac. I often get depressed, too, but I still struggle to go on everyday.
Hi guys
I started this post in 2007..have been away for a while. I'm afraid nothing much has changed for me. As I had reported above, my first doc can't find anything. The new doc went to says the same thing - its NOT any STD but he can't diagnose it either. Shot in the dark - Interstitial Cystisis. I haven't gone back to him yet...thought I'd do some more research. Symptoms come and go..its never been as bad as the first time though. I go 3-4 times a night sometimes. There's the feeling of not having emptied, going frequently..all the standard stuff. I get a burning sensation occassionaly, i notice it when i haven't had enough water. also the burning sensation is VERY fleeting....it's there for a second or so. I'm thinking of checking out another doc soon - hope I can get this to end. It's really becoming a nuisance. Hope you guys are doing well.
best
s
Hi got prostatitus 3 months ago. No STD found after many tests.

Cleared up over 3 months of doxy.

Still feel a little fatigued, neusea and stressed out and anxiety that it may come back.

From time to time also have painfully lymph nodes not swollen.

Last most anoying is burning numb feet ???? Driving me crazy anyone else ?
Hi Stridrs.

I may know what your disease is. I feel its unfortunate that you started the symptom since 2007 and now is 2010 and you still have not found a cure, and no urologists were able to identify the problem in you.
Basically you have NGU (given your age) which any urine and blood test will not be able to pick up the bacteria (standard STD tests are very unlikely to be able to accurately identify inflammation problems).

You need to take 2 more tests by your urologist:

1. You need to have mucus secretion extracted from your penis tip (inside urethra) and examined under the microscope for the NGU bacteria. Before taking the test, you cannot urinate for at least 4 hours in order for your urethra to be able to capture enough mucus secretion to study.

2. Another extract is watery secretion from your prostate to be examined under microscope as well for NGU bacteria. This requires your urologist to finger into your anus and push out the secretion which will come out from your penis front (out through urethra). This requires you to urinate before you do this test so urination can clean out anything in the urethra before the secretion goes through it for capture and study.

Once it is confirmed that your 2 types of secretion has NGU bacteria (no bacteria from for first test does not mean there is no bacteria in your body, it could mean the bacteria got into prostate and the second test is the only way to identify anything as you mentioned as you on and off had cipro and other antibiotics for just a week or 2 this could only eliminate the bacteria in shallow areas like urethra give the length of treatment.)

For the second test, depending on how densely populated the bacteria is in your secretion, 1 area patch under microscope study showing more than 15-20 bacterial cells means you have serious infection.

Treatment-wise, you need to go on a cocktail of antibiotics for at least 12 weeks depending on severity. This is because it is very very hard for antibiotics to pass through the prostate walls, expect a dose of antibiotics  be only 20% effective infiltration to the prostate compared to other urinary tract areas. The only way to win over the bacteria is by taking it as long as it needs to eradicate it. You should have the 2 tests conducted once a month for the duration period of the treatment to monitor the reduction in bacteria growth.

Cocktail set to be taken together: Erytromycin (your infection could be resistant to doxycyline since you had it for more than a year, so this one is better if you have never had it before), metronidazole 200mg, neo-tac 150mg, and some stomach drugs like cimetidine if you experience discomfort in the bowel.

If you are reading this or anyone who has the symptoms and not able to identify any STD's, please see a more experienced urologist and have it rectified asap (NOT GP), as the further the disease stays in your prostate, the higher the chances you might get sterile and ineffective of any antibiotic treatment, and you will pass it onto anyone you come across to have sex with for life!

May God bless you and Good Luck!
Hey guys. Question for you that have been dealing with this for sometime. I am a 30 yr old male. Recently had a bad case of bb that lasted for 6 hours before ejaculation, during which time I noticed a strange feeling of very high pressure, as if forced. I didn't notice any discoloration during that time, but over the next few days, things have been getting worse. What started as specs of blood and jelly like substance, it has now increased in volume and seems as if "tissue" is coming out in brownish color. I'm a bit worried w/ no health insurance so going to the doc is out of the question. My lower back begins to hurt after ejaculation and lasts for while, subsiding as the day goes by. It has only been 2 weeks since the whole thing started. Any advice? should I stop masturbating? For how long? from my research, it seems as if its prostatitis. No problems urinating, no burn, no pain during ejaculation except for more pressure. No STDs as far as I'm aware. Received oral w/ out a condom so? Looking forward to anyone's response.
Is Centurion still on here?
I found this board on a Google search and your posts sound similar to mine. I have some questions if you're still around.
I been told i have prostatis, No stds and have had a prostate massage to get fuild to be tested, and that was neg. i went on cipro for a month before that. My feeling im having is a tingling near the for skin side of the penis. I also have and cramping or bad tigling at the end of the urine stream. I fully expell all urine, so no drip or feeling like I have to keep going. It flows normal and then at the end the cramping/ extreme tingling feeling comes. I can pinch my forskin and all pain goes away. It last about two days and then Im fine for a month or two. My wife has Herpes, can this be a cause?
hi dear  i have absolutly same symptoms as your....doctor did prostatic dirct test  nad said i have chronic infection...but no anti biotic has helped me till date....

pls advice me the test i sould ask my doctor to do...i have some old pain in my left leg and lower back pain also ..as i sit all day long in office....

i am reachable on

***@****
***@****
***@****

+965 97267344
I was treated for this STD at my local clinic...in the spring of this year... and the year before tested for all STDs went to the ER a month ago for blood drips from my penis they took a clen catch and tested it but there were no signs of an STD or any infections have trouble passing stool now feels like its stuck but no bloating in my stomach,but back pain in the lower back but does not go around to my abdomen. They said humeteria. But no sign of infection...really confused what should I do???
I had went to a local clinic was treated for trichomanas witj an antibiotic, followed doctors orders and now I am having trouble passing stools.was informed by my doctor my prostate was slightly swollen and I had a couple of hemmoroids (hemorrhoids) too Iwas also tested for all STDs and Aids..came out negative a year ago. I recently went to the ER because I had a couple drops of blood come from my penis...thought UTI but after clean catch urine sample no signs of infection or disease. No pain in my abdomen but pain in lower back below my kidneys. Worried about this now was told it was humeteria and to see a urologist. But have no insurance at present what should I do?
Start your own thread please